2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

I think the economic stimulus for this events is nothing but what it does is create an excuse to build things that will create a sustained economic stimulus and create things that just a benefit in general. It's not about the 2 week window 

Look at the Vancouver Olympics.. the end of the day it was just a us Vancouverites getting drunk and partying for a few weeks but look at everything that was built. because I got news for everyone. Canada is going to grow at an alarming rate over the next 10 years. So why not build shit that makes our life more enjoyable? Its not just a black and white thing, if you think building a stadium will save an economy or create an economy yah that's dumb. It's like having a surf board but there's no waves but if there are crazy waves coming in you better go buy a surf board

All these so called experts downplaying the benefits are either purposely being naive with an agenda or have zero vision. If they work for a university they're probably angling for some government money to do one of their reports which will undoubtedly lead to another study and another report and we can maybe have a decision made by 2036

Edited by SpursFlu

59 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  I am with you 100% on these things.   I am proponent of these kind of events, don't get me wrong.  But I do wince and blush at some of the arguments of the dollars (in terms of economic spin offs) that some of the proponents advance.     

To me the benefit, is mostly the exposure.  Before Brazil 2014, I had never heard of Manaus.   But since Brazil 2014 I have.   And often think of how it would be an interesting place to visit.   That is where the benefit lies in hosting.   There are potentially  4 Billion ppl on the planet who who could learn of Manaus or Jasper.   But that one is hard to quantify in dollars what that means.  But there definitely is a benefit

I am totally with you on Manaus...looks like an absolutely fascinating place to visit

2 hours ago, Nored said:

If Edmonton is hosting,  do you think it is likely they will go with a hybrid surface like Toronto and keep that in place for the years following? Seems like it would be a good solution rather than just a temporary installation for the World Cup. It appears it would be able to stand up to CFL use and be good for hosting future soccer matches.  I believe Edmonton's artificial turf is due for replacement around 2026 anyway,  so they need to decide on their next surface regardless of the World Cup bid. How is hybrid turf working out in Toronto? 

I would say one year in then it will be taken out.  Maintenance costs are not worth it, that's why most civically owned stadiums have artificial surfaces.  BMO, while owned by the city, is operated by MLSE, the rest of the cities in Canada do not have that luxury.

3 hours ago, mrstepp817 said:

I am totally with you on Manaus...looks like an absolutely fascinating place to visit

Interesting tidbit on Manaus since the stadium was built a new team was created called Manaus FC and they're slowly climbing the later. The stadiums in Brazil were held up as a big waist of resources but social things aside the stadiums have paid from a footballing perspective with the Brasileirao having a big up swing. Just checkout Copa Carioca last night in the Maracana and watch the return leg Saturday. Beautifully packed

Case in point.. if anyone can find a stream to the Nordesta final. WC stadium in Recife absolutely rocking putting any epl atmosphere to shame. Not even a traditionally huge club. So haters gone hate, that's how it goes. Ideologues gone be Ideologues 

Edited by SpursFlu

Nashville Convention and Visitors Corp commissioned a study by University of Tennessee's Boyd Center for Business and Economic Research.

The city could see an estimated US$695 million impact if Nashville is chosen to host four games.

It would generate nearly 5,500 annualized jobs, $205.6 million in generated income and more than $66 million in combined tax revenue. 639.3 million (92%) would derive from visitors and $18.9 million (3%) would come from tickets, merchandise and concessions.

In addition to the economic benefits, the analysis also concluded that “the attention Nashville receives from being thrust onto the world stage could offer much longer-term economic gains.”

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2022/02/03/nashville-host-2026-world-cup-study-700-million-economic-impact/6649281001/

– $64 million for upgrades to BMO Field that it would not otherwise need, notably an expansion to 45,000 seats.

Info from the National Post article. 

Making BMO a natural grass field with 45000 permanent seats would essentially give Canada a National Soccer Stadium.

It may be cavernous for TFC matches and the Argos but will sure be nice to base the majority of CMNT games out of. 

Some of the money will need to increase washroom capacity. Way too low as on display last Sunday. 

1 hour ago, gator said:

The National Post doesn't think it is a good financial proposition for Toronto to host matches:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/chris-selley-290-million-to-host-five-soccer-games-walk-away-canada

What a rube.  It perfectly matches the drivel that comes out of this guy, if you read NP at all.  Why take the once in a lifetime chance to host, upgrade BMO, build all those training grounds etc, and sit back and reap the rewards for generations? What an ass...what is main stumbling block we run into in canada...no stadium, no money, no one wants to pay for it.  Here is the perfect reason to pony up.  And less than a day after we qualify and this ass clown is rushing to be the first to say lets not have the games here.  

2 hours ago, gator said:

The National Post doesn't think it is a good financial proposition for Toronto to host matches:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/chris-selley-290-million-to-host-five-soccer-games-walk-away-canada

Just a phrase of caution.

If you start listening to anything Chris Selley has to "Sellyou", you will end up mostly naked, probably wearing a barrel with suspenders over your shoulders, and paying for the next Conservative leadership race, after having paid for the last one the year prior.

No public funds can get spent appropriately, on anything, when Selley is at the helm.  That's simply his ethos.  Except military...he likes funds for the military.

45 minutes ago, eramosat said:

Just a phrase of caution.

If you start listening to anything Chris Selley has to "Sellyou", you will end up mostly naked, probably wearing a barrel with suspenders over your shoulders, and paying for the next Conservative leadership race, after having paid for the last one the year prior.

No public funds can get spent appropriately, on anything, when Selley is at the helm.  That's simply his ethos.  Except military...he likes funds for the military.

Not surprising, it seems to be a hot topic now and there will be some debate, I have never heard of the author tbh!

