Auro for CanMNT?

Obinna

• 25 years old, born in 1996
  • Has been with TFC since 2018 (79 matches in all comp.)
  • Presumably +2 years out from getting citizenship, so it would be for the 2026 cycle
  • Probably doesn't need to be stated, but he won't be on the Brazil NT radar

What do you guys think? Would he get into our 18? Would he be just be a depth piece in our wider pool? Does he have the potential to be a starter? 

3 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Has that been confirmed? Why wouldn't he be?

Played for Brazils youth teams, has 0 connection to Canada apart from his time at TFC. Pretty sure that disqualifies him from being eligible for a 1 time switch. Could be wrong though.

IF he is eligible, no doubt in my mind he would be a much welcomed addition. Laryea, Auro, ZBG, Johnston, and Cordova. That would be my RB “depth chart” at this very moment, if he was to switch. Of course with their potential and age, ZBG/Johnston could quickly over take him, but man would he be a good depth piece for us. 

16 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Played for Brazils youth teams, has 0 connection to Canada apart from his time at TFC. Pretty sure that disqualifies him from being eligible for a 1 time switch. Could be wrong though.

Didn't China do that with Elkeson? He hasn't played for Brazil since he was 20... don't see why this is any different.

You can’t file a one-time switch to a country if you’ve been provisionally cap-tied before you’ve gotten citizenship with the ‘new country’. 

Unless there is a rule change Auro will never be eligible for us. Same reason why we couldn’t get Gershon Koffie

EDIT: Messed it up a bit it’s eligible to obtain citizenship not necessarily having it

Edited by Fullback

8 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Didn't China do that with Elkeson? He hasn't played for Brazil since he was 20... don't see why this is any different.

I thought the same thing but it turns out Elkeson never actually played for Brazil that's why he was able to switch to China. 

Edited by Nate3322

7 minutes ago, Fullback said:

You can’t file a one-time switch to a country if you’ve been provisionally cap-tied before you’ve gotten citizenship with the ‘new country’. 

Unless there is a rule change Auro will never be eligible for us. Same reason why we couldn’t get Gershon Koffie

So all of those Suriname guys who played for Holland get a pass because of their descent? I don't think they all had citizenship.

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

To me this is like when Sweinstieger talked about CHicago getting to the world cup, I like the sentiment, but they have to do a bit more research on the subject.  Although with the way they change these damn rules I guess anything could be possible.

You’re right about anything’s possible....but on that hope I rather Tomori than Auro - plain and simple. We got more than enough RB options to be thinking/waiting for a guy who’s currently 25 and would be eligible at 27+.

I agree with the guys who’s say they prefer Laryea over Auro. No Canadian bias at all.
And than there’s ZBG, Johnston, Farsi, and even Cordova....thanks for the love but we’re good. 

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Dam. Would like to see us fast track citizenship for certain players like we did Davies.

Davies had lived in Canada for more than a decade before he gained citizenship and he's Canadian, through and through, not just seeking citizenship so he can have an opportunity to play international football. I am not in favour of relaxing citizenship rules for athletes.

I think I remember the "fast track" story.  But I think it was more a case of lets get the paperwork done so he can get into the Curacao game and Gold cup that summer, not like they let him apply without putting in the requisite years etc.  

Now if Auro was a CB, Justin might waive the 5yrs of perm res and get Don Cherry to write his citizen test ASAP so he would be ready for the next set of WCQ.  

5 hours ago, Floortom said:

He’s not eligible.

but if he was he’s definitely strong enough to be in the squad and potentially in the starting XI too

Why wouldn’t he be look at Ukraine, Marlos and Moraes both from Brazil played in Ukraine for the required years to get their citizenship then once they got it got called up as long at they don’t have a senior cap after 21 years old if they get their citizenship they can play why else would he say he wants to play here if he knew there was no way he could?

4 hours ago, Daryn27 said:

Why wouldn’t he be look at Ukraine, Marlos and Moraes both from Brazil played in Ukraine for the required years to get their citizenship then once they got it got called up as long at they don’t have a senior cap after 21 years old if they get their citizenship they can play why else would he say he wants to play here if he knew there was no way he could?

This was discussed a couple replies ago. Neither ever played for Brazil as a youth international. For Auro to play for us, he’d have to file a one time switch. You can’t file a one time switch to a nation you weren’t eligible for at the time you played as a youth international for your original nation.

11 hours ago, Shway said:

Cmon @Obinna, I thought you knew better 😂.

This isnt possible under the old rules or the new rules. 

What about the "new" new rules? 😉

By the time I fully understand the new rules they'll probably change again, so I don't bother keeping up-to-date on them anymore lol.

Anyways, thankful for you guys setting the record straight on his eligibility.

My own opinion is that he'd be a luxury player. Nice but not a must have. He'd win caps for us and I think his versatility goes under the radar. Not only can he play both fullback spots, but he can also play in the center of midfield. I suspect a guy like that would find chances with Canada.

On 2/13/2021 at 5:08 AM, Bison44 said:

To me this is like when Sweinstieger talked about CHicago getting to the world cup, I like the sentiment, but they have to do a bit more research on the subject.  Although with the way they change these damn rules I guess anything could be possible.

I was pretty sure that was a journalist who asked him that question, when he was being presented at Fire. Not Schweinsteiger.

Love the way the entire Fire board strives to save face for the dumbass reporter, who repeats the idiocy. Cringe.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist