2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

On 5/20/2022 at 12:24 PM, narduch said:

Now that this date is announced, what I suspect will happen between now and June 16th is that the cities that were not selected will start announcing that they are dropping out of the bid.    This gives them time to come up with a valid reason to sell to the public as to why they had to drop out.    Therefore on June 16th, there will be no surprise because all the cities that haven't dropped out will be announced as host cities.  Again this is my speculation.

From a public relations standpoint, It would not be in the best interest of FIFA and local cities to have this thing turn into something akin to a beauty pageant whereby egos and civic pride takes a major hit. This way,  everyone can sell to the public that they come out a winner, whether they were selected or not.  That's the objective, and good PR.    Some cities not selected, might get a parting gift somehow, like a promise get a team camp or pre tourney friendlies or another Concacaf/Fifa event.   

PS.:  the above would also explain why he said "2-3 in Canada".   if his sources had told him 2, then the Canadian city not selected would not be able to sell their reason to the public as to why they dropped out.   If his sources had said "3 in Canada", then its guarantee that Tor, Van and Edm will all be selected.   What this means to me is that Edmonton is out.   They would not have let Vancouver back, or approached Vancouver after the fact, if 2 was sufficient and liked the Edm bid.   They can sell to the public that they are out because it would have seriously disrupted the Elks season and that FIFA were not able meet the provincial government guarantees for funding.  

Edited by Free kick

The CSA / Vancouver City / the Province, including security and police and stadium logistics, are going to be under close scrutiny for the Iran friendly. In what could be a volatile event. 

I personally expect some minor aggression or even violence between Iran supporters and hope it's nipped in the bud quickly. 

A mess or any mishandling could swing the FIFA decision, as I'm sure Montigliani has reminded organizers. 

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The CSA / Vancouver City / the Province, including security and police and stadium logistics, are going to be under close scrutiny for the Iran friendly. In what could be a volatile event. 

I personally expect some minor aggression or even violence between Iran supporters and hope it's nipped in the bud quickly. 

A mess or any mishandling could swing the FIFA decision, as I'm sure Montigliani has reminded organizers. 

Iran supporters are going to be violent against each other? 

14 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Iran supporters are going to be violent against each other? 

That's not what I said. I said you have to be prepared for aggressive behaviour, and possible violence. 

If there are information tables or pickets outside, security should be close. If there is no organised protest, then risk of conflict decreases sharply. 

32 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's not what I said. I said you have to be prepared for aggressive behaviour, and possible violence. 

If there are information tables or pickets outside, security should be close. If there is no organised protest, then risk of conflict decreases sharply. 

You said you “personally expect minor aggression or even violence between Iran supporters”. 

Word for word.

Why would there be violence between Iran supporters? Is there some sort of infighting? 

Edited by king1010

4 hours ago, king1010 said:

Why would there be violence between Iran supporters? Is there some sort of infighting? 

Its very complicated....see half of them like Herdman and think Arfield walked out on the team, the rest think Arfield should get another chance to make the team if he decides to unretire.  It might come to bloodshed.  

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Really, although I looked it up and he apparently was a former Sportsnet reporter.  And seeing as I'm not a big Sportsnet fan other than NT games (which I can't see anyway on SN), unlike you I am not aware of his great celebrity.

Sure.

I was wondering why you thought to refer to a person as "it" simply because he has a foreign-sounding name.

15 minutes ago, RS said:

Sure.

I was wondering why you thought to refer to a person as "it" simply because he has a foreign-sounding name.

Oh, it's progressive language police dogma.  I thought you just didn't get my takeoff of 1970's British sitcom humour, no problem I understand now. Nice to have you in my head, welcome to it, FYI you might have a problem with the vertigo caused by my Meniere's, but the spinning doesn't last long.