El Equipo para Todos - The Team for Everyone

Starting a thread to talk about the new generation of fans inspired by this team and it's exciting new style.

Been talking with Alejandro about his idea of El Equipo para Todos - a Team for Everyone representing a country where everyone is from somewhere else.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1072288/8224730 - shared in the Podcast forum and will drop new episodes there. 

Wanted to create a thread to talk about stories like Alejandro's, who is from South America but cheers for Canada over his native country and is passionate about the team because it represents stories like an Alphonso Davies, who first came to this country as a refugee and now returns as an international superstar and European Champion.

Who else has seen examples of Canada being first choice for soccer supporters for a change? Where are fans on this forum from? Who else do you cheer for?

Mom born in England but grew up in Hudson, QC.  Dad Mohawk from Kahnawake where lacrosse is king. Always wondered what a soccer team from Kahnawake would be like if soccer was as popular as lacrosse.

Grew up in Blackburn east of Ottawa playing at the “Hornet’s Nest” for Gloucester 1970s where Randy Ragan and Bruce Wilson came and visited our team in ‘85. Never supported any other country but then again I don’t have any real links to another. 

Looking forward to reading other stories. Good idea for a thread. 

Always been a Canada fan, the first game I saw was an exhibition in Montreal, Canada against Paris St. Germain in the late 70s, I also was a huge fan of France, I used to buy L'Equipe and France Football and went to France for the 98 World Cup and got to see them play against Denmark.

Given that one side of my family descended from United Empire Loyalists and the other side from a soldier in Wolfe's army an odd choice.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

This is fantastic and a great talking point/topic. Also good ammunition for the ongoing fight against soccer naysayers actively suppressing progress. (Talking about people actively bashing it with agenda not just because they dont like it. To each there own on that end)

Advocacy stats status material is always a good thing.

I am English/Canadian, moved here in 2007, started following Canada more closely a few years later. While I follow both I am certainly far more invested in the Canadian game because that's my community and where I call home now. I both want to and feel obligated to give back to it where I can.

With England I am very far removed from it other than checking results when I remember and watching the bigger competitions.

Other than the geographic distancing there are rarely any England games on tv here. I was also always more invested when my club players were involved which has been a while. 

I am a big proponent of supporting the community you are in but also not forgetting where you come from and what people have given you. Although some people want to forget there past for whatever reasons, sometimes very legitimately. That's fine too.

I watched on tv with family and friends when England played Canada in the womens world cup and supported Canada while the others in my family supported England. Win win though on those occasions lol. I watch both England and Canada games that tournament.

Edited by toontownman

11 minutes ago, toontownman said:

This is fantastic and a great talking point/topic. Also good ammunition for the ongoing fight against soccer naysayers actively suppressing progress. (Talking about people actively bashing it with agenda not just because they dont like it. To each there own on that end)

Advocacy stats status material is always a good thing.

I am English/Canadian, moved here in 2007, started following Canada more closely a few years later. While I follow both I am certainly far more invested in the Canadian game because that's my community and where I call home now. I both want to and feel obligated to give back to it where I can.

With England I am very far removed from it other than checking results when I remember and watching the bigger competitions.

Other than the geographic distancing there are rarely any England games on tv here. I was also always more invested when my club players were involved which has been a while. 

I am a big proponent of supporting the community you are in but also not forgetting where you come from and what people have given you. Although some people want to forget there past for whatever reasons, sometimes very legitimately. That's fine too.

I watched on tv with family and friends when England played Canada in the womens world cup and supported Canada while the others in my family supported England. Win win though on those occasions lol. I watch both England and Canada games that tournament.

Is this still a thing in Canada? I honestly feel like it's been 20 years since I've heard someone crap on soccer. I still find people that don't care or know very little but Soccer in Vancouver and the lower mainland plays a prominent part of our communities. Getting people excited about our national team is another question 

TSN’s coverage by the old heads is embarrassing like the story on Cyle Larin one of the dinosaurs kept referencing “the European soccer market” as if this was 2001 and people didn’t understand transfers. If people get footy they get it! That’s the target market - we’re not trying to educate people who in 2021 don’t follow/understand the sport yet. It’s crazy that you could have a job at a “major” network and not understand footy. Even the “footy guy” didn’t seem to understand as he said “there isn’t free agency like in North America” uhh? Yes there is. 

Grew up as an absolute soccer hater. Like a 'this is not a real sport' hater. But I happened to be in Australia when they beat Uruguay in penalties to qualify for the world cup for the first time in decades, and the joy in the Australian fans was infectious. Been following team Canada ever since. 

I may have overcorrected though, because when the Euros are on I am the obnoxious guy in my friends who goes 'yeah but did you see the lineup Canada put on against Martinique?!?!'

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Is this still a thing in Canada? I honestly feel like it's been 20 years since I've heard someone crap on soccer. I still find people that don't care or know very little but Soccer in Vancouver and the lower mainland plays a prominent part of our communities. Getting people excited about our national team is another question 

Come help us out in Saskatchewan lol

Bare in mind this is absolute click bait but this guy has done two of these in the Star Phoenix the past week or so.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thestarphoenix.com/opinion/columnists/tank-saskatoon-swaps-thoroughbred-wagering-for-big-gamble-on-soccer/wcm/6092cec9-a8ef-468d-9f1b-c3f67cade43f/amp/

There is good reason for some "football" and hockey die hards to crap on soccer. Once parents start seeing the pathway the CPL provides there is going to be a swing.

Edited by toontownman