2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

Sandor is always good at telling like it is:

"When you hear that Montagliani had personally gone back to Vancouver and dragged them back into the bidding process, that was the writing on the wall for Edmonton. It was sort of like, you’re a starting player, but now the coach is warming up a substitute to replace you,"

"People have to understand that outside of the soccer community, that move by the provincial government played really well here. People wanted a guarantee from FIFA with so much public money at stake, so that really hit home within the community"

"Edmontonians have a real sense of inflated pride over Commonwealth Stadium. It’s hosted a lot of big games and events, but we’re looking back at them now through technicolour glasses. Compared to modern-day venues, Commonwealth looks like an old Communist stadium from the Cold War era. It’s a concrete monolith without the creature comforts that most new stadiums have today" 

"It was like if your team was down 3-1 late in the game, and you have this faint hope that if you can score one that maybe you can get another, and then the inevitable happens and you give up a fourth goal. That’s what it was like in the room."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/why-edmonton-was-left-out-in-the-cold-for-the-2026-world-cup/

47 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I feel bad for Edmonton. I think its obvious that they screwed up royaly by being Edmonton.

The only way anyone other than Toronto Vancouver were getting in is if they built a giant new stadium. And we know how anti stadium Canadians are... so there you have it

The public has no appetite for wasting tax payer dollars on stadia, even though tax payer dollars are wasted on a lot worse in this country (but that's another story). Furthermore, the private sector doesn't see value investing in stadia. It's curious as to why because there seems to be no such hesitation from the Americans. Like many things in this country, perhaps it's a consequence of being tethered to the United States. We have no big popular sports leagues of our own, so instead we just invest (sometimes) in the stadia for teams in the American leagues (NHL, NBA, etc.), but there's only so many of them to go around, right? The CFL is big in terms of attendance, but popularity (at least in my view) has been fading for years. That's why most of the stadiums were old and in need of updating or replacing. That never happened until quite recently and to no surprise it occurred in the cities where canadian football is relatively more popular (Winnipeg, Regina, etc.). That's my take anyways, for what it's worth. 

26 minutes ago, red card said:

Commonwealth looks like an old Communist stadium from the Cold War era. It’s a concrete monolith without the creature comforts that most new stadiums have today" 

He's said that before, but just once I'd like to hear Sandor tell us what these "creature comforts" actually are.

48 minutes ago, lenny said:

BC place was new, but it was an awful concrete mausoleum with a non-retracting roof, so I don't think grass would have been a possibility.

I remember going to my first Whitecaps game there shortly after it opened and wondering how they could have replaced Empire with that awful place.

Perhaps and makes sense.  But I am thinking that there might have been more flexibility with respect to surfaces and the likes back then.  Artificial surfaces were more of a novelty and they were unknown in Europe hence it might have been accepted.   Today its a non starter (ie.: You have to have a grass surface and some permanency to it).   In 1994 they allow games at the Silverdome on temporary laid sod.   That would never be allowed today

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The CFL is big in terms of attendance, but popularity (at least in my view) has been fading for years. That's why most of the stadiums were old and in need of updating or replacing. That never happened until quite recently and to no surprise it occurred in the cities where canadian football is relatively more popular (Winnipeg, Regina, etc.). That's my take anyways, for what it's worth. 

You may have picked the wrong time to say that with what's been going on in the CFL this year, things have never been so optimistic with renewed interest in Montreal, Edmonton and most importantly Vancouver and the deal with Genius .  As for the stadiums, aside from the two you mentioned, Montreal, Ottawa, and Hamilton, the renovations were directly attributable to the CFL teams being there.  Hamilton needing a new stadium directly aligned with the PanAm games that is true, but they were getting one sooner or later with or without the PanAms. 

1 hour ago, red card said:

Sandor is always good at telling like it is:

"When you hear that Montagliani had personally gone back to Vancouver and dragged them back into the bidding process, that was the writing on the wall for Edmonton. It was sort of like, you’re a starting player, but now the coach is warming up a substitute to replace you,"

"People have to understand that outside of the soccer community, that move by the provincial government played really well here. People wanted a guarantee from FIFA with so much public money at stake, so that really hit home within the community"

"Edmontonians have a real sense of inflated pride over Commonwealth Stadium. It’s hosted a lot of big games and events, but we’re looking back at them now through technicolour glasses. Compared to modern-day venues, Commonwealth looks like an old Communist stadium from the Cold War era. It’s a concrete monolith without the creature comforts that most new stadiums have today" 

"It was like if your team was down 3-1 late in the game, and you have this faint hope that if you can score one that maybe you can get another, and then the inevitable happens and you give up a fourth goal. That’s what it was like in the room."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/why-edmonton-was-left-out-in-the-cold-for-the-2026-world-cup/

He is partly quoting this article (from February) in that piece from Sandor

We Need to Talk About Commonwealth Stadium | Edify. (edifyedmonton.com)

I think I posted it here before.  Its the best piece from a Canadian source that i have seen written on this topic.

Edited by Free kick

9 hours ago, Pasha said:

So what happens if a dictatorial country like Iran is placed in Vancouver or Toronto for the group stages? I mean Iran is seriously such an evil country that their national team, as representatives of the people who shot down the plane, should in no way be allowed on Canadian soil. 

Dude please STFU and go away 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

The public has no appetite for wasting tax payer dollars on stadia, even though tax payer dollars are wasted on a lot worse in this country (but that's another story). Furthermore, the private sector doesn't see value investing in stadia. It's curious as to why because there seems to be no such hesitation from the Americans. Like many things in this country, perhaps it's a consequence of being tethered to the United States. We have no big popular sports leagues of our own, so instead we just invest (sometimes) in the stadia for teams in the American leagues (NHL, NBA, etc.), but there's only so many of them to go around, right? The CFL is big in terms of attendance, but popularity (at least in my view) has been fading for years. That's why most of the stadiums were old and in need of updating or replacing. That never happened until quite recently and to no surprise it occurred in the cities where canadian football is relatively more popular (Winnipeg, Regina, etc.). That's my take anyways, for what it's worth. 

Yah we like tax payer dollars being wasted the old fashioned Canadian way. Going to giant bloated useless public programs that don't even function properly and are mostly used to create a loyal voter blocs in urban areas which ultimately dictate elections. I guess all ways of wasting tax payer dollars aren't old fashioned. We now have the very innovative and effective scheme of creating and then managing drug addicts for the duration of their life cycle. Tested in the always open minded city of Vancouver and coming to a town near you. If we built a stadium with safe injection sites.. boom.. now maybe we're on to something 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Yah we like tax payer dollars being wasted the old fashioned Canadian way. Going to giant bloated useless public programs that don't even function properly and are mostly used to create a loyal voter blocs in urban areas which ultimately dictate elections. I guess all ways of wasting tax payer dollars aren't old fashioned. We now have the very innovative and effective scheme of creating and then managing drug addicts for the duration of their life cycle. Tested in the always open minded city of Vancouver and coming to a town near you. If we built a stadium with safe injection sites.. boom.. now maybe we're on to something 

Unacceptable view.

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

You may have picked the wrong time to say that with what's been going on in the CFL this year, things have never been so optimistic with renewed interest in Montreal, Edmonton and most importantly Vancouver and the deal with Genius .  As for the stadiums, aside from the two you mentioned, Montreal, Ottawa, and Hamilton, the renovations were directly attributable to the CFL teams being there.  Hamilton needing a new stadium directly aligned with the PanAm games that is true, but they were getting one sooner or later with or without the PanAms. 

For sure. I don't follow CFL closely (though I have been to a game or two over the years), but even I can tell there's a renewed sense of optimism around it. And that's a great thing if you're a CFL fan, or even just someone who wants to see more stadiums built in this country. If it wasn't for CFL things would be more bleak than they already are on the stadium front. It's just too bad the dimensions are such that soccer doesn't fit as nicely as I would like. NFL stadiums make for far better soccer stadiums by comparison. That's why the USA never has a stadium issue whenever it comes to big soccer events. Even with the turf, the Roughriders and Blue Bombers stadiums would give Canada some great mid-sized soccer venues if the end zones were closer to the goals.

