2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

I'd love to go to all 3 group stage matches if I could. It will all come down to the ticket lottery and being able to find a hotel. Of the 3 puzzle pieces to put together, flights will probably be the easiest part to get. You've got at least 10 flights per day between Toronto and Vancouver, and 5 different days you could go on. Canada plays on June 12th and 18th, so if you're at the Toronto game on the 12th, you could fly out to Vancouver anytime between the 13th and 17th (depending on when you were able to find hotel availability).

I'm still hoping that sometime before the ticket lottery, the elusive CanadaRED+BLACK tier gets launched. From day 1, I've been saying to myself that if I could make the price point work for that tier, I would do it in case it gave me a leg up for a ticket in 2026. It was always advertised as coming soon, but we've never heard anything about it, so maybe it's not going to happen. Could be a little extra revenue though from fans. I may have even put that in an e-mail to Kevin Blue when he started the position and said we could send him comments. 😉

4 hours ago, masster said:

Not a huge fan of this location. I would have liked to see something closer to the downtown core and near a skytrain station. Will be interesting to see the reaction of all of the tourists taking buses along East Hastings from PNE to the stadium.

Yeah, not wild about it even though I live just over the Second Narrows.  Was hoping for Jack Poole Plaza or maybe Vanier Park. Totally disconnected from BC Place, most hotels and downtown. Kills the walk-up crowd and won’t be a boost for surrounding businesses (there are very few). Let’s hope there isn’t an accident on the bridge which jams things out of downtown for hours. 

1 hour ago, Neil R. said:

I'd love to go to all 3 group stage matches if I could. It will all come down to the ticket lottery and being able to find a hotel. Of the 3 puzzle pieces to put together, flights will probably be the easiest part to get. You've got at least 10 flights per day between Toronto and Vancouver, and 5 different days you could go on. Canada plays on June 12th and 18th, so if you're at the Toronto game on the 12th, you could fly out to Vancouver anytime between the 13th and 17th (depending on when you were able to find hotel availability).

I'm still hoping that sometime before the ticket lottery, the elusive CanadaRED+BLACK tier gets launched. From day 1, I've been saying to myself that if I could make the price point work for that tier, I would do it in case it gave me a leg up for a ticket in 2026. It was always advertised as coming soon, but we've never heard anything about it, so maybe it's not going to happen. Could be a little extra revenue though from fans. I may have even put that in an e-mail to Kevin Blue when he started the position and said we could send him comments. 😉

How to enter the Ticket Lottery? Reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to enter myself 

Look, I'll be based in North Burnaby. I can definitely make the PNE work for match viewings. I'll just go retro with some of my mates and cousins, picking up a case of beer in the Heights, then walking down, just like we used to do for concerts and Canucks' games back in the late-'80s/early-'90s. It'll be a bit different doing it as middle-aged men rather than the young 'uns we were back then, though! 😄 

7 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think Pot 2 teams can be tough. That's part of what makes this Copa interesting - Peru/Chile is definitely the sort of team we could be facing at the WC even as hosts. So, this will help the players set a bench mark of where they are and where they need to be in 2 years.

Well for us, any team will be at least tough. It's worth remembering that with more groups in this World Cup, the teams from each pot can potentially be lower ranked than what has been typical. It is normally that Pot 2 would have the 8th through 15th best ranked teams in the World Cup (give or take the hosts already being a pot 1 calibre team). For this World Cup Pot 2 will be the 10th through 21st best ranked teams in the World Cup (not including the 3 hosts). Pot 3 goes from 16th to 23rd (old format) to now 22nd to 33rd (2026 format). The advantage to being a Pot 1 team will be larger than it normally is.

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

How to enter the Ticket Lottery? Reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to enter myself 

There hasn't been any ticket information yet, so don't worry, you're not missing out on anything. 😀

I'm just assuming that at some point in the future, there will be some kind of lottery. We're only at the "you can put your e-mail address on a mailing list if you'd like information about tickets" stage.

Edited by Neil R.

3 minutes ago, Neil R. said:

There hasn't been any ticket information yet, so don't worry, you're not missing out on anything. 😀

I'm just assuming that at some point in the future, there will be some kind of lottery. We're only at the "you can put your e-mail address on a mailing list if you'd like information about tickets" stage.

Okay again thanks

On 6/11/2024 at 8:55 PM, 74 Whitecap said:

I've been thinking that the tournament organizers are probably hoping that the expanded format allows for China to make it to the World Cup for the first time in a long time, as that would probably be a big revenue boost for the tournament.

And they did sneak through to the 3rd round today, parking the bus in epic fashion (19% possession, 110(!) completed passes) against South Korea and losing 1-0 but sliding through just barely (over Thailand) on goal difference.

I still don't like their chances, but you never know. 

Actually, China slides through to next stage by one win and one draw vs Thailand. The points,Goal difference , GF, GA were all identical between China and  Thailand at end of final round. If China wasn’t leading on two games with Thailand, yellow/red card number would be used to decide both team fates.

China was beaten by S Korea 1:0 before Singapore vs Thailand. Thailand only needs a 3 goal difference win to eliminate China. The goal keeper of Singapore stood on his head throughout the games. Hassan Sunny became extreme popular in China after Singapore held the final score at 1:3.  He is running a small coconut cream meal restaurant in a food court near Singapore Changi Airport. Chinese soccer fans are calling him “benefactor “ and pouring to the food court to support Sunny’s business. Network anchors on TikTok  are broadcasting on site at food court all day long. In one day, after the QR code of the restaurant revealed, Sunny’s bank card has been frozen by the bank due to surging amount of income transfers.

This is just a small reflection of Chinese soccer fans who has been suffering from their national team’s underwhelming performance even longer than Canadian fans.

