2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

Just false info I think. Or wishful thinking.    We know from looking at the proposed match schedule that 5 and 5 is possible.  But under what scenario is 6 and 4 even possible?  answer is none.  Unless you include quarter final games and we know we are not getting quarter finals games because we don't have stadiums with the seating capacity required for 1/4 final matches. 

image.png.059776dc5ce65c83cfd9b0e1efa924ad.png

Edited by Free kick

The real shame of this is that I personally will be in meetings all afternoon and won't get to see the glorious Twitter melties as they happen.

Anyways, 6/4 makes sense IMO if the one with 4 gets the opener and the R16.  Although per the match schedule I can't see them having matches in B2B days in Vancouver if they were to become Can2+3.

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Also Manuel Veth with that now:

Think Toronto was always a long shot for anything after the Round of 32 due to low capacity so it was always likely to be Vancouver that would pick up the slack from Edmonton if Canada kept 10 games. Guess that means extra American cities will/would be about adjusting from 6 × 10 to something like 5 × 6 + 6 × 5 or 12 × 5.

30 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

Still going with these 11 US venues

NYC

LA

Miami

Dallas

Atlanta

Houston

KC

Philly

Baltimore

SF

Seattle

Boston, Nashville, Denver, Orlando and Cincy on the outside...KC and Miami will be pretty toasty in the summertime w/no roof

I would love these 11 American venues

I think the big question is which LA stadium gets used....SoFi is unreal but they are going to have to do some renovations to get the field wide enough....Rose Bowl is massive (over 90k) and is a gorgeous venue in its own right, but doesnt have the luxury boxes etc....I honestly kind of would prefer the Rose Bowl......

25 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

I think the big question is which LA stadium gets used....SoFi is unreal but they are going to have to do some renovations to get the field wide enough....Rose Bowl is massive (over 90k) and is a gorgeous venue in its own right, but doesnt have the luxury boxes etc....I honestly kind of would prefer the Rose Bowl......

SoFi over Rose Bowl especially in LA any day of the week plus SoFi is brand new 

SoFi isn't build to FIFA specifications, which was a ridiculous oversight.

Same goes for Allegiant Stadium in Vegas. Incredible stadium that would be perfect for 2026, and it's in freaking Las Vegas, but they didn't bother to make it fully capable of hosting WC games.

40 minutes ago, RS said:

SoFi isn't build to FIFA specifications, which was a ridiculous oversight.

Same goes for Allegiant Stadium in Vegas. Incredible stadium that would be perfect for 2026, and it's in freaking Las Vegas, but they didn't bother to make it fully capable of hosting WC games.

Not sure about SoFi, but wasn’t Allegiant used in the Gold Cup final last year? I realize that’s not the be all, end all, but what are the shortcomings here? 

1 hour ago, EJsens1 said:

Not sure about SoFi, but wasn’t Allegiant used in the Gold Cup final last year? I realize that’s not the be all, end all, but what are the shortcomings here? 

Is Allegiant ok for the World Cup?? I'm guessing it is since the Gold Cup was there?? Or is a more narrow field ok for CONCACAF? 

I know Vegas pulled out of the mix pretty early because they didnt feel the R.O.I. would benefit them...and it makes sense..their hotels are full all the time, people flock to Vegas so they dont need to cave to FIFA 

Me and friends are planning on going to 3 WC games one in each country.  I think Canada will get 10 games 6 in Van City and 4 in Toronto and I am okay with that . I think Edmonton gets shut out because of Geograghy it is just to far from every where else . All of Canada's games will be in the opening round . I think the Knockout stages will be played only in the American cities.

31 minutes ago, narduch said:

If Edmonton's out, I don't hate it.

Edit: I can see how my post can be misinterpreted.  I am saying if Edmonton is out (which I won't like) I will not hate the fact that Vancouver might get more games.  I will prefer that (if Edmonton is out)

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

I think I'm one of the few who wants Edmonton to be selected. Hope is the last thing you lose. According to the initial agreement there would be 3 Mexican cities and 3 Canadian ones, it was the pretext for making the Joint Bid.

I simply do not conceive that a Joint Bid of three countries, one of the countries has only two venues. Canada deserves more.