2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

I saw a post at another thread (conjecturing) about the SkyDome upgrade and a change in hosting the World Cup.  I was going to quickly rebutt it but it got me thinking, is it really out of the realm of possibility. 

I believe some stands were "locked in place" and rails removed.  Do I have that right?  We know at one time they were hung up about getting a turf surface in there for the Jays and had gone fairly far down the research road with Guelph IIRC.

Anybody out there think this is a possibility?  Moving from BMO to the RC.  I wouldn't be too dismissive just yet.

7 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I saw a post at another thread (conjecturing) about the SkyDome upgrade and a change in hosting the World Cup.  I was going to quickly rebutt it but it got me thinking, is it really out of the realm of possibility. 

I believe some stands were "locked in place" and rails removed.  Do I have that right?  We know at one time they were hung up about getting a turf surface in there for the Jays and had gone fairly far down the research road with Guelph IIRC.

Anybody out there think this is a possibility?  Moving from BMO to the RC.  I wouldn't be too dismissive just yet.

BMO needs a facelift and hopefully permanent 40000 seats are put in there . As we have seen Toronto needs a stadium for soccer that has that type of capacity. However, if they do just a temporary thing then this whole process will be a total waste of time , but knowing how Toronto has done things in the past it won’t surprise me if they do just a temporary thing .

BMO field will be the worst stadium of the lot, but in one of the best cities of them all. 

It hurts, but Vancouver deserves "more" games solely based on the permancy and the aesthetics of their stadium. I feel comfortable knowing that BC Place can represent Canada well. 

BMO field will be a joke on the world stage, and I don't think we've seen anything like it at the World Cup. 

I am listening to the press conference and we are 11 minutes in and not single decent question asked.   There are are a ton of questions to ask after a decsion like this.  But all they could ask is garbage and fluff.    Come on KJ,  you could do better than than that stupid question.   People want to know why certain venues were selected and why certain venues were excluded.  There is the Colin Smith right there at the table.  I want hear what he he thinks needs to be done with surfaces .  

edit.:  after the eleventh minute, the questions improved a little.  Someone asked about the field demensions issue with NFL stadiums.   Some also asked about the issue daytime climate and weather in most of these cities.

Edited by Free kick

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

BMO field will be the worst stadium of the lot, but in one of the best cities of them all. 

It hurts, but Vancouver deserves "more" games solely based on the permancy and the aesthetics of their stadium. I feel comfortable knowing that BC Place can represent Canada well. 

BMO field will be a joke on the world stage, and I don't think we've seen anything like it at the World Cup. 

have you seen the new reno at bmo?

56 minutes ago, Shway said:

now there is civic pride for you!

Serious though,  yes, BMO is not the kind of stadium for this event.  But BC place is hardly a panacea when judged against the others.  We have the two worst stadiums of all

Edited by Free kick

If you think about it.  Canada did bid for the WC (on its own) for the 1986 WC.  After the event taken away from Colombia due to political and social unrest .  Dont know how close the vote was when we lost to Mexico, but our stadium situation in 1986 was country miles better then today.  We had new modern stadiums in Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, and a Toronto stadium was already in the plans and might have been accelerated.  The other stadlims with CFL teams might have done the trick for the rest of games. 

But today, its another story.  Costa Rica, a country of five million, has a better soccer stadium and any city in Canada

Edited by Free kick

26 minutes ago, Free kick said:

If you think about it.  Canada did bid for the WC (on its own) for the 1986 WC.  After the event taken away from Colombia due to political and social unrest .  Dont know how close the vote was when we lost to Mexico, but our stadium situation in 1986 was country miles better then today.  We had new modern stadiums in Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, and a Toronto stadium was already in the plans and might have been accelerated.  The other stadlims with CFL teams might have done the trick for the rest of games. 

But today, its another story.  Costa Rica, a country of five million, has a better soccer stadium and any city in Canada

its ok a 35k stadium with a track, seats are a mile away.i rather watch a game at bmo

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Didn't the Chinese build it for them to project soft power in the region?

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

OKAY? Nothing about this statement makes sense. LOL seats are far back off the field, max capacity is 35K, playing surface wasn't great either. Its a multi purpose stadium much like North American venues. Lacks hospitality suites and food vending.