2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Agree that FIFA doesn't have to do it but the word from those with inside knowledge appears to be that Canada is receiving fewer games because they have chosen to add an eleventh American city for whatever reason. The plan may be to give Vancouver and Toronto numbers comparable to the 4-3-3 (presumably) for Mexico City, Guadalajara and Monterrey and that probably points to 6 or 7 rather than 8. Hope I'm wrong about that. Time will tell basically.

You have to consider that Washington DC and Baltimore were two separate candidates and they merged to improve their chances. So that would suggest not all American bids were that confident. 

In general the West is weakly represented, no Phoenix, no Las Vegas, Portland not in. No other California team. 

Now I'm sure you could be right, but it does seem that FIFA really wanted Vancouver because it helps bolster the western venues (of which none in the Mexican cities). 

I definitely think Seattle is in to create that cluster w/Vancouver....all the US East Coast cities will be pretty easily accessible from the GTA..short flights for all...I may suggest also driving to Buffalo and looking into flying Southwest Airlines as well....SWA flies from Buffalo to Baltimore all the time and pretty cheap for example

I feel like the US probably will get 11 cities with Canada just having two cities....I think if the US only gets ten cities it comes down to Philly or Houston and I think Houston would get the edge

East Coast Cluster

NYC

Boston

Baltimore

Philly

West Coast

LA

San Fran

Seattle

Dirty South

Miami

Dallas

Houston

Atlanta

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

How do team bases work for World Cup again? Do teams have to be based in one of the host cities, or will it be elsewhere? With 48 teams, I’m working if you might see a team or two based in places like Montreal or Victoria.

Bases are anywhere. But often close to group games. So I wouldn't be surprised to see Montreal host a team that plays in Toronto + US East Coast.

My final list:   

a slight change from previous lists:  Dallas replaces Nashville; Philly is the eleventh city added.  Much of this is a repaste of previous

US

In

1) Houston - No longer Natural surface and will cluster with the three Mexican cities (Mexico city, Monterrey, Guadalajara).  NRG Stadium scored 4.2 / 5 in the FIFA technical reports.  That was highest score of all Stadiums in North America

2) New York/New Jersey -  NOT NATURAL SURFACE.  But you have to have New York.  And you have to have 4 cities to makeup a North east cluster

3) Baltimore -  Natural surface.  Washington (after the negative reviews they got from FIFA) already announced that they will partner with Baltimore.  So they must know something. Plus you can put them in either a South East or North east cluster.

4) Philadelphia - Shot up the charts in the final weeks

4) Nashville -  Natural surface.  They hosted a WCQ match so that's a good sign, so is the surfaces and the fact that you need at least 4 cities to make up a South East cluster

4) Dallas - Replaces Nashville which would have been a shoe-in except for the fact that Nashville decided to build anew stadium and not tell FIFA.  Hence changing the terms 

5) Los Angeles -  Natural surface.  Same as New York,  you need LA and you need 4 Pacific coast cities to make up a cluster. it will either Sofi or Rose bowl

6) San Francisco - Natural surface.  Plus you can build the Pacific cluster with LA and possibly Seattle and Vancouver (As Horgan mentioned).  Seattle and Vancouver are NOT NATURAL SURFACE

7) Atlanta -  NOT NATURAL SURFACE.  Two of FIFA’s six first-tier corporate partners are American companies headquarters in American bid cities. The Coca’Cola' global headquarters are based in Atlanta, while central operations for Visa are situated in San Fran.  Also, it has good MLS attendance and it can cluster with Nashville and a Florida city to form a southern cluster.

8  ) Kansas City- Natural surface. Kansas City for the fact that its a legacy selection.   By that i mean the Hunt family and their connections to the game plus the fact that it has supported very well the pro club in MLS.   The reluctance with KC is that it does not cluster as a location.  Its right in middle of the US and hence neither a North east city, nor a southern city, nor a Pacific coast city.  The first criticism of every FIFA event in North America is the travel distances.   From what i saw on-line and youtube of their presentation, they seemed to really want it. 

