2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

39 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think it's almost too late for anything like that.

This is one of my sore spots of our hosting. We really should have worked a new stadium into our bid. For example in Vancouver as well.

Yes.  This is sad!  Everybody wants the economic spin-offs without having to put a single cent into it.   It’s like everyone is looking for a free lunch.  They could’ve and should’ve properly expanded BMO to 45K instead of saying that they will meet the 45k requirement with temporary seating.  

we love to believe that soccer has turned a corner in this country.  But no body (politicians) is willing to put their money where their month is like they do for hockey.  How much did that’s new hockey arena in Edmonton cost the Alberta tax payers?   A decent soccer stadium would cost a tiny fraction of that.  Plus it could be used for the CFL, CPL, commonwealth games bid…. Etc.

Edited by Free kick

23 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

How long did it take to build the stadium in Saskatchewan? It would meet WC standards 

No it would not.  They purposely laid down a surface that doesn’t meet FIFA standards.  They could have done otherwise but chose not to. 

7 minutes ago, Free kick said:

No it would not.  They purposely laid down a surface that doesn’t meet FIFA standards.  They could have done otherwise but chose not to. 

I just meant the size. The surface is another thing. Im just trying to establish a timeline of how long ot would take to build a wc standard size stadium 

15 hours ago, Dre_03 said:

From an investment perspective I understand the conditions but I think it's a bold and dangerous approach by AB Gov't to attach them. Basically telling Canada Soccer and Fifa to pick Edmonton over Vancouver because they backed out. We'll see if it pays off.

Scared money don’t make money.

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Why not a new stadium in Edmonton? 

Or how about screw Vancouver.. they really don't deserve it anyways 

Why not build a new stadium in Surrey? I'm not sure if the Caps would move but the Lions must be dying to get out of Vancouver 

No new stadium in Edmonton because the city doesn't need it. Commonwealth is used less than 20 times a year for events like concerts, CFL and high school football. The facility (at least for athletes) is pretty well maintained and the Elks put the money they make back into the facility. 

They'll need some grass, more VIP areas, etc, but investing $350 million for a stadium that would never be used would be silly. Plus demolishing commonwealth will also be very costly... It's already in a pretty good area location wise.  

https://globalnews.ca/news/8722087/sohi-edmonton-2026-fifa-world-cup-2026-alberta-canada/?utm_source=%40GlobalEdmonton&utm_medium=Twitter

Sohi thanked Minister of Culture Ronald Orr for working hard on Edmonton’s bid request and didn’t seem concerned Wednesday with the province’s conditions.

The City of Edmonton understands that if it is selected to host, work will need to be done to satisfy FIFA, including upgrades to city facilities, improving Commonwealth’s changeroom, replacing the stadium’s artificial turf with natural green grass.

Am I missing something? BC Place just installed new Field Turf. Not grass. If FIFA wants all games on grass then that eliminates Vancouver. Commonwealth's turf was scheduled to be replaced around 2025-26 anyway so they just pull it out and put in grass if necessary. 

1 minute ago, RS said:

It'd be temporary grass on plates, just like would happen in several NFL venues in the U.S.

FIFA said:  No temporary grass surface for 2026.  Everybody has to have a grass pitch and it must be installed and allowed to settle for a month before.

Edited by Free kick

8 minutes ago, Free kick said:

FIFA said.  No temporary grass surface for 2026

FIFA says a lot of things.

The open air NFL stadia could possibly convert to "permanent" grass for a year, but the likes of Dallas and Atlanta wouldn't be able to because they are domed. AT&T Stadium in Dallas is the biggest NFL venue in the U.S. (when expanded), so I don't see how it's excluded.

I really don't see FIFA passing up on a place like New York (MetLife Stadium) just because it has artificial turf. They used grass trays for Giants Stadium in 1994 and I don't see how, over 30 years later, this wouldn't be a satisfactory solution given the advances in technology since then.

