2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

11 minutes ago, Dre_03 said:

...settling for 10 games when 12 or 15 would have been more appropriate...

10 is better than 0 so not sure settling is the right word here. The USSF could have easily done a solo bid so maybe that was as high as they were willing to go on a joint bid in a take it or leave it sort of way. The CSA's realistic chance at a successful 2026 solo bid was going to be if the USA had stayed out of the picture because of FIFA's shenanigans on awarding 2018 and 2022 to Russia and Qatar during the Blatter era, so they probably didn't have much leverage.

11 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

With all due respect to the WWC can’t compare the two in terms of global popularity. However , the real problem is the amount of games that Canada has been given. We need more games I don’t think it’s too late to try and get more , 15 would be perfect with 5 games given to each of the three cities . I really have no problem with Edmonton they have hosted tournaments before and have done well I’m sure they can do a great job hosting games during the 2026 World Cup.

Thank you!   Why the hell are we even daring to compare the Women's WC and the Men's WC.   These are two entirely different beasts.  I am not saying that is fair but it is what it is.    In the first phase of the ticket lottery for Qatar there were 17 Million requests for tickets.  Does anyone in their right mind honestly believe that the requests for the WWC tickets in Canada was anywhere in the same universe as that number?

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Once the tournament went to 48 teams that pretty killed any chances of Canada solo hosting 

Still hate the fact it’s going to 48 , these idiots are are taking away some of the uniqueness of this tournament. The best thing about this tournament is just how hard it is to qualify as we have seen. 

32 minutes ago, narduch said:

Once the tournament went to 48 teams that pretty killed any chances of Canada solo hosting 

The chances to solo host were dead even before they went to 48 teams.    You still need:

1) twelve stadiums

- with 45K seating capacity

- with a grass surface

- with  modern amenities

2) Hotel accommodations 

- Hotel rooms in sufficient quantity 

-Five star hotels

3) Developed Transportation infrastructure

- inter city travel

- public transit 

I could go on and on.  Lets not forget,  Canada did bid to go at it alone.  If you do some digging on what the conclusions were ( ie.: there are some interviews on this subject from officials who were close top that situation), teh conclusion was obvious that we simply do not have what it takes to host this thing alone.   It was the CSA's decsion to join the US bid becasue they had no chance unless you do like Qatar and spend a gazillion dollars for for a bunch of white elephants

Edited by Free kick

Exactly! Realistically Canada was never going to host a solo WC, especially not now with an expanded tournament. 48 nations is a bloated tourney but it gives us a slice of the hosting pie. That said, we are struggling to put together 3 host cities and stadiums as it is, with our inadequate infrastructure.

I wish it wasn't so but it is what it is.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No, the reason they are hosting is that FIFA has a policy developed over recent decades to ensure all confederations and a diversity of football cultures get the WC.

It was only European or Latino until the 90s.

See the US, Korea/Japan, South Africa. Even Russia means meeting the post Cold War Eastern block, like it or not. Qatar responds to why an Islamic country has never hosted. That bribery may occur is secondary, hey, Salt Lake committed major corruption to get their Games. I'd imagine now the corruption was far greater in Russia. 

The over the top and generally absolutist critiques of Qatar conceal something else, which for better or worse the choice of Qatar was meant to address. 

There enough stories out there from credible sources that Sepp Blatter and each of confederation heads had agreed a long time ago to award the 2018 WC to Russia and the 2022 WC to the US.  ACTUALLY,  THERE ARE DIRECT QUOTES FROM BLATTER HIMSELF (in video interviews).   If you bother to look it up.  

What messed up the plans and ultimately led to Blatter's downfall, was that Nichola Sarkozy put the squeeze on Michel Platini (the night before the vote)  to deliver the UEFA votes to Qatar instead on the US as was planned and agreed amonst FIFA heads.  This was done as quid pro quo whereby QATAR would order a shit load of Airbus 380's in exchange for Sarkozy getting Platini to reverse his vote.  The the US would have otherwise won the rights to host 2022 on their own.  Blatter would still be in office,  there would have been no investigation from the FBI, nor the Long Island district attorney.   Why the the hell would a Long island NY DA care about or be interested about FIFA?.  unless the direction was initiated from some people in the US who were pissed off.   So now we have shared bid in 2026 to make the optics not look as bad.  

So it has nothing to do with what you are saying.

Edit:

There are many, here is the first one i found:

go to the 10th or 11th minute mark

Other sources: Former FIFA head Sepp Blatter: Nicolas Sarkozy meeting key to Qatar vote - TSN.ca

Edited by Free kick

21 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Why don't we just make this easy for everybody. 

Can those who want Edmonton out just have the balls to come out and say "I want Edmonton out" so the rest of us don't have to pretend that is what your barely cryptic posts really are saying.

I don't want Edmonton out, I love Edmonton and visit every year. My avatar is of the the mighty Wostok, Alberta (now sadly largely abandoned). My pragmatic view is that with Vancouver back in, there is an increased and unfortunate chance that Edmonton gets passed on. Quality of stadium, non-football amenities, proximity to other venues, etc. are not really in Edmonton's favour. 

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

There enough stories out there from credible sources that Sepp Blatter and each of confederation heads had agreed a long time ago to award the 2018 WC to Russia and the 2022 WC to the US.  ACTUALLY,  THERE ARE DIRECT QUOTES FROM BLATTER HIMSELF (in video interviews).   If you bother to look it up.  