9) Miami - Natural surface.  It will be be a choice between Miami and Orlando.  In cant see two Florida cities getting it.   The stadium in Miami has a natural surface whereas Orlando does not.  Problem is Orlando is a better MLS city. I still think it will be Miami because of all the expats from Latin America.

10) Seattle - NOT NATURAL SURFACE. Good MLS city and forms a good cluster with other Pacific coast cities

11) Philadelphia -  shot up the charts in the last couple of months 

A wild card or close but no Cigar

12) Denver -  Natural surface.    If they add a 12th, I predict it will be Denver

Out
1) Washington D.C. - They got a bad review from the inspection committee and they already said that they will support the Baltimore bid.

2) Boston - NOT NATURAL SURFACE.  Gillette stadium and its location is terrible for visitors. Inaccessible by public transit.  Stadium in no longer new and is not anywhere close to downtown.  From the presentations i saw, they didn't show the same enthusiasm and desire as many other cities during their FIFA visit.  Mediocre MLS attendance. 

3) Cincinnati - bad bid, bad stadium 
4) Orlando - They wont add two Florida cities 

5) Nashville -  would have been in had they not changed their plans.   They will get plum thrown their way like perhaps the WC draw will beheld there 

Canada

IN

1) Toronto - Just going by the reports we read

2) Vancouver -Just going by the reports we read

Out

1) Edmonton - Just going by the reports we read plus what what know from sources like Grant Wahl and from the technical reports.   Issues with:  Accommodation/Hotels, Clustering,  Transportation....etc.  These are issue that arose before looking at the stadium was not suitable and would have required massive amounts to upgrade 

Mexico

In

1) Mexico City -  You have to play at the Azteca

2)  Guadalajara:  should be in. Has the perfect stadium.  But we are hearing they are out

3) Monterrey: should be in. Has the perfect stadium. But we are hearing they are out

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, RS said:

NRG Stadium is artificial turf.

We had this discussion before.  remember :)

Its tray that they can roll in the artificial surface over the grass.  or vice versa.   

I'll concede to you that this one is grey area.  Both surfaces are laid out on interlocking trays but they are using mostly artificial now for the NFL team

Edited by Free kick

14 hours ago, mrstepp817 said:

I definitely think Seattle is in to create that cluster w/Vancouver....all the US East Coast cities will be pretty easily accessible from the GTA..short flights for all...I may suggest also driving to Buffalo and looking into flying Southwest Airlines as well....SWA flies from Buffalo to Baltimore all the time and pretty cheap for example

I feel like the US probably will get 11 cities with Canada just having two cities....I think if the US only gets ten cities it comes down to Philly or Houston and I think Houston would get the edge

East Coast Cluster

NYC

Boston

Baltimore

Philly

West Coast

LA

San Fran

Seattle

Dirty South

Miami

Dallas

Houston

Atlanta

My choices

East time zone cluster

NYC, Tor, Balt, Philly

Central or Mountain time zone cluster or Mexico Cluster

Hou, Dal, Den, Mex city

Or replace Denver with one of the two other Mexican cities.

Pacific time zone cluster

LA, SF, Sea, Van

SEC cluster

Mia, ATL, KC, 

If Denver is out Then:

East time zone cluster

NYC, Tor, Balt, Philly

Central or Mountain time zone cluster or Mexico Cluster

Hou, Monterrey, Guadalajara, Mexico city

Pacific time zone cluster

LA, SF, Sea, Van

SEC cluster

Mia, ATL, KC, Dal

Edited by Free kick

6 hours ago, Free kick said:

My final list:   

a slight change from previous lists:  Dallas replaces Nashville; Philly is the eleventh city added.  Much of this is a repaste of previous

US

In

1) Houston - Natural surface and will cluster with the three Mexican cities (Mexico city, Monterrey, Guadalajara).  NRG Stadium scored 4.2 / 5 in the FIFA technical reports.  That was highest score of all Stadiums in North America

2) New York/New Jersey -  NOT NATURAL SURFACE.  But you have to have New York.  And you have to have 4 cities to makeup a North east cluster

3) Baltimore -  Natural surface.  Washington (after the negative reviews they got from FIFA) already announced that they will partner with Baltimore.  So they must know something. Plus you can put them in either a South East or North east cluster.