51 minutes ago, ShaneC06 said:

No new stadium in Edmonton because the city doesn't need it. Commonwealth is used less than 20 times a year for events like concerts, CFL and high school football. The facility (at least for athletes) is pretty well maintained and the Elks put the money they make back into the facility. 

They'll need some grass, more VIP areas, etc, but investing $350 million for a stadium that would never be used would be silly. Plus demolishing commonwealth will also be very costly... It's already in a pretty good area location wise.  

350 million is a lot of money? Have been paying attention to things lately? It's peanuts. Plus I know it's evil to think this way in this country but how about private money? Honestly it makes whole lot more sense to spend 350 million on a new stadium which can create several other revenue streams than to drop millions just to put lipstick on a pig and just kick the can down the road for another 10 15 years 

Edited by SpursFlu

11 minutes ago, jonovision said:

^ I don't think anybody would be opposed to private money being spent on a stadium in this country. 

Right but you need to make it worth it for people. You can't have 100 "stake holders" falling out the sky with their hands out and endless bureaucracy to fight thru. It makes everything impossible

57 minutes ago, RS said:

FIFA says a lot of things.

The open air NFL stadia could possibly convert to "permanent" grass for a year, but the likes of Dallas and Atlanta wouldn't be able to because they are domed. AT&T Stadium in Dallas is the biggest NFL venue in the U.S. (when expanded), so I don't see how it's excluded.

I really don't see FIFA passing up on a place like New York (MetLife Stadium) just because it has artificial turf. They used grass trays for Giants Stadium in 1994 and I don't see how, over 30 years later, this wouldn't be a satisfactory solution given the advances in technology since then.

The topic of Giants stadium for 1994 came up on this forum many years ago. I remember looking it up and discoverring that it was in fact a grass only stdaium at the time and before that time.  They converted to artificial a while after the 1994 world cup. 

the only stadium where they laid down a temporary grass surface was the pontiac silverdome.  And that was used for very very few matches.  One or two i think.

there wont be many US stadiums that i see winning a host bid that aren’t already natural surface.   Only NY/NJ met Life, Atlanta and Seattle.    There are a few others but i dont see them winning the bid. 

Edited by Free kick

I can't see a large soccer specific soccer stadium being built in this country (40000+ seating). As discussed government money is often inlolved in some way in these ventures. Can't see that happening in these times. There would be little to no appeitite for private investors to do such without a main anchor tennant. Likely an MLS team. No need for this.

Building a larger soccer specific stadium is likely not too good for an MLS team. Ticket supply will almost always exceede demand. 

That was my 1st time at BMO on Sunday. It was a great atmosphere in a small setting. The stadium leaves much to be desired with washroom capacity and the wind tunnel that is the concessions area but it seems the right size for an MLS team in Toronto and where our NT can play some of their games.

All of BC Place, Commonweath and the BIg O can likely host WC matches if a grass field was able to be installed. I would like to see Commonwealth re-install a permanent grass field and be used a site for NT games. Not a fan of games being played on a plastic field. Just my 2 cents.

I don't know where this is headed for WC 2026 but it sure looks like exisitng facilities will be upgraded and used. 

So, the city of Edmonton is willing to spend $110 million for the World Cup, matched by the province.

Toronto is looking at spending $90 mil.  I believe the province is willing to pay as well.

Vancouver is talking about spending... $5 million? Enough to buy three houses in the city.

I wonder which is the odd one out here.

1 hour ago, Trois Reds said:

So, the city of Edmonton is willing to spend $110 million for the World Cup, matched by the province.

Toronto is looking at spending $90 mil.  I believe the province is willing to pay as well.

Vancouver is talking about spending... $5 million? Enough to buy three houses in the city.

I wonder which is the odd one out here.

Vancouver has, by far, the least to do to get their stadium up to standard. BC Place is a temporary grass playing surface away from being ready to go. BMO needs a significant capacity upgrade. Commonwealth needs to modernise almost everything, apparently. Even still, the City of Vancouver's contribution will only be a small part of the total outlay. The province will be tipping in the bulk of the costs required to host.