Jules-Anthony Vilsaint

bwilly11

I’ve been playing a EA FC player career game with Vilsaint. It’s season 3, after a successful move to Genk, where he won the Belgian golden boot in his first season, he’s on the verge of getting transferred to Dortmund, though Atletico Madrid are trying to swoop in at the last minute as are Fullham.

What I’m saying is that I expect his real life career journey to look similar. 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

16 MLS games, 3 goals, 21 years old.

How much longer until he joins the Tani/JRR/Kerr watchlist for a national team call, I wonder?

Also eligible for Haiti, let's remember. 

We have to be a bit strategic with all these young promising strikers emerging in MLS when it comes to selecting or rotating the 3rd/4th striker. For sure Haiti would love to land him. JRR may be the most deserving but he's capped, so brining in a Tani/Vilsaint to the friendlies may be prudent. Not cap tying but ensuring that they know they are a part of the Cdn pool.  At the very least Canada Soccer must keep in contact with them and let them know that they are being closely monitored. If not for the next 5 games, call them up vs Mexico/USA. I fear GC 2025 would be too late for someone like Vilsaint especially if he keeps producing.

30 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

We have to be a bit strategic with all these young promising strikers emerging in MLS when it comes to selecting or rotating the 3rd/4th striker. For sure Haiti would love to land him. JRR may be the most deserving but he's capped, so brining in a Tani/Vilsaint to the friendlies may be prudent. Not cap tying but ensuring that they know they are a part of the Cdn pool.  At the very least Canada Soccer must keep in contact with them and let them know that they are being closely monitored. If not for the next 5 games, call them up vs Mexico/USA. I fear GC 2025 would be too late for someone like Vilsaint especially if he keeps producing.

Yeah if Haiti 🇭🇹 has a chance at him then we need to cap tie him now

I'd respectfully disagree on the need to cap tie him now. Not only is Haiti significantly below us in the food chain but they also are essentially a national team in exile due to recent events, with the Afghan national team being the closest parallel.

If he is someone who is unwilling in spite of all that to wait for even a year, despite being a 21 years old player who can only hope to start due to a ridiculous wave of injuries, then odds are he has the kind of personality we probably don't want him around the CMNT anyway...

Thankfully there is no sign of this being the case.

1 hour ago, phil03 said:

I'd respectfully disagree on the need to cap tie him now. Not only is Haiti significantly below us in the food chain but they also are essentially a national team in exile due to recent events, with the Afghan national team being the closest parallel.

If he is someone who is unwilling in spite of all that to wait for even a year, despite being a 21 years old player who can only hope to start due to a ridiculous wave of injuries, then odds are he has the kind of personality we probably don't want him around the CMNT anyway...

Thankfully there is no sign of this being the case.

While I agree re Haiti's rankings & social turmoil, a guaranteed WC spot for Canada and a better chance to make our squad didn't sway players like Sigur, Mitrovic & Flores. Yes all 3 of Croatia, Serbia & Mexico are ranked ahead of us, but it also makes it more difficult for those players to actually make those squads. Re personality, we have  welcomed players that opted to play for other nations at youth level or just held out hoping they would be called by their #1 choice. Sometimes logic doesn't always apply with player decisions. Farsi probably has more of a challenge making Algeria as does Aidan Morris for the USA. We don't play many games although I hope that changes.  The opportunities to expand the player pool have been slim to date.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

While I agree re Haiti's rankings & social turmoil, a guaranteed WC spot for Canada and a better chance to make our squad didn't sway players like Sigur, Mitrovic & Flores. Yes all 3 of Croatia, Serbia & Mexico are ranked ahead of us, but it also makes it more difficult for those players to actually make those squads. Re personality, we have  welcomed players that opted to play for other nations at youth level or just held out hoping they would be called by their #1 choice. Sometimes logic doesn't always apply with player decisions. Farsi probably has more of a challenge making Algeria as does Aidan Morris for the USA. We don't play many games although I hope that changes.  The opportunities to expand the player pool have been slim to date.

In term of personality I meant not being willing to wait a year for what is evidently a better opportunity, and one for the country where he actually grew up. I don't mind players who have us as a second choice playing for the national team but someone who would be that impatient and quick to the trigger wouldn't be a good look IMO...

On Morris and Farsi I'd respectfully disagree. Morris got a gold cup call-up immediately afterwards and Farsi is going to be a depth option for both countries in any case.

Furthermore, the argument for Mitrovic, Sigur and Mitrovic can work the other way too: they still went with the higher ranked option and the one they (or at least their families) had the more attachments too, even if its harder to make that squad. In Villsaint's case its Canada who would be in that position.

Edited by phil03

12 minutes ago, phil03 said:

In term of personality I meant not being willing to wait a year for what is evidently a better opportunity, and one for the country where he actually grew up. I don't mind players who have us as a second choice playing for the national team but someone who would be that impatient and quick to the trigger wouldn't be a good look IMO...

On Morris and Farsi I'd respectfully disagree. Morris got a gold cup call-up immediately afterwards and Farsi is going to be a depth option for both countries in any case.

Furthermore, the argument for Mitrovic, Sigur and Mitrovic can work the other way too: they still went with the higher ranked option and the one they (or at least their families) had the more attachments too, even if its harder to make that squad. In Villsaint's case its Canada who would be in that position.

Let's hope the Jan camps are reinstated or we play in every window going forward. The Jan camps were great for bringing in players from MLS or other Euro leagues not in season and provided the opportunity to grow the player pool, blood young players and keep them connected and involved with the CMNT.