4 hours ago, lenny said:

BC place was new, but it was an awful concrete mausoleum with a non-retracting roof, so I don't think grass would have been a possibility.

I remember going to my first Whitecaps game there shortly after it opened and wondering how they could have replaced Empire with that awful place.

The huge positive for me is getting to BC Place via three Skytrain routes (depending upon where I am staying) and not bus, let alone car.  

The CFL teams that play in the most outdated stadia are the two in Alberta.

Five of the other six play in venues that were either newly built over the last decade or massively renovated to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars — but yeah, “the public has no appetite for spending on stadia,” but instead on “bloated social programs,” I am so smart.

Anyway, two of the CFL teams benefitted directly from soccer (Toronto and Hamilton), while a third  (Vancouver) got a soccer team coerced into becoming a tenant. 

The sports are intertwined in this country, like it or not. Unfortunately that means layouts that are compromises.

1 hour ago, RS said:

Five of the other six play in venues that were either newly built over the last decade or massively renovated to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars — but yeah, “the public has no appetite for spending on stadia,” but instead on “bloated social programs,” I am so smart.

Anyway, two of the CFL teams benefitted directly from soccer (Toronto and Hamilton), while a third  (Vancouver) got a soccer team coerced into becoming a tenant. 

The sports are intertwined in this country, like it or not. Unfortunately that means layouts that are compromises.

so i cant wait for the leafs to play 10 outdoor games a year and make bmo a 70k palace

4 hours ago, RS said:

Commonwealth had renovations done prior to the 2015 WWC. It's had regular upgrades during its existence.

6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

alice in wonderland yawn GIF

32 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

alice in wonderland yawn GIF

I get how it’s tiresome hearing the same rant on repeat, but he’s not wrong on that one. He may have the wrong sentiment when he depicts it as bad, depending on your view, but he’s describing the cause and effect accurately. Not to say all social programs are failures intended to buy loyalty, but people do vote for governments that deliver costly, if not crucial social programs, and politicians are obviously aware of that. And few of these programs lead to positive or sustainable results. We still have exploding drug problems, mental health issues and an ever growing affordability crisis, now worsened by inflation that’s a direct consequence of policy errors. 

So yeah, spending millions on stadiums is not the worst use of tax payer dollars. It may not help society at large, but at least it doesn’t claim to. Nor does it harm society further like many other programs that are designed to help but do the opposite. I wouldn’t mind seeing more dollars go to new stadiums in this country considering that. Might as well build now before building materials get even less affordable!

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, DoyleG said:

Commonwealth had renovations done prior to the 2015 WWC. It's had regular upgrades during its existence.

Yup.  I don't buy the stadium argument - there were renovations for the 2001 IAAF World's, then again for the 2007 U19s and again 2015 WWC.

The stadium argument doesn't hold an argument when BMO is 30K capacity and using temporary seating.

Hell, FIFA's own inspection review of Commonwealth Stadium indicated it was one of the highest ranked stadiums (5th best) in North America (not saying that is reality, but reveals the subjective nature of bid process)

Edited by PunjabiOil

Victor Montagliani is the single reason why Edmonton was out.   Vancouver born and raised, FIFA / CONCACAF executive, had significant sway/influence.   He wanted to showcase his City and did everything in his power to get it done.

It also shows the integrity of a 5 year bid process where a late entry, bypassing the process, comes in 1.5 months prior to decision date and then takes the majority share of games allocated to Canada.

Victor Montagliani screwed Edmonton, and I think deep down even he knows it. 

The article sheds some light on the lack of integrity in the process:

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/keith-gerein-plenty-of-blame-for-edmontons-missed-world-cup-moment?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1655516512

Damning passage:

Those officials say the representatives at one time pleaded with Edmonton to submit an application. At that point, only Toronto was confirmed, and a second Canadian city was needed to secure the country’s participation in 2026. Vancouver came aboard only late in the process, supposedly at the urging of Montagliani.

