2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

On 4/15/2022 at 6:30 PM, Joe MacCarthy said:

Yeah, maybe you should have, you read it wrong.

I also read it as you accusing Ozzie of cancelling UT. I just re-read it, and I still don't see how you could have meant something else.

But I don't actually care about your cancel post. I am just a bit curious what other meaning your post could have had.

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

I also read it as you accusing Ozzie of cancelling UT. I just re-read it, and I still don't see how you could have meant something else.

But I don't actually care about your cancel post. I am just a bit curious what other meaning your post could have had.

Exactly where I stand.

I responded because I think the word “cancel” and it’s variations have been misused to the point of not meaning anything any more (kinda like “woke”), but Joe’s odd repeated denials of his obvious intention made me stop caring pretty quickly.

I won’t derail this thread any more with this stuff, but I appreciate that someone else saw what I did.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

If you actually read it, you would have seen the word "we're" not "you're" meaning I was criticizing the concept in general not the person in particular.  Had I really wanted to single the poster out I would have used his name or "you're" and I find it hard to believe you two think I don't have the nads to do that considering how often I do just that.

If we want to analyze other's intentions why are you two raising this after the fact, some might interpret that as an unnecessary personal attack. You can't bullshit and say you stopped caring and keep posting about it.

On 4/17/2022 at 12:31 AM, Joe MacCarthy said:

If you actually read it, you would have seen the word "we're" not "you're" meaning I was criticizing the concept in general not the person in particular.  Had I really wanted to single the poster out I would have used his name or "you're" and I find it hard to believe you two think I don't have the nads to do that considering how often I do just that.

If we want to analyze other's intentions why are you two raising this after the fact, some might interpret that as an unnecessary personal attack. You can't bullshit and say you stopped caring and keep posting about it.

Oh, good point about the "we're" vs "you're". So you are saying that you and Ozzie are both afraid to hear what people have to say. Got it, thanks for clarifying.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

Oh, good point about the "we're" vs "you're". So you are saying that you and Ozzie are both afraid to hear what people have to say. Got it, thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, my MO all along here has been against free speech, you've found me out. For a guy who says he doesn't care you sure keep posting about it.

I don't like what a lot of people have to say, I don't like when people knock Edmonton's bid and pretend not to, but it's they're right to say it even if I don't like seeing it.

Exclusive: Alphonso Davies opens a window on Edmonton and a World Cup 2026 dream
Paul Nicholson insideworldfootball.com April 19 2022

Canadian and Bayern Munich star Alphonso Davies is one of the hottest players in world football. Canada’s talisman from Edmonton has led his nation to their first World Cup finals since 1986. In 2026 he could be leading them out in his home town. Davies speaks exclusively to Insideworldfootball.

IWF: What do you think Edmonton being a FIFA World Cup 2026 host would mean to the city and the Alberta region?

AD: I think it would mean everything to the people of Edmonton. We all grew up there without much soccer around, but whenever an international soccer event has come to Edmonton, whether it was the women’s world cup, or the u-20 world cup, people have supported the events very well. It will help inspire a future generation of soccer players too because it’s important for the future generation to see professional soccer in their own city, to help inspire and allow them to dream of being on the big stage themselves. The World Cup Qualifiers in Edmonton show how passionate the people of Alberta are when it comes to soccer.

IWF: On the other hand, what do you think that Edmonton and Alberta would bring to the FIFA World Cup?

AD: It would bring everything that city brought to me and my family when we moved here. Which is a lot of love and hospitality. Edmonton is a beautiful, diverse place, and I have no doubt they will accept the rest of the world, exactly how they accepted me and my family when we moved here.  Edmonton has some great facilities and there are a lot of things happening in the city, especially in the summer seasons. We have some of the best restaurants and dining in western Canada. Plus every year, Edmonton hosts some great festivals, including Heritage Days which host 60 countries who showcase their countries’ favorite foods, music, and entertainment. It’s one of the largest cultural events in the country.

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

I found it interesting that the article was precise about the number of Mexico hosts but not Canada and the USA.

FIFA is expected to announce the venues in the next two months. The United States will have 10 or 11 stadiums, Mexico three and Canada two or three to stage an 80-game tournament that will expand to 48 teams from 32 in 2026.

Shows you how much attention I pay to the NFL, I didn't know the Redskins are now known as the Commanders (re the article)

On 4/22/2022 at 8:59 AM, Joe MacCarthy said:

I found it interesting that the article was precise about the number of Mexico hosts but not Canada and the USA.

FIFA is expected to announce the venues in the next two months. The United States will have 10 or 11 stadiums, Mexico three and Canada two or three to stage an 80-game tournament that will expand to 48 teams from 32 in 2026...

When looking at this objectively rather than cheerleading a particular outcome the reason for that should be reasonably obvious. Monterrey, Guadalajara and Mexico City are a lock at this point but they haven't decided on what to do with Edmonton and Vancouver yet and which American cities would be paired up with one or both of them when that is resolved.

