2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

Northern Futbol podcast from Mar 28 previewed an interview with Nick Bontis (CSA President). The interview will be on the next episode, but the preview indicated that 2026 host selections will likely be finalized and public by the end of April.

37 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Some conditions attached to that money. Those conditions will never be met:

If that is accurate, then i think you are right.   If its 5 matches, than there can only be two cities.  And if there is two matches in the round of 32, then i cant see how this will be possible given the requirement that the pitches must remain unused for a certain number of days between matches.

edit.:  i just saw that it said R32 or R16 matches.  So yes its possible.  But very unlikely that the orgainizers will do that.

Edited by Free kick

20 minutes ago, Free kick said:

If that is accurate, then i think you are right.   If its 5 matches, than there can only be two cities.  And if there is two matches in the round of 32, then i cant see how this will be possible given the requirement that the pitches must remain unused for a certain number of days between matches.

edit.:  i just saw that it said R32 or R16 matches.  So yes its possible.  But very unlikely that the orgainizers will do that.

Yeah, that was my point. From a technical point of view it might be possible. But the demand for 5 games with 2 guaranteed knockout games isn't going to fly.

21 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, that was my point. From a technical point of view it might be possible. But the demand for 5 games with 2 guaranteed knockout games isn't going to fly.

This might have been a way for the Governemnt to not appear to reject Edmonton while at the same time denying support without actaully doing so.  They save face by placing the burden on FIFA to reject the bid instead of the government.

Edited by Free kick

https://globalnews.ca/news/8718865/world-cup-fifa-2026-edmonton-alberta-soccer/

The above article confirms what Sandor said. 

quote:”

Confirmation of federal and municipal funding for the bid

Acknowledgement and acceptance of the province’s letters of assurance as presented to the City of Edmonton and in response to the FIFA Government Guarantees”

Confirmation that the City of Edmonton is assured to host at least five games by FIFA, if accepted as a host city, and that at least two of these five games are at the round of 32 or round of 16 knockout stages

Confirmation that unforeseen security costs will be the responsibility of the city and the federal government

Allocation of one-third of the seating allocated to the City of Edmonton”

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8718865/world-cup-fifa-2026-edmonton-alberta-soccer/

The above article confirms what Sandor said. 

quote:”

Confirmation of federal and municipal funding for the bid

Acknowledgement and acceptance of the province’s letters of assurance as presented to the City of Edmonton and in response to the FIFA Government Guarantees”

Confirmation that the City of Edmonton is assured to host at least five games by FIFA, if accepted as a host city, and that at least two of these five games are at the round of 32 or round of 16 knockout stages

Confirmation that unforeseen security costs will be the responsibility of the city and the federal government

Allocation of one-third of the seating allocated to the City of Edmonton”

I don't think they'd get that "one-third of the seating allocated to the City of Edmonton" either, though I'm not entirely sure how that part works.

Re: Edmonton 

If they are guaranteed 5 games and Vancouver comes back in the fold, that's 6 stadiums between Canada & Mexico to the 10 US stadiums.

Montagliani said many times that FIFA had last say on the World Cup. This could have FIFA possibly override the greedy 60-10-10 formula imposed by the USSF.

5 games makes more senses for governments to justify the spending than 2 or 3 games. When there was a bunch of cities, Quebec and BC were out - terms made little sense and small amount of games wouldn't justify the investment. Here we're seeing that for Alberta, 5 makes sense.

I'm all for it if this means sharing games 50-15-15. Despite what the bid book says, FIFA has last say on everything and it voted for a North American bid. 60-10-10 isn't that

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think they'd get that "one-third of the seating allocated to the City of Edmonton" either, though I'm not entirely sure how that part works.

Yes,  The more in think about it, that one condition there might be an even greater constraint or bigger "No go" as far as FIFA is concerned than the request for the number of games in various rounds.   

Edited by Free kick

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

As long as the tickets are sold full price and FIFA gets their cut, does it really matter?

The tickets run at around 300 bucks per game.  Thats judging from the prices we are getting quoted  from Qatar.  

Edited by Free kick