Even still, the vision being sold was for three Canadian sites, each of which would get three to five matches. Likewise, local officials were told FIFA was willing to moderate its usual demands and work to lower costs for prospective hosts — including an increased willingness to use older stadiums.

Naive or not, the local bid team felt it had all the assurances to consider its application a near guarantee, which is why Thursday’s news felt much like a betrayal.

“They were all over us … to sign a commitment, because otherwise the Canadian bid was dead,” one source with insider knowledge told me.

“Those individuals (at FIFA) made their commitment to Edmonton, and when the Canadian bid survived they manipulated Vancouver to get back into it and played us. We took them at their word, and they did not come through.”

Officials at FIFA could not be reached for comment.

Blaming the UCP Government for imposing conditions also doesn't make much sense, especially since the committee from the start indicated they may be willing to be flexible on those.  My understanding is the Alberta Government was the only government that had secured provincial funding out of the 3 Canadian cities.

Are we to believe, when Victor Montagliani started wooing John Horgan in the spring/summer of 2021, that they did not have conditions themselves on number of games to host?  Perhaps the biggest challenge for Victor Montagliani was to convince FIFA to allow a city back in the bid process at the 11th hour - but he was able to do that.

1 hour ago, PunjabiOil said:

Blaming the UCP Government for imposing conditions also doesn't make much sense, especially since the committee from the start indicated they may be willing to be flexible on those.

The "flexibility" the UCP demanded was that it didn't have to be 5 games, but that it did have to have "marquee" games:

https://edifyedmonton.com/urban/structures/city-councillor-federal-tourism-minister-weigh-in-on-edmontons-world-cup-hopes/

His thinking is such: That at least some of the games Edmonton hosts must have some marquee value, so the city and province can spread the gospel about trade and tourism to the world. If Edmonton, the feds and the province were to spend hundreds of millions to bring the World Cup here, and Commonwealth ended up with games like Saudi Arabia vs. Costa Rica — rather than having top-seeded teams or a Canada home game — would that represent bang for the taxpayers’ bucks? Even the most adamant soccer fan in this country would answer… probably not.

So, in Cartmell’s eyes, the province’s request for five games, two of them being knockout-stage matches, is its way of planting the (corner) flag in the ground. It wants to remind all of the stakeholders that there must be value returned by the schedule-makers if hundreds of millions of dollars will be spent. 

Does that mean Alberta has to host five games? Cartmell doesn’t think so.

“We’ve got to move the needle,” says Cartmell. “I can see the province saying that we can’t have just a couple of games that aren’t going to be on the international radar. Whether we get three, four or five games, they have to be significant to our goals, which is to promote trade, economic development and tourism.”

1 hour ago, PunjabiOil said:

My understanding is the Alberta Government was the only government that had secured provincial funding out of the 3 Canadian cities.

I don't think Vancouver would have been let back in if there wasn't provincial funding, especially since BC Place is controlled by the province.

Look, I get it.  For Edmonton to come so close and then fall out at the last minute is disappointing.  When Vancouver was let back in I was hoping for all 3 cities to get games.  But they were never going to give Edmonton 5 games or a "guaranteed marquee game" when there was 3 host cities.  Not when there was other factors like geographic location/proximity to other sites also working against it.  Maybe with Vancouver back in, Edmonton was still out.  But the UCP certainly made it a lot easier for FIFA to bypass Edmonton than it needed to be.

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

The "flexibility" the UCP demanded was that it didn't have to be 5 games, but that it did have to have "marquee" games:

https://edifyedmonton.com/urban/structures/city-councillor-federal-tourism-minister-weigh-in-on-edmontons-world-cup-hopes/

His thinking is such: That at least some of the games Edmonton hosts must have some marquee value, so the city and province can spread the gospel about trade and tourism to the world. If Edmonton, the feds and the province were to spend hundreds of millions to bring the World Cup here, and Commonwealth ended up with games like Saudi Arabia vs. Costa Rica — rather than having top-seeded teams or a Canada home game — would that represent bang for the taxpayers’ bucks? Even the most adamant soccer fan in this country would answer… probably not.

So, in Cartmell’s eyes, the province’s request for five games, two of them being knockout-stage matches, is its way of planting the (corner) flag in the ground. It wants to remind all of the stakeholders that there must be value returned by the schedule-makers if hundreds of millions of dollars will be spent. 

Does that mean Alberta has to host five games? Cartmell doesn’t think so.

“We’ve got to move the needle,” says Cartmell. “I can see the province saying that we can’t have just a couple of games that aren’t going to be on the international radar. Whether we get three, four or five games, they have to be significant to our goals, which is to promote trade, economic development and tourism.”

I don't think Vancouver would have been let back in if there wasn't provincial funding, especially since BC Place is controlled by the province.

Look, I get it.  For Edmonton to come so close and then fall out at the last minute is disappointing.  When Vancouver was let back in I was hoping for all 3 cities to get games.  But they were never going to give Edmonton 5 games or a "guaranteed marquee game" when there was 3 host cities.  Not when there was other factors like geographic location/proximity to other sites also working against it.  Maybe with Vancouver back in, Edmonton was still out.  But the UCP certainly made it a lot easier for FIFA to bypass Edmonton than it needed to be.

The problem is, nothing public came from what the ask was by the BC Gov't, what Victor Montagliani was promising the BC Gov't in terms of games back in Spring/summer of 2021.  

It's both plausible and likely the BC Gov't had the same conditions; guarantees of 4-5 games to ensure they come back in the bid process and put up significant public funding for BC Place renovations.

The fact they he started negotiations with the BC Gov't well before (at least summer of 2021) the AB Gov't imposed ''conditions'' is a tell of his influence and desire.   The BC Gov't had the hammer especially since Victor was the one approaching them, and they used it to their advantage.

It is, however, both shady and unethical business practice to string Edmonton along after using them for the purposes of keeping the Canada allocation bid alive.

5 minutes ago, PunjabiOil said:

The problem is, nothing public came from what the ask was by the BC Gov't, what Victor Montagliani was promising the BC Gov't in terms of games back in Spring/summer of 2021.  

It's both plausible and likely the BC Gov't had the same conditions; guarantees of 4-5 games to ensure they come back in the bid process and put up significant public funding for BC Place renovations.

The fact they he started negotiations with the BC Gov't well before (at least summer of 2021) the AB Gov't imposed ''conditions'' is a tell of his influence and desire.   The BC Gov't had the hammer especially since Victor was the one approaching them, and they used it to their advantage.

It is, however, both shady and unethical business practice to string Edmonton along after using them for the purposes of keeping the Canada allocation bid alive.

Well, 4 games for Vancouver wouldn't have prevented Edmonton from being in.  I think we all assumed from that the start the split would be 4-3-3, and it was just a matter of who gets the 4th game.  Also, it sounds more like Vancouver's ask was for exhibition games, of which they seem to have gotten 5:

Melanie Mark, the Minister of Tourism, Art, Culture and Sport, said in addition to the to-be announced number of World Cup games, Vancouver also got five pre-tournament exhibition games.

“We want the most that we can get. I hate to put it put it so bluntly, but that’s what we talked about,” said Mark. “We gave it our best shot to have this opportunity and we want to maximize those benefits for not only the stadium, but for fans and everyone else that is really excited about inviting the world. So fingers crossed!”

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/international-soccer/game-on-vancouver-crowned-as-2026-fifa-world-cup-host-city

As well, reading Gerein's article, it sounds like part of Edmonton's problem was how long it took the UCP to guarantee funding.  You're right - we were all hearing rumours about Vancouver being approached/negotiating back in 2021.  At that time, the UCP hadn't many any commitment and even at one point said they weren't interested (thought they backed off on that).  So with no commitments from the UCP, it would make perfect sense for Montagliani to re-approach Vancouver and the BC Gov't.

I wish Canada had 3 host cities, sincerely.  Hopefully other cities are also able to land exhibition games pre-tournament.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I get how it’s tiresome hearing the same rant on repeat, but he’s not wrong on that one. He may have the wrong sentiment when he depicts it as bad, depending on your view, but he’s describing the cause and effect accurately. Not to say all social programs are failures intended to buy loyalty, but people do vote for governments that deliver costly, if not crucial social programs, and politicians are obviously aware of that. And few of these programs lead to positive or sustainable results. We still have exploding drug problems, mental health issues and an ever growing affordability crisis, now worsened by inflation that’s a direct consequence of policy errors. 

So yeah, spending millions on stadiums is not the worst use of tax payer dollars. It may not help society at large, but at least it doesn’t claim to. Nor does it harm society further like many other programs that are designed to help but do the opposite. I wouldn’t mind seeing more dollars go to new stadiums in this country considering that. Might as well build now before building materials get even less affordable!

Given that he went out of his way to mention drug addiction harm reduction, no he doesn’t have a point. Leaving aside any moral imperative to help drug addicted people, those programs end up saving the taxpayer money. They are the antithesis of what he claims to be railing against if he actually cared about government bloat. It’s the same nonsense as those who complain about public spending on space exploration or pure sciences when the ROI is ridiculously high. 

By contrast, stadiums are proven money sinks in the majority of cases. They’re not a benign expenditure, and the public is generally aware of this. That’s why the “pro stadium” vote is not really a thing outside of places like this board. Stadiums cost political capital for a good reason. The reality is, with a handful of potential exceptions, we have the stadiums we collectively willing to pay for in this country. As discretionary spending continues to fall, the utility of big stadiums moving forward is likely to wane further rather than wax.

One final point. The complaints are particularly dumb right now given how many major cities have spent on stadium/arena infrastructure in the last decade or so: Vancouver (BC Place), Edmonton (hockey, Commonwealth renovations), Calgary (hockey tbd), Regina (CFL), Winnipeg (CFL), Hamilton (CFL), Toronto (BMO upgrades). It’s been a veritable boom in stadium construction funded with a great deal of public money. The money just isn’t going to 50k seat stadiums, because we have very little desire/use for such stadiums.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

As well, reading Gerein's article, it sounds like part of Edmonton's problem was how long it took the UCP to guarantee funding.  You're right - we were all hearing rumours about Vancouver being approached/negotiating back in 2021.  At that time, the UCP hadn't many any commitment and even at one point said they weren't interested (thought they backed off on that).  So with no commitments from the UCP, it would make perfect sense for Montagliani to re-approach Vancouver and the BC Gov't.

I wish Canada had 3 host cities, sincerely.  Hopefully other cities are also able to land exhibition games pre-tournament.

It was the NDP Government years ago which indicated they wouldn't fund 2026 unless there was a strong business case.  UCP didn't commit until this spring, but there were negotiations ongoing well before and Edmonton/AB did agree to check off all of the FIFA's upgrade recommendations.

This was on November 22, 2021

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/soccer-fifa-wraps-up-inspection-of-potential-2026-world-cup-venues

Vancouver, venue for the 2015 Women’s World Cup final, has expressed late interest in getting in on the World Cup action but Victor Montagliani, the CONCACAF president and FIFA vice-president, on Monday threw cold water on the suggestion.

“I know that the premier of British Columbia (John Horgan) had expressed some interest and that’s great,” said Montagliani, who was joined at the head table by Smith, Toronto Mayor John Tory and Lisa MacLeod, Ontario’s Minister of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture. “But right now we’re dealing with the players we have, not the players that are not on the team.”

You could make a case 4-3-3 would have done a better job to grow the game in Canada.  

Ultimately, I don't think it would have got to this point if Victor M. didn't personally get involved in the process and used his influence and position of power in the manner he did.