29 minutes ago, gator said:

Not surprising, it seems to be a hot topic now and there will be some debate, I have never heard of the author tbh!

I also have very little knowledge of this author, thankfully, except that he's to be filed under "Writes about anything and everything through a biased and quite up-front political lens".  Unless it scores points for his political leanings, he ain't bothered to write anything.  This article is simply extremely cheap, but timely, views for him...he could care 2 beans.

As my grade 11 history teacher Mr. Patton hammered into us..."know the author's bias!".

P.S.  I also have a bias, awaiting detection.  These Toronto costs surprise a bit but I'm not overly bothered.

Edited by eramosat
bias disclosure

Toronto will definitely host games in 2026 like that is a given, given that the players love playing there and also the atmosphere in Toronto, there is nothing like it. I mean especially during World Cup time or during EUROs it is just as crazy generally. This is how die hard the city of Toronto is about the game but also if Canada were to play a game there during the World Cup in our backyard at BMO, essentially it would be a fortress. But also sell out within record time which is even more money in your pocket for the city. Throw in you would have tourists from 47 other countries here in Toronto on top of Canadian fans and the accommodation, the transit all of that you make at least 10x the money. Tourism would be through the roof.

1 hour ago, mrstepp817 said:

There's no doubt BMO will host, it'll cost the least to get the stadium up to par...I didnt realize the washrooms were an issue, but it makes sense sense the stadium was built to seat 25k...when they expanded the stadium originally did they add washrooms at all???

They did add washrooms when they expanded, the upper deck was added to the East side and has its own facilities, there were not enough washrooms in the original configuration of our National Soccer Stadium!

2 hours ago, gator said:

They did add washrooms when they expanded, the upper deck was added to the East side and has its own facilities, there were not enough washrooms in the original configuration of our National Soccer Stadium!

The problem is the west stands. There is not sufficient washrooms and the concession area is very poor. As someone else mentioned there is also a wind tunnel effect. People were warming their hands with hot water and on the only heater in the men's washrooms. The east stands 2nd level facilities are great

https://dailycannon.com/2022/04/stan-kroenke-pitch-world-cup/

quote:”Despite spending between $3.8billion and $5billion on his SoFi Stadium, which sprawls over a 298-acre site in LA (three times larger than Disneyland), Stan Kroenke is facing having to fork out even more cash to fix an issue with the pitch if he wants to host the World Cup final.  

The stadium, which can hold 70,000 people, does not meet FIFA’s pitch requirements and, if Kroenke wants his flagship project to be involved in the 2026 World Cup, which will be hosted by the United States, Mexico and Canada, they will need to find a way to widen the pitch.”

Edited by Free kick

45 minutes ago, Free kick said:

https://dailycannon.com/2022/04/stan-kroenke-pitch-world-cup/

quote:”Despite spending between $3.8billion and $5billion on his SoFi Stadium, which sprawls over a 298-acre site in LA (three times larger than Disneyland), Stan Kroenke is facing having to fork out even more cash to fix an issue with the pitch if he wants to host the World Cup final.  

The stadium, which can hold 70,000 people, does not meet FIFA’s pitch requirements and, if Kroenke wants his flagship project to be involved in the 2026 World Cup, which will be hosted by the United States, Mexico and Canada, they will need to find a way to widen the pitch.”

Seriously?   How Bloody Hell does something like that not get built into the blueprints?  How?

Oh my....

On 3/30/2022 at 9:11 PM, Watchmen said:

BC Place is also owned by the Province, while the city of Edmonton owns Commonwealth.  Costs for any upgrades would also fall under a different jurisdiction. 

BMO Field is owned by the city of Toronto. Most of the cost for the upgrades recently, along with the earlier addition of natural turf, was paid for privately. I think the city's portion of the whole thing was about $10 million - and they get a revenue stream from stadium.

On 2/15/2022 at 12:58 AM, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I posted a link but here it is again

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/28/dc-2026-world-cup-entry-would-require-removal-some-fedex-field-seats/

Plenty of games are played in these stadiums in spite of the narrow dimensions because when it's the Gold Cup or a summer friendly, nobody gives a toss and they just play anyway.  The Gold Cup final in Vegas was farcical with the corner flag hard up against the wall and the width still under minimum.  It blew up on twitter before the game.

The most common issue happens when they angle the corner seats toward midfield which pinches the available width.  Some stadiums like Atlanta have removable corners but it's still tight and people in these sections can't see the near corner flag.  Metlife and Houston have similar setups but not quite as severe.  

image.jpeg.cdc9ea3588dce0140e50f10d4cf5d934.jpeg

For the 94 World Cup, the Cotton Bowl in Dallas and the Rose Bowl had seating removed in the corners.  You can see where the first row of seats in the bowl breaks.  They put these seats back in for gridiron

Capacity crowd expected for Mexico vs El Salvador Gold Cup Match at Cotton  Bowl Today, July 18

The Rose Bowl with the same seating cutout.  However, they kept the change after the 94 World Cup.

Rose Bowl Stadium ar Twitter: "#OnThisDay in 1994, the #RoseBowl saw the  first #WorldCup final be decided in a penalty shoot-out. @CBF_Futebol beat  @azzurri 3-2 to win the title for the 4th

On the flip side, the best for soccer are the the stadiums like Nashville and MIami because the corners are 90 degree angles with wide dimensions allowing more room.  In this picture you can still faintly make out the soccer dimensions from a recent friendly.  Looks like tons of room available but the soccer dimensions need every inch of it.

CMN Sports Partners with Relevent to Present Colombia vs. Venezuela Sept. 7  at Hard Rock Stadium - Hard Rock Stadium

image.jpeg

Bump