2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

Because of how the final round is set up.

In the final round the teams that get selected for the Intercontinental playoff are based on Group play (the 2 best 2nd place teams out of 3 go to the playoffs)

Which is unfair as groups can be unbalanced. 

Everybody hated the 24 team World Cup format for a reason.

Fair enough.  You’re really gonna hate a 48 team World Cup then.

6 hours ago, narduch said:

I do

Can I interest you in a 64 team World Cup, March Madness style? I'd rather that than 48. A lot of teams and some of them having short tournaments, but an upset can be so much more impactful. Argentina would have been packing their bags instead of winning it all, for instance.

I too would prefer a 64 team world cup than a 48 team world cup. Having 32 teams is ideal.    Any tournament format that has has a group stage whereby wild cards (ie.; the best third place) advances is stupid.  And unfair.    Wild card teams only make sense in the NFL and that's because you play teams outside your group/division during the season.  If you don't have 8, 16, 32 team tournaments, you inevitably end up with wild cards advancing.  

I kind of miss the world cup format that created a second stage group.   Yes, there were flaws with that in that you could setup situations whereby one team in its final game of the second stage group is already eliminated and doesnt put up a good fight.  And that's why they abandoned it in 1986 or 1990; cant recall.   But, other than that,  i thought it produced lots of memorable soccer games whereby teams attacked.  The problem with the current situation of a second round of 16 teams in a single knock out, is that it produces a lot terrible soccer games because teams adopt a style that's too cautious and defensive.  Everyone tries to avoid mistakes thus waiting to capitalize on other teams mistakes.  So you get a ton of 0-0 and 1-0 games and games going to PK's.

I cant understand why they cant mimic the FIBA tournament model.  They have a  second group stage whereby you have the top two teams in the group carry over their points to the second stage against the top two from another group.   This format is a bit more forgiving and produces more entertaining games.  Also they have classification games after the first group stage, so this means that every team gets to play a minimum of five game.   If FIFA did this,  then it would be a better for people to plan their travel and their stay at the world cup.   Who wants to stick around in a place like Doha for an extra 1-2 weeks when you wont get to see your team play anymore because they're out at the group stage.

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, red card said:

In other news, Ontario govt is on board to pay $97 million for the World Cup assuming the Feds also put their allocation into the money pot. But not everyone is happy.

Tbh, 100M for a couple of games and a temporary stadium is crazzzzy IMO. What is the expected return?
They aren't building stadiums or training facilities! As much as I love soccer, I agree with Kate our province needs a lot more than a game. Add our highway system to that. 

22 minutes ago, Shway said:

Tbh, 100M for a couple of games and a temporary stadium is crazzzzy IMO. What is the expected return?
They aren't building stadiums or training facilities! As much as I love soccer, I agree with Kate our province needs a lot more than a game. Add our highway system to that. 

They are upgrading 2 parks as training facilities. Centennial (err I mean Rob Ford Park) and Sunnybrook Park have been selected by the city for upgrades. They will be used during the World Cup.

But I mean the fact that the BMO Field expansion isn't permanent is stupid 

On 1/26/2024 at 5:34 PM, Free kick said:

I too would prefer a 64 team world cup than a 48 team world cup. Having 32 teams is ideal.    Any tournament format that has has a group stage whereby wild cards (ie.; the best third place) advances is stupid.  And unfair.    Wild card teams only make sense in the NFL and that's because you play teams outside your group/division during the season.  If you don't have 8, 16, 32 team tournaments, you inevitably end up with wild cards advancing. 

I used to hate the best-third-place teams going through but it's grown on me.

Whether in the last couple of Euros or the AFCON just now, the last group game is always worth something - no dead rubbers like in the 32-team version where some teams are already eliminated. With 24 or 48 teams and best third-place teams advancing, nearly everyone is still technically in it by their final group game, and teams at the top are angling even harder for first so they can hopefully get a wild card team in the next round

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Like you really think that money they are spending on this , if not spent on this would be actually used efficiently? The main problem I have is like has been said  BMO is only getting a temporary expansion and fix .

10 hours ago, Shway said:

Compared to other things our government spends money on it’s really not that crazy to see how that money could be useful toward the biggest event in the world. 

16 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Compared to other things our government spends money on it’s really not that crazy to see how that money could be useful toward the biggest event in the world. 

That we are only charitable passengers in. It's not even worth saying USA, Mexico, and Canada... just say TO, Van City. 

13 hours ago, red card said:

In other news, Ontario govt is on board to pay $97 million for the World Cup assuming the Feds also put their allocation into the money pot. But not everyone is happy.

She is 100% correct.  

5 hours ago, Shway said:

That we are only charitable passengers in. It's not even worth saying USA, Mexico, and Canada... just say TO, Van City. 

I’m going to able to see my country play a home game on Canadian soil I couldn’t care less if it was only one game they played . Life is short and when you are closing in on 60 you start thinking about the finish line a lot more . 

17 hours ago, Shway said:

I heard on the radio that the total expense is believed to be $300 million and the return is $307 million. So just over break even if the estimates turn out to be accurate.

Not having at least some of the renos on BMO being permanent is just silly and a wasted opportunity.  There should be some sort of lasting brick and mortar improvement that will live on after the WC.  I hope Vancouver is a little better in that regard.  

I Imagine Kents return of 307mil is working in tourism #s, hospitality bumps etc that TO and Ontario will get from hosting the WC.  

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I heard on the radio that the total expense is believed to be $300 million and the return is $307 million. So just over break even if the estimates turn out to be accurate.

I get the optics that 300m should go to healthcare etc. But if its net positive then everyone is better off. Its a hard topic to talk about though, "lets build a soccer stadium so we have an additional 7 million that will improve the public"

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

For us non twitter people, is there a lot of complaining about this, or just this one rando? 

90%+ of the comments to the tweet are negative at this point:

Let's blow a 100 million on rigged sports.

Who needs health care when you can pay thousands to watch millionaires owned by billionaires kick a ball around in the world's most boring sport.

Soccer sucks. Deport all the immigrants and turn the soccer fields into baseball diamonds.

100 million could go to homelessness and drug addiction etc instead of wasting money on FIFA.

The positive comments:

I am guessing it will bring in more than that amount in tourism money being spent in Toronto, not to mention advertising Toronto as a place to visit on TV, etc.

Well we'll that tournament is only once  in a lifetime homelessness we will have them every day 😉

A bit more balanced over 412 comments on reddit to a blogTO article. Blame is also spread around to Ford, Tory, Toronto's infrastructure & FIFA. Some concern beer supply will run out if it is England vs Ireland but others less concerned due to Ontario's high beer prices and Ireland havng trouble beating Malta.

https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/1ags51n/ontario_to_pay_a_staggering_100_million_to_host/

10 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

She is 100% correct.  

What does the government have to do with housing?

Maybe the answer is they have a little less to do with Healthcare like every other sane country on earth 

Honestly people have become so stupid in this country that I'm just counting down the days that I can just get the kids off to university and get the hell out of this miserable country 

Edited by SpursFlu