2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

Just now, Mihairokov said:

I was under the impression that Woodbine plan is dead in the water now that the York United ownership walked.

Pretty much.

I think they were looking for government funding but City Of Toronto is focusing on Centennial and Sunnybrook as World Cup training fields.

• 2 weeks later...

B.C. Pavilion Corporation (operator of BC Place) revealed their contract with FIFA subsidiary which is Canada Soccer. 

Of note, B.C. Place must stage, in conjunction with the CSA, at least three soccer matches in full-stadium format as test events prior to 2026. 

The grass playing field must be no less than 125 metres by 85 metres, but FIFA will decide which species of grass will be installed.

It's similar to the Toronto agreement but the article didn't mention requirement to stage 3 matches at BMO. 

The version Seattle released states that FIFA will allow the host city committee to buy, ahead of the public, as much as 1.5% of tickets per hosted match. “These tickets can be used to assist fundraising efforts and included as part of a host city supporter package.”

FIFA also provides host cities with 175 to 250 complimentary VIP tickets at each match they host and a small amount of tickets to matches in other cities.

https://thebreaker.news/business/bc-place-fifa-2026-contract/

Will Canada Soccer be allotted so many tickets which Canadian residents will apply for in a lottery system with higher priority given to those that have a paid membership? Will how long you have been a part of the paid membership also likely play into the priority given? And then in the general pool of tickets for those not in Canada, USA or Mexico, having a certain credit card might get you priority access? Asking based on how past World Cups have worked and what people have heard. Thanks. 

27 minutes ago, Nored said:

Will Canada Soccer be allotted so many tickets which Canadian residents will apply for in a lottery system with higher priority given to those that have a paid membership? Will how long you have been a part of the paid membership also likely play into the priority given? And then in the general pool of tickets for those not in Canada, USA or Mexico, having a certain credit card might get you priority access? Asking based on how past World Cups have worked and what people have heard. Thanks. 

I keep renewing my membership for this reason but who knows.