Things that make you go hmmm... 🤔

This isn't official and its just written so gotta wonder what his sources are but it is interesting  nonetheless... 

https://the18.com/soccer-entertainment/2026-world-cup-stadiums-usa-mexico-canada-list-preview

From the article:

"The 2026 World Cup will be held in the summer of 2026 at 16 venues in three different countries. Three will be in Mexico, three in Canada and the remaining 10 in the U.S. 

The host cities and venues for Mexico and Canada have been confirmed, while FIFA will pare down the list of U.S. stadiums from 17 to 10 in April 2022."

I know we can't compete with NFL money and stadiums but venue comparison is rather depressing. 

1 hour ago, Dre_03 said:

This isn't official and its just written so gotta wonder what his sources are but it is interesting  nonetheless... 

https://the18.com/soccer-entertainment/2026-world-cup-stadiums-usa-mexico-canada-list-preview

From the article:

"The 2026 World Cup will be held in the summer of 2026 at 16 venues in three different countries. Three will be in Mexico, three in Canada and the remaining 10 in the U.S. 

The host cities and venues for Mexico and Canada have been confirmed, while FIFA will pare down the list of U.S. stadiums from 17 to 10 in April 2022."

I know we can't compete with NFL money and stadiums but venue comparison is rather depressing. 

The US venues are pretty impressive.  tbh, I wish we had venues like that as it would be amazing to see Canada playing in an 80,000 packed house.

9 hours ago, Dre_03 said:

From the article:

I was actually looking at that piece about an hour ago. Before seeing your post.  I think that they are just re-hashing stuff from the bid book.   Plus there are really 16 (not 17) US venues still in the running, as Washington/Landover has pulled out. 

I think, that the author was factually wrong that the Canadian venues and mexican venues have been confirmed.  He might have been referring to the bid book notion of three venues.  But, yes indeed, it is disappointing that we cant get a half decent venue.   

Edited by Free kick

Grant Wahl in his podcast said American bid cities are getting tired of the waiting game. Cities now won't be announced till June. They're also upset Vancouver is allowed back in while they have been working on their bids for years.

He also said Orlando is likely out - good local commitment but stadium is outdated. Miami's presentation didn't impress FIFA but they might still get it because it is Miami (same reason Vancouver is back in). Only one city in Florida will likely be selected.

Denver is likely out because of altitude. Nashville is likely out because they shot themselves in the foot by announcing a new NFL stadium is coming in 2026. FIFA doesn't want the uncertainty of this tight timeline. But Nashville may get picked as the World Cup Draw city.

Cincy is likely out as stadium is outdated. Besides LA's SoFi stadium, there are a number of stadiums that are too narrow unless renos are done. There are also issues like with Atlanta's stadium where the corner kick taker can't be seen on the main camera shot.

2 hours ago, red card said:

Grant Wahl in his podcast said American bid cities are getting tired of the waiting game. Cities now won't be announced till June. They're also upset Vancouver is allowed back in while they have been working on their bids for years.

He also said Orlando is likely out - good local commitment but stadium is outdated. Miami's presentation didn't impress FIFA but they might still get it because it is Miami (same reason Vancouver is back in). Only one city in Florida will likely be selected.

Denver is likely out because of altitude. Nashville is likely out because they shot themselves in the foot by announcing a new NFL stadium is coming in 2026. FIFA doesn't want the uncertainty of this tight timeline. But Nashville may get picked as the World Cup Draw city.

Cincy is likely out as stadium is outdated. Besides LA's SoFi stadium, there are a number of stadiums that are too narrow unless renos are done. There are also issues like with Atlanta's stadium where the corner kick taker can't be seen on the main camera shot.

Thanks for sharing.  Your mention of Nashville is the one surprise for me because i had them on my list as being "in" for sure.  I based that in part of that fact that they hosted a WCQ recently, their MLS attendance is good and they have a natural surface.   I had Orlando and Cincy as "out" for the same reason they mentioned.   I am surprised they didnt say Boston was "out" due to their horrible stadium location and the fact that there is no public transit to get there.  I had Denver as out but due clustering issues but on the bubble at the same time.   If they are going to play in Mexico city (a much higher altitude) then why not Denver.   

The reason for the hold up might just be the selection and problems with the selection of the Canadian cities.  What to do with conditions imposed for financing by the Alberta gov't?   Also the logistical issues that Edmonton presents:  lack of hotels, no high end hotels,  lack of direct flights to  International destinations,  inter city accessibility issues, what groups and cities to cluster Edmonton with...etc etc.  Like I said, Stadium issues can be fixed with money so that might not be the big issue but its still nowhere near to being and ideal stadium no matter how much you spend to upgrade. 