Edited by lamptern

1 hour ago, lamptern said:

Actually, China slides through to next stage by one win and one draw vs Thailand. The points,Goal difference , GF, GA were all identical between China and  Thailand at end of final round. If China wasn’t leading on two games with Thailand, yellow/red card number would be used to decide both team fates.

China was beaten by S Korea 1:0 before Singapore vs Thailand. Thailand only needs a 3 goal difference win to eliminate China. The goal keeper of Singapore stood on his head throughout the games. Hassan Sunny became extreme popular in China after Singapore held the final score at 1:3.  He is running a small coconut cream meal restaurant in a food court near Singapore Changi Airport. Chinese soccer fans are calling him “benefactor “ and pouring to the food court to support Sunny’s business. Network anchors on TikTok  are broadcasting on site at food court all day long. In one day, after the QR code of the restaurant revealed, Sunny’s bank card has been frozen by the bank due to surging amount of income transfers.

This is just a small reflection of Chinese soccer fans who has been suffering from their national team’s underwhelming performance even longer than Canadian fans.

China 🇨🇳 to think they can qualify and the last time they qualified was Korea/Japan 2002 so if they do qualify it will be 24 years since their last appearance 

3 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

The original Bid Book had team base camps in Edmonton, two in Burnaby, Alliston, and two in Victoria, for what it's worth

Yeah but since it is in Vancouver now, the base camps for 2026 now definitely will have to be in Burnaby, Alliston, and Victoria especially since Edmonton is no longer hosting FIFA World Cup games. But then how about in Toronto, where would the base camps be at then?

10 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah but since it is in Vancouver now, the base camps for 2026 now definitely will have to be in Burnaby, Alliston, and Victoria especially since Edmonton is no longer hosting FIFA World Cup games. But then how about in Toronto, where would the base camps be at then?

Alliston. It's the only one listed in Ontario IIRC

5 hours ago, Kent said:

OK, the headline and the start of this article was kind of alarming, but at the end it explains that there can be more applications even into 2025, so there is still time for Canada to get it's act together.

https://northerntribune.ca/canada-fifa-world-cup-2026-team-case-camps/

Glad they fixed the article. They had Montreal as a host city before.🙃

40 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Glad they fixed the article. They had Montreal as a host city before.🙃

Yeah until Montréal dropped out but had they not, then the host cities for Canada definitely would have been Toronto, Montréal and Vancouver. I definitely know Montréal would have been able to support it too but again like I said had they not dropped out but they did and Edmonton took their place. But Edmonton ended up losing their bid to host too.

15 hours ago, lamptern said:

Yes, you are exactly right, I worded my post poorly. What I meant was, since the games vs Thailand were already done, they just needed to hold on to a least a draw on goal difference to go through, which, thanks to 90 minutes of their own desperate defending plus their benefactor :) they just barely managed.

And yes, the rest of your post is the kind of thing I was imagining if China somehow managed to sneak in, and ended up playing out of Vancouver for one or more of their games. If a few million Irish can make a travelling army what would happen with over 1 billion Chinese amped up over a first World Cup appearance in decades?

Possible 2026 World Cup training camps include sites in non-tournament cities (msn.com)

Quote: "Proposed training sites in the areas of U.S. game venues are in Chester, Pennsylvania; Dallas, Fort Worth and Frisco, Texas; Kansas City and Riverside, Missouri, and Lawrence, Kansas; Marietta, Georgia; and St. Louis. There also are possible training camps in Guadalajara, Mexico City and Toluca, and Monterrey but none were listed in Canada.

FIFA said more possible training camps will be added.

In addition, FIFA listed specific site matchups for games in the new round of 32, round of 16, quarterfinals and semifinals, revealing the pathway through the knockout rounds for the host nations.

If Canada wins Group B, it would play in Vancouver, British Columbia, on July 2 and then in Vancouver again on July 7 if it advances. A quarterfinal would be at Kansas City on July 11. If Canada finishes second, it could play at Inglewood, Houston and Foxborough."

Edited by Free kick

19 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Possible 2026 World Cup training camps include sites in non-tournament cities (msn.com)

Quote: "Proposed training sites in the areas of U.S. game venues are in Chester, Pennsylvania; Dallas, Fort Worth and Frisco, Texas; Kansas City and Riverside, Missouri, and Lawrence, Kansas; Marietta, Georgia; and St. Louis. There also are possible training camps in Guadalajara, Mexico City and Toluca, and Monterrey but none were listed in Canada.

FIFA said more possible training camps will be added.

In addition, FIFA listed specific site matchups for games in the new round of 32, round of 16, quarterfinals and semifinals, revealing the pathway through the knockout rounds for the host nations.

If Canada wins Group B, it would play in Vancouver, British Columbia, on July 2 and then in Vancouver again on July 7 if it advances. A quarterfinal would be at Kansas City on July 11. If Canada finishes second, it could play at Inglewood, Houston and Foxborough."

I like it but for training sites there are no Canadian training sites I'm surprised 

11 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

If there are any Toronto base camps for World Cup teams the training site would have to be at Woodbine since apparently they said a while back they were building a training facility there 

Alliston will be a site, just north of the GTA, it’s been used before by our national team and teams from abroad. Frosinone from Serie A used it a few years ago for a pre-season camp.

8 hours ago, Strait Red said:

Alliston will be a site, just north of the GTA, it’s been used before by our national team and teams from abroad. Frosinone from Serie A used it a few years ago for a pre-season camp.

Oh okay but I was reading an article 

https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2022/11/toronto-new-soccer-stadium-2026-fifa-world-cup/

This is the article I read

I was under the impression that Woodbine plan is dead in the water now that the York United ownership walked.

The base camp site is Alliston, and there are a number of training areas included, but the requirement for them is not very high.

Edited by Mihairokov