2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The tickets run at around 300 bucks per game.  Thats judging from the prices we are getting quoted  from Qatar.  

I don't see FIFA dismiss Edmonton that quickly. Hometown of Davies in one of the last G7 nations where they have yet to conquer completely. This an opportunity to decisively grow the game and increase market share in the world's 10th economy.

That's a win win for all parties involved in my opinion 

26 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Does anyone know when we should hear  news about the Toronto bid. Ie stadium upgrades, number of games...just more details. I thought that FIFA was to announce all of the cities by March. 

It's apparently been moved back to end of April now.

47 minutes ago, Dre_03 said:

From an investment perspective I understand the conditions but I think it's a bold and dangerous approach by AB Gov't to attach them. Basically telling Canada Soccer and Fifa to pick Edmonton over Vancouver because they backed out. We'll see if it pays off.

This was my exact sense as well.   Its like a hail Mary pass.  Either it works and the payoffs are tremendous or you get egg in your face big time.

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Dre_03 said:

From an investment perspective I understand the conditions but I think it's a bold and dangerous approach by AB Gov't to attach them. Basically telling Canada Soccer and Fifa to pick Edmonton over Vancouver because they backed out. We'll see if it pays off.

For about a month, Mayor Sohi and UCP representatives have indicated they were in private negotiations with FIFA

All such parties sounded ecstatic today.  Those same individuals who were in private negotiations (Ron Orr, Amarjeet Sohi, Tim Cartmell, Explore Edmonton)

Would seem to suggest they worked alongside FIFA’s list of demands and met them.  In exchange, and what will likely be no surprise to FIFA, they’ll get a commitment of 5 games alongside Toronto.  

I suspect one city will get a round of 16 games while the others get two round of 32.

There is a sizeable commitment.  110M from the province would suggest 330M+ including city and Federal share.  

How far does Vancouver’s mayor commitment of 5M (part of it non cash - in kind) take them? 

It could be no in-kind and all cash, depending on what the needs are,” he said. “That will be decided by the partners, as we go forward. But there would be, in my mind, no more than $5 million in cash from the city to help host these games … I think that’s a reasonable amount.”

- Vancouver Mayor

15 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

For Toronto we definitely should get games here for 2026...I mean BMO Field is basically the main fortress for Canada when it comes to playing games but you would have sell outs each and every game no matter who plays

This. But you will have sellouts regardless where you have games. We Canadians love a sporting spectacle. The WC will be a big success wherever it will be played. 

I always just kind of assumed that if Toronto and Edmonton were the 2 host cities, Toronto would get 2 knockout matches and Edmonton would get 1. That may not be the case though, and Edmonton may be smart to try to be the city with 2 knockout games, as long as their bluff isn’t called. They do have a larger capacity as well, even if BMO increases their capacity by 10-15k.

Why not a new stadium in Edmonton? 

Or how about screw Vancouver.. they really don't deserve it anyways 

Why not build a new stadium in Surrey? I'm not sure if the Caps would move but the Lions must be dying to get out of Vancouver 

Edited by SpursFlu

10 hours ago, PunjabiOil said:

It could be no in-kind and all cash, depending on what the needs are,” he said. “That will be decided by the partners, as we go forward. But there would be, in my mind, no more than $5 million in cash from the city to help host these games … I think that’s a reasonable amount.”

- Vancouver Mayor

I think the Vancouver Mayor is saying, "We want to be a host city, but, Premier Horgan, you pay for it".

13 minutes ago, metafisical said:

I think the Vancouver Mayor is saying, "We want to be a host city, but, Premier Horgan, you pay for it".

Vancouver is broke. 2 years without tourists and $30 an hr parking. They really don't do anything else except real estate 

Edited by SpursFlu

11 hours ago, PunjabiOil said:

I suspect one city will get a round of 16 games while the others get two round of 32.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I believe the initial bid only had Canada getting one knockout game period. 3 games would be a substantial increase, which is why I don't buy Edmonton getting 2.

3 hours ago, Vasi said:

This. But you will have sellouts regardless where you have games. We Canadians love a sporting spectacle. The WC will be a big success wherever it will be played. 

Yes.  There is a bigger chance of sellouts in Canadian cities, than in Qatar.  The entire population of Qatar is less than 3Mill

17 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I believe the initial bid only had Canada getting one knockout game period. 3 games would be a substantial increase, which is why I don't buy Edmonton getting 2.

That’s sort of correct.  One R16 game for one Canadian city.   If you don’t count the R32 stage. Which never existed before

PS. the actual schedule has been posted here on the thread somewhere.  It’s also in the bid book

Edited by Free kick

27 minutes ago, Free kick said:

That’s sort of correct.  One R16 game for one Canadian city.   If you don’t count the R32 stage. Which never existed before

Right. I forgot that they increased it to 48 teams and added an extra knockout round after the bid.

2 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

Is there any possibility of the World Cup being the trigger for a new stadium in Edmonton??? Or at least some major upgrades at the current facility?? 

I think it's almost too late for anything like that.

This is one of my sore spots of our hosting. We really should have worked a new stadium into our bid. For example in Vancouver as well.