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Let's hope the Jan camps are reinstated or we play in every window going forward. The Jan camps were great for bringing in players from MLS or other Euro leagues not in season and provided the opportunity to grow the player pool, blood young players and keep them connected and involved with the CMNT.

Agreed, its needed. It will all come down to exactly how good Blue is at finding money. Like, is he good or really good?

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 8:48 PM, dyslexic nam said:

All I know is that I am really hoping he can bang in one more goal to maybe get a Topps Now card.  I would definitely be putting an order in.   

Come on man.   

Still didn't get one 😞

Edited by narduch

Per Arash Madani, Vilsaint was quoted after the last game as saying that he hasn’t heard from Canada since a camp call for the U20 team years ago, though Haiti has shown interest:

https://x.com/arashmadani/status/1789481594299781125?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

Tweet is in response to an earlier tweet saying that Canada’s top priority once they get the website fixed (lol) is capping this kid, but I don’t know if that’s fact or editorializing. 

21 hours ago, phil03 said:

I'd respectfully disagree on the need to cap tie him now. Not only is Haiti significantly below us in the food chain but they also are essentially a national team in exile due to recent events, with the Afghan national team being the closest parallel

With the new qualifying format they have a decent shot at qualifying. 

Plus I've noticed their domestic league is back up and running after a 4 year hiatus.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

With the new qualifying format they have a decent shot at qualifying. 

Plus I've noticed their domestic league is back up and running after a 4 year hiatus.

On the new format I would agree with you if the country wasn't in such a state as it currently is and re their league return I believe that was before the final collapse of central authority in the country, altough I could be wrong on that one.

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Per Arash Madani, Vilsaint was quoted after the last game as saying that he hasn’t heard from Canada since a camp call for the U20 team years ago, though Haiti has shown interest:

https://x.com/arashmadani/status/1789481594299781125?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

Tweet is in response to an earlier tweet saying that Canada’s top priority once they get the website fixed (lol) is capping this kid, but I don’t know if that’s fact or editorializing. 

“What are we doing” is such a funny response to this situation. I’m not sure Canada really needed to contact Vilsaint in the past couple of years. He was a sporadic bench player for Montreal last season. Hell they put him on the Gold cup prelim roster for 2021 when he was playing amateur ball in Belgium for the Antwerp Reserves.

Should they maybe talk to him this summer if he keeps it up? Sure but Arash acting like this is another failure from the CSA is hilarious 

3 hours ago, Atlantic said:

“What are we doing” is such a funny response to this situation. I’m not sure Canada really needed to contact Vilsaint in the past couple of years. He was a sporadic bench player for Montreal last season. Hell they put him on the Gold cup prelim roster for 2021 when he was playing amateur ball in Belgium for the Antwerp Reserves.

Should they maybe talk to him this summer if he keeps it up? Sure but Arash acting like this is another failure from the CSA is hilarious 

He has just started  b eing a first team player, I hope our CNMT scouts have been monotoring him , and I am sure they have. Why is Madani causing contreversy when there is no contraversey to begin with 

14 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah if Haiti 🇭🇹 is showing more interest in him then chances are he will probably play for them especially since Canada 🇨🇦 isn't doing enough to show their interest by capping him. Plus Haiti 🇭🇹 have a real shot probably at qualifying for 2026 especially if USA, Mexico and Canada automatically qualify. It makes it somewhat easier for them as a nation to qualify for USA-Mexico-Canada 2026 and if that happens, Jules could play for them. But if we cap him now and feature him in friendlies between now and 2026, then greater the chances of him committing to us than Haiti I'm just saying.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2024 at 11:15 PM, Atlantic said:

I’m tooting my own horn here but he’s not looked good these last few games. He’s somewhere in the picture I’m sure but the suggestion that him not being cap- tied is a travesty is was such an exaggeration 

David

Larin

Ugbo

Cavallini

Bair

(Jebbison)

Brym

JRR

Oluwaseyi

Colyn

Kerr

Cambridge 

Likely missed someone but Vilsaint is probably sat above Cambridge and maybe kerr/colyn. It's nice to have depth. I'd like to think we would reach out but he doesn't look like a red hot priority. Hope we did contact Tani Oluwaseyi though.

58 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

I’m tooting my own horn here but he’s not looked good these last few games. He’s somewhere in the picture I’m sure but the suggestion that him not being cap- tied is a travesty is was such an exaggeration 

Definitely seeing and getting some DSC vibes here.  Totally different player from one match to the next.  Some moments of brilliance, and then we have the last 2 weeks.  Mind you, the whole team is falling apart around him so I could understand that situation might be complicated from a focus perspective.  Lots of them have looked awful.

10 hours ago, toontownman said:

David

Larin

Ugbo

Cavallini

Bair

(Jebbison)

Brym

JRR

Oluwaseyi

Colyn

Kerr

Cambridge 

Likely missed someone but Vilsaint is probably sat above Cambridge and maybe kerr/colyn. It's nice to have depth. I'd like to think we would reach out but he doesn't look like a red hot priority. Hope we did contact Tani Oluwaseyi though.

Pretty comprehensive list but I’d have Kulenovic and Promise David on there too if Cambridge is on it. 

Posted (edited)

Honestly, WHEN the guy play to his potential he genuinely look like one of the most promising young strikers in MLS. Consistency is the main issue with Vilsaint. If he manage to get that both the Impact and, to a lesser degree, Canada would hit the jackpot.

Edited by phil03