Auro for CanMNT?

Obinna

6 hours ago, Xavier. said:

Bump because apparently a rule change makes him eligible for CanMNT once he lives here for 5 years. Funes Mori would've not been able to switch to Mexico otherwise (played for Argentina U20 + a Friendly)

Also was in a Canada jersey on instagram today (Laryea's) 

Makes sense he would wear jersey of the best right back in the league.  Always good to aspire to something.

I really hope this doesn't gain traction.  When ZBG can't even get a sniff, I'm not sure we need someone 3 years older in the fold as well.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

Makes sense he would wear jersey of the best right back in the league.  Always good to aspire to something.

I really hope this doesn't gain traction.  When ZBG can't even get a sniff, I'm not sure we need someone 3 years older in the fold as well.

If he goes through the process, follows all the rules and wants to play for Canada, not sure why anyone would oppose it. The more competition, the more depth, the better. Not sure I'd put him as a top four choice for outside back, but as extra depth, I wouldn't complain about having him as an option. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

If he goes through the process, follows all the rules and wants to play for Canada, not sure why anyone would oppose it. The more competition, the more depth, the better. Not sure I'd put him as a top four choice for outside back, but as extra depth, I wouldn't complain about having him as an option. 

34 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

He can also play CB and LB, and even CM now because of Armas so let’s cap him if we can.

also it wasn’t long ago where he was considered a top RN in mls so let’s not get snobby here.

While it is a minority opinion for sure, there are a few around here that bristle at the idea of players like this (ie. literally no connection to Canada) joining up with the national team.  I count myself among that group.

3 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Yes. We have no shortage of quality HB's and players who patrol the flanks already on our player pool.   Why does it seem that every time we hear of an MLS (non domestic) players showing interest in committing to Canada, it seems that its always a player whose quality would not address a particular need?  for example, we could use a 10 or maybe a CB.   Right now we are managing well without a true 10, but somewhere down the line we may need that tactical flexibility.

Edit>:  Oso wuld be the closest we have to a 10.  But i don't think that is a true 10 in the same way that Poz is or Vazquez was on his team.    

Edited by Free kick

Everyone has an opinion in what kind of Canadians should be representing Canada, and it's completely subjective.

Obviously the quality of player is a factor, along with the depth we already have. 

So that said, when it comes to Auro, for me I really don't mind him declaring to representing Canada. He's not better than ZBG in my eyes, but that's not to say he couldn't be useful. Herdman may not even see him as a wing back for us anyways, so I don't worry about that much. 

I don't get bent out of shape about him in general, because whether we are talking wingback, fullback, or in the midfield, I am not convinced he's good enough to win a cap for us, outside of perhaps a friendly here or there. Gutierrez hasn't even been capped yet, so you know there's a lot of competition. If he somehow demonstrates he's better than players like Gutierrez and ZBG, then great. Plus he seems to really love Canada as well, so that counts a ton in my books. 

1 minute ago, RS said:

Anyone who immigrates here and goes through the full citizenship process does not have "literally no connection to Canada," though. He'd be the same as thousands of new citizens who do the same every year.

I think there is a significant difference between someone who immigrates here and a professional footballer that plies their trade for a team within that country.  Might just be me though.

I really have no intention of changing anyone's mind or convincing anyone of anything.  Just a personal feeling.

Being a professional football shouldn't be different than being a professional doctor, engineer, accountant, geologist, etc. Every year thousands of those immigrants become Canadians via the naturalization process. 

But it may feel different in this case because football can sometimes be viewed as not a "real" profession. It's a game of kick ball, so I get it.

25 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

While it is a minority opinion for sure, there are a few around here that bristle at the idea of players like this (ie. literally no connection to Canada) joining up with the national team.  I count myself among that group.

I'm also one of those people, but for me a guy like Auro is more connected to Canada than someone like that Sondholm character. I'm not about to decide about how I'd feel about Auro playing for us as I don't think he's good enough.

To add, if there were some kind of international engineering competition and a naturalized Canadian was representing this country, I suspect it would feel different for some than a naturalized footballer representing Canada in an international footballing competition, which is interesting. 

27 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

While I can understand and appreciate how some might feel this way with some duals who have very little connections with Canada other than a distant heritage (Sondheim, Ferdi etc.), I wouldn’t put someone like Auro in this camp myself. Someone like Auro actually lives here, presumably is building a life here and is no different than the tens of thousands of immigrants who come here each year and they are just Canadian as you or I. 

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Being a professional football shouldn't be different than being a professional doctor, engineer, accountant, geologist, etc. Every year thousands of those immigrants become Canadians via the naturalization process. 

But it may feel different in this case because football can sometimes be viewed as not a "real" profession. It's a game of kick ball, so I get it.

Let me be clear, I'm all for him becoming a Canadian.  Everybody should be as lucky as I am.  This is the best country to live in and I have no problem with that. 

I just wouldn't enjoy watching the national team as much if more and more players representing the red are from that situation.

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'm also one of those people, but for me a guy like Auro is more connected to Canada than someone like that Sondholm character. I'm not about to decide about how I'd feel about Auro playing for us as I don't think he's good enough.

I'm not sold on Sondholm myself.  Not sure if he's immediately better than any of the alternatives.  This is doubly-so for someone like Sturing.

I also don't think Auro is near good enough and I would be disappointed in him taking someone else's place in a camp to make that determination.  We only have so many camps, I would prefer they go to someone young with potential than testing out a 26 year old to see if they're good enough to be backups.

Just now, El Hombre said:

Let me be clear, I'm all for him becoming a Canadian.  Everybody should be as lucky as I am.  This is the best country to live in and I have no problem with that. 

I just wouldn't enjoy watching the national team as much if more and more players representing the red are from that situation.

All good, I get it man, I really do. I have that feeling about players sometimes too.

I guess for me it sometimes depends on their "love" for Canada (as I perceive it), which in Auro's case seems like a lot.

For that reason I think I would enjoy him being on the field for us (if he can even get selected).

Wotherspoon is another one who just seems to appreciate the country and the opportunity. I have all the time in the world for him. 

43 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I'm one of those people you're referring to but does Auro fit that profile? A  Kadioglu I can understand but Auro has played, and I assume, lived in Canada. One can look at him as an immigrant to Canada. When immigrants - like Davies and David - take out citizenship, are they not Canadian? I would go even further. I'm more comfortable with an Auro on the team than a Witherspoon, Arfield or Solhom. Neither of those players have lived or played in Canada. Auro  wants to be a Canadian citizen. Neither of the previously mentioned players have shown any desire to do that.

Edited by Sal333

41 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Question for you and that group based on these scenarios.

There's two players.

Player 1:
- Has played for another country at the youth level
- Has migrated to Canada at 22, and has played the last 5 years in the country
- Stays in Canada during the offseason and acclimatizes to the culture
- Is a Canadian citizen
- Wants to play for the CMNT at age 26

Player 2:
- Has a Canadian parent so is eligible to play for Canada
- Has never stepped foot in the country
- Wants to play for CMNT at age 28
- Has played for the CMNT

Of these two players, which player would you say has "literally no connection to Canada)

The Canadian roster is full of players who have heritage outside Canada. Who cares? This has always been a strength of ours as a country. We are a immigrant nation at the end of the day, it's what we are known for. The same can't be said for most other countries. We are not Qatar.

Depth here is the key. A spell of injuries or covid cases and we are begging for a guy like Auro to join us. 

He has a lot of valuable experience, and brings a new skillset to the group. Competition makes everything better for a team, may the best man win! Let the guys compete, becuae nobody should ever feel safe in a national team. We are finally getting the depth we always dreamed of, we should be rejoicing.

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

To add, if there were some kind of international engineering competition and a naturalized Canadian was representing this country, I suspect it would feel different for some than a naturalized footballer representing Canada in an international footballing competition, which is interesting. 

I don't know if it would.  Say for example, there is some prestigious engineering competition and the Canadian team is made up of people that grew up elsewhere and got their degrees and masters from MIT or some other prestigious university abroad but were then poached by a Canadian company (say 2005-era Bombardier) who paid for their visas and moving costs to work for them.  Would there be as much pride in this team as there would be if the team was made up of McGill or Queens educated engineers who then went on to work at Aecon or Ellis Don?

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

There's two players.

Player 1:
- Is a Canadian citizen

Player 2:

Of these two players, which player would you say has "literally no connection to Canada)

Player 2 in my eyes.

4 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I would go even further. I'm more comfortable with an Auro on the team than a Wotherspoon, Arfield or Solhom. Neither of those players have lived or played in Canada. Auro  wants to be a Canadian citizen. Neither of the previously mentioned players have shown any desire to do that.

It's a privileged mindset that has been birthed in some that says it okay for some, but not for others. 
It's blurred vision.

5 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I would prefer they go to someone young with potential than testing out a 26 year old to see if they're good enough to be backups.

I generally agree with this. We could say this is reason to call up Dunn over Sondholm, for example. I am not sold on the latter either, but at the same time I wouldn't blame Herdman for giving him a look before Dunn, who has potential but has yet to prove his worth in the Eliteserien, a division that Sondholm is proven in. 

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

There's two players.

Player 1:
- Is a Canadian citizen

Player 2:

Yeah, this is my thoughts as well. For people saying they don't want Auro, it's hypocritical to say they're excited and welcoming towards Ugbo, Wotherspoon, Arfield, etc. As long as Fifa allows it, I'm all for it. The big deciding factor for me is if someone actually wants to play for Canada or not. I'd much rather have an Auro who wants to represent Canada, than someone who has an ancestral connection to Canada but sees us as a third option.

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

There's two players.

Player 1:
- Is a Canadian citizen

Player 2:

Player 2 sounds great! He deserves his own thread!