Auro for CanMNT?

Obinna

2 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Well said.  It is becoming more farcical.  The majority of Jamaica's team is built that way.  I will never cheer for them to qualify.  In fact, I hope they finish last.

I am not a big fan of the Arfields, Wotherspoons and (maybe) Solholms suiting up for us, but I generally warm up to them once they wear the shirt.  Auro wouldn't make our team.  Solholm and even Ferdi would not start for us.

I am more pissed that we have a chance to lose players like Flores, Jebbison and Diaz than I am excited about the possibility of those above playing for us. 

It’s gotten to the point where we have a lot of depth in the country and with dual nationals where if a player chooses to play here or doesn’t it’s not as disappointing as it used to be.  The cupboard isn’t bare.
When I see people bash Hargreaves for not committing to Canada, sometimes I wonder how much of a difference it would have made if he had played here.  Soccer in this country wasn’t quite there yet at the time, so I don’t really know how much he would have moved the needle.

Davies is obviously the catalyst and plays a factor in guys wanting to play here.  If Davies never existed but everyone else did, including Herdman as coach, we’re still pretty good and in the top 3 in terms in talent for CONCACAF I believe.

My first reaction is negative. 

Then, if I knew more about his bonds to Canada, I might change my mind. Also, if he were a better player, no doubt. I've accepted some Brazilians at Spain (Marco Senna), but because of time, engagement, and of course quality.

Part of my negativity is from the sense that TFC fans want to foist any bit of washwater on the Canadian programme, whether wishy washy, untried or undyed (and Auro does not, in any sense of the term, have red dye fastness).

12 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Well said.  It is becoming more farcical.  The majority of Jamaica's team is built that way.  I will never cheer for them to qualify.  In fact, I hope they finish last.

Wait so you cheer for other Concacaf teams that you have no connection with, to qualify? 

I don't hate Auro or anything. I thought he was exciting when he first came to TFC. The last couple years though I think he's been "meh". I don't think he's good enough to crack our squad without a lot of absences. I'd even like to see some CPL fullbacks rather than him, like Awuah or Abzi. I'm less familiar with guys in the West, but probably Farsi and Chung also, and someone already mentioned Guitierrez in Vancouver.

This type of patriotic gatekeeping is pointless, when most people have nuanced affinities whether they are dual-national, immigrated, emigated, or hell, even those born within Canada like various minorities and first nations.

I was born and raised in South Africa, and immigrated as an adult. Am I Canadian?

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

23 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don't hate Auro or anything. I thought he was exciting when he first came to TFC. The last couple years though I think he's been "meh". I don't think he's good enough to crack our squad without a lot of absences. I'd even like to see some CPL fullbacks rather than him, like Awuah or Abzi. I'm less familiar with guys in the West, but probably Farsi and Chung also, and someone already mentioned Guitierrez in Vancouver.

Awuah is actually older than Auro! 

I agree though with Abzi/Farsi/Guti, I hope the former two get moves that will put them to the next level and really in contention.

I have zero problems with Auro joining Canada if he is in form and Herdman feel he is useful or needed. Depth is a good thing to have and he has solid top level minutes. If he wants to be involved and meets the requirements I am fine with it. I am also a dirty stinking immigrant though 😛 

6 hours ago, RS said:

Anyone who immigrates here and goes through the full citizenship process does not have "literally no connection to Canada," though. He'd be the same as thousands of new citizens who do the same every year.

5 hours ago, frattinator said:

...is no different than the tens of thousands of immigrants who come here each year and they are just Canadian as you or I. 

5 hours ago, Sal333 said:

One can look at him as an immigrant to Canada. When immigrants - like Davies and David - take out citizenship, are they not Canadian?

5 hours ago, bwilly11 said:

The Canadian roster is full of players who have heritage outside Canada. Who cares? This has always been a strength of ours as a country. We are a immigrant nation at the end of the day, it's what we are known for.

5 hours ago, Shway said:

It's a privileged mindset that has been birthed in some that says it okay for some, but not for others. 
It's blurred vision.

5 hours ago, CCrTFC said:

A Canadian is a Canadian. You're entitled to your opinion and I don't feel there is any malice from your part but this kind of thinking can take a really dark turn. 