Anyways, here is who i am putting money on

THIS IS A REPOST of WHAT I ENTERRED EARLIER

in

1- Houston - Natural surface and will cluster with the three Mexican cities (Mexico city, Monterrey, Guadalajara).  NRG Stadium scored 4.2 / 5 in the FIFA technical reports.  That was highest score of all Stadiums in North America

2- New York/New Jersey -  NOT NATURAL SURFACE.  But you have to have New York.  And you have to have 4 cities to makeup a North east cluster

3- Baltimore -  Natural surface.  Washington (after the negative reviews they got from FIFA) already announced that they will partner with Baltimore.  So they must know something. Plus you can put them in either a South East or North east cluster.

4- Nashville -  Natural surface.  They hosted a WCQ match so that's a good sign, so is the surfaces and the fact that you need at least 4 cities to make up a South East cluster

5- Los Angeles -  Natural surface (ROSE BOWL).  Same as New York,  you need LA and you need 4 Pacific coast cities to make up a cluster

6- San Francisco - Natural surface.  Plus you can build the Pacific cluster with LA and possibly Seattle and Vancouver (As Horgan mentioned).  Seattle and Vancouver are NOT NATURAL SURFACE

7- Atlanta -  NOT NATURAL SURFACE.  However two of FIFA’s six first-tier corporate partners are American companies headquarters in American bid cities. The Coca’Cola' global headquarters are based in Atlanta, while central operations for Visa are situated in San Fran.  Also, it has good MLS attendance and it can cluster with Nashville and a Florida city to form a southern cluster.

8-Kansas City- Natural surface. Kansas City for the fact that its a legacy selection.   By that i mean the Hunt family and their connections to the game plus the fact that it has supported very well the pro club in MLS.   The reluctance with KC is that it does not cluster as a location.  Its right in middle of the US and hence neither a North east city, nor a southern city, nor a Pacific coast city.  The first criticism of every FIFA event in North America is the travel distances.   From what i saw on-line and youtube of their presentation, they seemed to really want it. 

9- Miami - Natural surface.  It will be be a choice between Miami and Orlando.  In cant see two Florida cities getting it.   The stadium in Miami has a natural surface whereas Orlando does not.  Problem is Orlando is a better MLS city. I still think it will be Miami because of all the expats from Latin America.

10- Seattle - NOT NATURAL SURFACE. Good MLS city and forms a good cluster with other Pacific coast cities

Edited by Free kick

My 10 host cities for the US if I were choosing cities on the American side for co hosting:

1- Atlanta (Mercedes Benz Stadium)

2- Dallas (Jerry World/Cowboys Stadium)

3- Miami (Hard Rock Stadium)

4- Los Angeles (SoFi Stadium)

5- Philadelphia (Lincoln Financial Field)

6- Kansas City (Arrowhead Stadium)

7- Seattle (Lumen Field)

8- Bay Area (Levi's Stadium)

9- New York/New Jersey (MetLife Stadium)

10- Baltimore (M&T Bank Stadium)

20 hours ago, red card said:

Thanks for the breakdown. Frankly, I don't give a shit that the Americans are upset Vancouver was let back in. It's not taking any games away from them (unless it is, in which case good but it would still likely only be maybe 2) and we're only putting forward 3 cities at most anyway.

31 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Thanks for the breakdown. Frankly, I don't give a shit that the Americans are upset Vancouver was let back in. It's not taking any games away from them (unless it is, in which case good but it would still likely only be maybe 2) and we're only putting forward 3 cities at most anyway.

Yes.  This is the part that I don't get.  There was still going to be ten host cities for the US regardless of whether or not Vancouver was let back in or not.  The selection or selection process in Mexico and Canada has no impact what so ever on what's happening in the US. 

I went and listened to that podcast.   The one gripe that might have some merit though is that FIFA decided for the first time ever to remove the local organizing committees and centralize the process and activities in with FIFA headquarters.  This means that FIFA will be directing everything that has to done and carried out from and planning and organizational standpoint.  That's very risky!  

And means less transparency and it could boggle things down and lead to  bad decisions because who has the better grasp of what's happening on the ground?  the local organizers who live in the communities or some bureaucrats sitting in a Zurich office.   Their perspective is bound to be biased tainted by European, laws, processes,  views, culture...etc. that are not in sync with North American realities.    People could be overworked and miss deadlines.   For example, at the 2007 U20 WC,  there were local organizing committees in each Canadian city.

Edited by Free kick

Grant Wahl has just put out another piece on this topic on his private subscription site.    He supports his findings and revelations by indicating that he has talked to a lot of insiders.   I am inclined to trust his credibility on this topic.   His initial list was similar to the one I put above except for two cities, He has Dallas and Philly while the list I had has Nashville and Baltimore

He claims that Philly has risen faster than any other city in the bid process.  So much so that its a lock now.  He also mentioned, as i have,  that FIFA wants pods.  Pods being a cluster of cities in close proximity and this means that Vancouver's re entry is greatly helping Seattle.  From the article, it doesn't look good at all for Edmonton based on what his sources have said.   I am putting it mildly here but he indicated that it was a common feeling amongst his sources.  

Other items,  FIFA is considering move their commercial HQ from Zurich to New York and that its this group who is spearheading the talks with cities.    

Edited by Free kick