What messed up the plans and ultimately led to Blatter's downfall, was that Nichola Sarkozy put the squeeze on Michel Platini (the night before the vote)  to deliver the UEFA votes to Qatar instead on the US as was planned and agreed amonst FIFA heads.  This was done as quid pro quo whereby QATAR would order a shit load of Airbus 380's in exchange for Sarkozy getting Platini to reverse his vote.  The the US would have otherwise won the rights to host 2022 on their own. 

So it has nothing to do with what you are saying.

Come on, that's your serious explanation? The night before the vote? That is simply a false and horribly simplified version. 

It's also the paranoic jingoistic English press version. 

First, you plain ignore that many nations opposed the US as they'd had it in the 90s and there is massive opposition to the perception they plain out buy the FIFA decisions they please. You ignore the lobby for an Islamic country was strong internationally for decades and not only amongst Islamic nations. Its a longstanding FIFA commitment and more so with geopolitical tensions. And it also meant giving it a 2nd time to Asia, the most populated confederation.

You basically say there'd been a previous deal behind the backs of voting FIFA nations in favour of the US, but seem to think that deal was up and up and not the one voted (you're arguing the first anti democratic corrupt scenario was better than the second one, laughable). 

Never mind just plain hiding there is not a radically antiArab sentiment feeding certain opinions, spearheaded notably by the xenophobic British press, so dishonest. 

But to prove the US bid was instable: it was so "popular" that 2026 had to be brokered as a joint Cup rather than exclusively American. You could never give it to Mexico a third time (in the face of bids that have never gotten it, or only once) and the US a second without Canada's presence allowing FIFA to say there was a new host. 

But just ignore complex FIFA politics and stick with the version you pulled from the cereal box. 

4 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

there is an increased and unfortunate chance that Edmonton gets passed on. Quality of stadium, non-football amenities, proximity to other venues, etc. are not really in Edmonton's favour. 

Let's start with this one first. I'd like to know exactly what is wrong with Commonwealth Stadium, aside from the usual generic non answers like it's old and has artificial turf.  It would be nice to know what that architectural marvel BMO has that Commonwealth doesn't or won't be able to get.

As for the rest, remember FIFA has no rules, else wise Vancouver wouldn't be back in the "competition"

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Come on, that's your serious explanation? The night before the vote? That is simply a false and horribly simplified version. 

It's also the paranoic jingoistic English press version. 

First, you plain ignore that many nations opposed the US as they'd had it in the 90s and there is massive opposition to the perception they plain out buy the FIFA decisions they please. You ignore the lobby for an Islamic country was strong internationally for decades and not only amongst Islamic nations. Its a longstanding FIFA commitment and more so with geopolitical tensions. And it also meant giving it a 2nd time to Asia, the most populated confederation.

You basically say there'd been a previous deal behind the backs of voting FIFA nations in favour of the US, but seem to think that deal was up and up and not the one voted (you're arguing the first anti democratic corrupt scenario was better than the second one, laughable). 

Never mind just plain hiding there is not a radically antiArab sentiment feeding certain opinions, spearheaded notably by the xenophobic British press, so dishonest. 

But to prove the US bid was instable: it was so "popular" that 2026 had to be brokered as a joint Cup rather than exclusively American. You could never give it to Mexico a third time (in the face of bids that have never gotten it, or only once) and the US a second without Canada's presence allowing FIFA to say there was a new host. 

But just ignore complex FIFA politics and stick with the version you pulled from the cereal box. 

BUT there is bloody interview right there with Sepp Blatter!!!!.  He says so himself.   Unless its maniquin :)   there are other similar ones if you bother to check!!!! where he say it.     Thats why Qatar got teh WC.  There is no other reason!

Just now, Ansem said:

*Even with only 32 teams, Canada could never host solo*

How did we ever get Olympic games? How did other less wealthy nations ever hosted them while we are this world 10th economy? 🙄

What the naysayers will say is, Oh, the Olympics and the World Cup are two different things, on a different scale, are you too stupid to see that."

What they don't seem to see is potential and will.  Canada can do anything, we've proved it, all we need is the will.  This country loves big project: The CPR, St Lawrence Seaway etc.  I remember posting the day the Herdsman was interviewed by Tim and Sid and basically said if you're not down with what I'm trying to do then get the hell outta the way.  Naysayers not needed.

15 minutes ago, Ansem said:

*Even with only 32 teams, Canada could never host solo*

How did we ever get Olympic games? How did other less wealthy nations ever hosted them while we are this world 10th economy? 🙄

4 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

What the naysayers will say is, Oh, the Olympics and the World Cup are two different things, on a different scale, are you too stupid to see that."

What they don't seem to see is potential and will.  Canada can do anything, we've proved it, all we need is the will.  This country loves big project: The CPR, St Lawrence Seaway etc.  I remember posting the day the Herdsman was interviewed by Tim and Sid and basically said if you're not down with what I'm trying to do then get the hell outta the way.  Naysayers not needed.

You guys have been reading too much Pierre Berton

59 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I was waiting for the usual Rudi, hit and run, too cool for school post.  I thought it would be on the people wanting Edmonton out post, though. :)

I just don’t understand the usage of that buzzword in this context. 

Who’s been cancelled?

2 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Did the post specify or say anyone was "cancelled"?

It was your post, why are you asking me?

I read it as you accusing Ozzie of “cancelling” UT, which is obviously not what happened. He just said he’ll ignore UT from now on, which is what I should have done to your response.