5 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

...so specifically speaking on how “Canadian” he is, there is no argument. That’s about as Canadian as you can be. 

13 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

I was born and raised in South Africa, and immigrated as an adult. Am I Canadian?

10 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I am also a dirty stinking immigrant though 😛 

(There, I think I got them all)

I had no intention of using an off-hand flippant comment to turn this into a summit on immigration.  It is a complicated topic that needs a much more nuanced touch than mine.  To anyone I inadvertently insulted, I do sincerely apologize.

28 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

This type of patriotic gatekeeping is pointless, when most people have nuanced affinities whether they are dual-national, immigrated, emigated, or hell, even those born within Canada like various minorities and first nations.

Slow down! Do you own any Ann Murray albums?

38 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

(There, I think I got them all)

I had no intention of using an off-hand flippant comment to turn this into a summit on immigration.  It is a complicated topic that needs a much more nuanced touch than mine.  To anyone I inadvertently insulted, I do sincerely apologize.

You had already responded to me, but thanks.

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

If it's within the rules it's within the rules. I just don't think Auro is any good

The rules seem ridiculous.  Yunus Musah was born in the US to a mother from Ghana who was on vacation according to his wiki page.  I'm guessing pre mature labour.  Neither of his parents were US citizens.  They returned to Italy right after the birth and he grew up mostly in England.  If his Mom had vacationed in Toronto he'd be eligible for us I guess.  Somehow it doesn't seem right that he's eligible for the US. 

Edited by prairiecanuck

7 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Auro has Canada tatted on him. He clearly loves the country and has adopted it to be his own, so specifically speaking on how “Canadian” he is, there is no argument. That’s about as Canadian as you can be. As for his quality, I’m open to absolutely any type of depth. I welcome him with wide open arms, I can’t believe there is even an argument on this. Isn’t he only like 26? Serviceable for sure.

This.  Auro has made Canada his permanent home and he’s becoming a Canadian Citizen.  If he becomes eligible for Canada and can make the team; no problem.  He should make the team.

I dont think we need to trash on people who just admit that they feel a little more pumped about players who are born and raised in Canada. It's not really an unnatural sentiment. It's common all over the football world. Take it a step further.. would we root a little more if a player came up and played in the CPL over a player who flew off to Germany when he was 14. Likely 

We're still allowed to have a pulse aren't we? Doesn't mean we're angry at anyone 

I just want to win. My favorite player is Alphonso Davies someone from Ottawa might favor Jonathan David 

The FIFA rules on eligibility do lead to some potentially farcical scenarios. For example, as far as I know Solholm is eligible for Canada according to FIFA because one of his grandparents was born in Canada despite him never even setting foot in the country. But in an universe where I have a child tomorrow somewhere not in Canada and they become good enough to play internationally, they won't be eligible for Canada because I wasn't born in Canada (even though they will receive Canadian citizenship because of me). Instead, they would be eligible to play for the US because my wife was born in the US, AND they will be eligible to play for China because I was born in China despite my very little connection to that country at this point. Freaking wild man. 

10 hours ago, PopePouri said:

You are Canadian if you feel like one IMO.

10 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Auro could be useful depth.  He's dependable.  Makes very few errors.  I'd put him on the same level as ZBG, above Gutierrez.  Not sure if he makes our 23, but with injuries and suspensions, who knows.

I've always rated him. Just a no-nonsense multi-position defender who'll get the job done.   

10 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

This.  Auro has made Canada his permanent home and he’s becoming a Canadian Citizen.  If he becomes eligible for Canada and can make the team; no problem.  He should make the team.

If they sell him tomorrow to Austin for General Allocation money and a 2nd pick how will that all play out? 

19 hours ago, Shway said:

Wait so you cheer for other Concacaf teams that you have no connection with, to qualify? 

Huh?  No, not at all.  Couldn't care less who qualifies as long as we do.  

IMHO, the Jamaican team is a joke the way they are built as an England B team with most of the players not stepped foot there, but only to play national team games.  I know many on here say "this is great for Concacaf, makes it more competitive".  Again, IMHO, it makes Concacaf look weak and substandard if some of our nations (Jamaica, Curacao, Suriname) basically field European B teams as their NTs.  

• 1 month later...