4) Philadelphia - Shot up the charts in the final weeks

4) Nashville -  Natural surface.  They hosted a WCQ match so that's a good sign, so is the surfaces and the fact that you need at least 4 cities to make up a South East cluster

4) Dallas - Replaces Nashville which would have been a shoe-in except for the fact that Nashville decided to build anew stadium and not tell FIFA.  Hence changing the terms 

5) Los Angeles -  Natural surface.  Same as New York,  you need LA and you need 4 Pacific coast cities to make up a cluster. it will either Sofi or Rose bowl

6) San Francisco - Natural surface.  Plus you can build the Pacific cluster with LA and possibly Seattle and Vancouver (As Horgan mentioned).  Seattle and Vancouver are NOT NATURAL SURFACE

7) Atlanta -  NOT NATURAL SURFACE.  However two of FIFA’s six first-tier corporate partners are American companies headquarters in American bid cities. The Coca’Cola' global headquarters are based in Atlanta, while central operations for Visa are situated in San Fran.  Also, it has good MLS attendance and it can cluster with Nashville and a Florida city to form a southern cluster.

8  ) Kansas City- Natural surface. Kansas City for the fact that its a legacy selection.   By that i mean the Hunt family and their connections to the game plus the fact that it has supported very well the pro club in MLS.   The reluctance with KC is that it does not cluster as a location.  Its right in middle of the US and hence neither a North east city, nor a southern city, nor a Pacific coast city.  The first criticism of every FIFA event in North America is the travel distances.   From what i saw on-line and youtube of their presentation, they seemed to really want it. 

9) Miami - Natural surface.  It will be be a choice between Miami and Orlando.  In cant see two Florida cities getting it.   The stadium in Miami has a natural surface whereas Orlando does not.  Problem is Orlando is a better MLS city. I still think it will be Miami because of all the expats from Latin America.

10) Seattle - NOT NATURAL SURFACE. Good MLS city and forms a good cluster with other Pacific coast cities

11) Philadelphia -  shot up the charts in the last couple of months 

A wild card or close but no Cigar

12) Denver -  Natural surface.    If they add a 12th, I predict it will be Denver

Out
1) Washington D.C. - They got a bad review from the inspection committee and they already said that they will support the Baltimore bid.

2) Boston - NOT NATURAL SURFACE.  Gillette stadium and its location is terrible for visitors. Inaccessible by public transit.  Stadium in no longer new and is not anywhere close to downtown.  From the presentations i saw, they didn't show the same enthusiasm and desire as many other cities during their FIFA visit.  Mediocre MLS attendance. 

3) Cincinnati - bad bid, bad stadium 
4) Orlando - They wont add two Florida cities 

5) Nashville -  would have been in had they not changed their plans.   They will get plum thrown their way like perhaps the WC draw will beheld there 

Canada

IN

1) Toronto - Just going by the reports we read

2) Vancouver -Just going by the reports we read

Out

1) Edmonton - Just going by the reports we read plus what what know from sources like Grant Wahl and from the technical reports.   Issues with:  Accommodation/Hotels, Clustering,  Transportation....etc.  These are issue that arose before looking at the stadium was not suitable and would have required massive amounts to upgrade 

Mexico

In

Mexico City -  You have to play at the Azteca

Wild card or Out

1) Guadalajara:  should be in. Has the perfect stadium.  But we are hearing they are out

2) Monterrey: should be in. Has the perfect stadium. But we are hearing they are out

What source is saying Guadalajara and Monterrey are out? 

8 hours ago, Free kick said:

Its tray that they can roll in the artificial surface over the grass.  or vice versa.   

I'll concede to you that this one is grey area.  Both surfaces are laid out on interlocking trays but they are using mostly artificial now for the NFL team

We did have this discussion.

During the 2015 season, a permanent artificial surface was installed at NRG Stadium. The Texans had used a natural surface since the stadium opened, using a system of trays of sod similar to one used at Giants Stadium in its experiment with using a grass surface. In recent years, the stadium installed artificial turf to be used during high school and college games while keeping the grass for Texans games. After the Texans' home opener, complaints about the field conditions finally led to the installation of the artificial surface for Texans games. The surface brand is UBU Speed, which is part of Act Global.[18]

In 2017, NRG Stadium selected Hellas Construction to install its Matrix Turf with Helix Technology at the stadium. The three year contract calls for a new (artificial) turf field each year.

Hellas Heads Back To SOFI Stadium, NFL Matrix Helix® Turf Installs Gaining Ground
Cision  June 14, 2022

Hellas installed Matrix Helix® synthetic turf at SoFi Stadium continuing to gain ground as a turf supplier for eleven different NFL teams including the LA Rams and LA Chargers.

As America’s largest vertically integrated sports construction contractor, Hellas is uniquely positioned to meet the athletic surfacing needs of multiple NFL teams installing synthetic turf at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, NRG Stadium in Houston, and Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas. Hellas is not only installing synthetic turf in pro stadiums, but NFL practice facilities as well. In addition to the Cowboys’, Texans’ and Raiders’ training centers, Hellas has also installed Matrix Helix synthetic turf at the indoor facilities for the Washington Commanders, Tennessee Titans, Miami Dolphins, Kansas City Chiefs, and Jacksonville Jaguars.

9 hours ago, Free kick said:

Yeah, it’s an artificial turf stadium that used to be grass.

Makes no sense for an NFL team to use an artificial turf field if a turf field is available. 

I'd like to find out more about this surface (Hellas Matrix Helix) as it seems to be getting the big business. 

Canadian stadiums are becoming due for artificial turf replacement and generally they go for the best product available which lately has been FieldTurf Revolution. 

I still haven't found out what Hamilton installed last year and I have found inaccuracies with Wikipedia but it would be interesting to see if this brand is in the running for the upcoming replacements.

Hellas does big business down in Texas and the south, know several of their sales guys who are ex-football coaches and work with Texas High Schools...they make a quality turf product for sure....AT&T Stadium uses it and I believe SoFi Stadium does as well...I need to ask if they have any big accounts in Canada or the northern US...I know they recently built a field office in Wisconsin

On 6/14/2022 at 2:08 AM, Nored said:

What source is saying Guadalajara and Monterrey are out? 

I’ll see if i can dig up the tweet i came accross yesterday. I recall it being from a credible source.  You might be right that they are still in.

edit.:  i havent dug it so edited my posts to ay they are both in and Denver is out.

Edited by Free kick

Boston may be out because their stadium is in an awful location....I always forget they built that stadium way out of town in the middle of nowhere...if Boston is out I could see Kansas City being added and being a bridge city between the two coasts along with Dallas...then you have Dallas and Houston as your bridge cities between Mexico and either coast..with Atlanta and Miami serving as the bridge between Mexico and the East Coast

My US cities that I would choose

1- Dallas (Jerry World/Cowboys Stadium)

2- New York/New Jersey (MetLife Stadium)

3- Atlanta (Mercedes Benz Stadium)

4- Houston (NRG Stadium)

5- Los Angeles (SoFi Stadium)

6- Seattle 

7- Miami (Hard Rock Stadium)

8- Philadelphia 

9- Baltimore

10- San Francisco/Bay Area (Levi's Stadium)

11- Kansas City (Arrowhead/Chiefs Stadium)

Canada portion

BC Place (Vancouver)

BMO Field (Toronto)

Mexico portion

Mexico City (Azteca)

Guadalajara 

Canada and Mexico both get 2 cities each and USA gets 11 cities...meaning they get the bulk 

The latest prediction from Grant Wahl after talking to a source is that it is likely that the USA will get more than 10 cities, possibly 12. His list is Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, New York/New Jersey, Philadelphia, San Francisco Bay Area and Seattle with Baltimore/Washington in if there is 11 and Nashville in if there is 12.