2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

On 8/19/2024 at 7:58 PM, Free kick said:

I have heard nothing about BMO field.  But several areas in downtown were severely impacted.  Like Union station.

PS.:  I believe that the Argos have played a home game at BMO recently.  Didn't hear of any issues

Field looks like shit today

17 hours ago, eramosat said:

It does look terrible on TV.  not sure it is terrible, I have no idea.

Had tickets to the game and sat in the south end and it was visible worn. Especially near the end line.

Apparently the Argos haven't even had a home game in 3 weeks too.

I still haven’t read or seen anything with respect to timelines for when the temporary stands will be put up.  

I cant imagine them putting up the temporary stands during a season therefore should it be during this off season or the next off season.  If its this off season,  then you gotta figure that we would have heard something by now.

@narduch I would have settled for permanent seats with a 2nd level for the south end & connecting the roofline with the east & west stands. Its unfortunate that TFC has been so poorly managed since their 2 appearances in the MLS finals. If the club was selling out home games there may have been more financial incentive from MLSE & Corp sponsors to invest in the expansion. Other than during WCQ we haven't come close to selling out games for the CMNT at BMO field. Let's hope we get a big turnout vs Panama.

Soccer is still a very hard sell in Canada. We have many Canadians that cheer for other nations, possibly because our results have been poor in the past. Momentum was lost after WC22. Almost 18 mths of going backwards, but let's hope with the new CSA management & JM as coach, we can sustain and build on what has been accomplished over the past 4+ months and really grow the sport. Starting with a great turnout at BMO vs Panama. 

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Soccer is still a very hard sell in Canada. We have many Canadians that cheer for other nations, possibly because our results have been poor in the past. Momentum was lost after WC22. Almost 18 mths of going backwards, but let's hope with the new CSA management & JM as coach, we can sustain and build on what has been accomplished over the past 4+ months and really grow the sport. Starting with a great turnout at BMO vs Panama. 

It was more like 10 months starting in late July 2023. Can’t say that making our first cup final in 23 years was going backwards. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It was more like 10 months starting in late July 2023. Can’t say that making our first cup final in 23 years was going backwards. 

I hear you about NL Finals, but the team didn't look sharp vs Panama despite the 2-0 win in the SF and were really outclassed vs the US in the finals. Didn't look like the same team from WCQ, the Belgium or even Morocco games. To me the downturn started after the WC.

23 hours ago, Kadenge said:

It was always going to drop off after the WC. An NHL team doesn't get the same viewership for regular season games 1-82 as it did for anything in the playoffs. Casuals for sports drift in and out. I think the Copa results (both participation and the run) demonstrated that interest in the team is still there.

On 9/18/2024 at 4:43 PM, lamptern said:

I would hope so as well.

However, the sad reality is that we are about to host World Cup in a work shed with 3 walls.

Really need both Montreal and Toronto to redevelop their stadiums to a higher level.  Vancouver too, but it won't be hosting as many games ( even tho they should be ).

10 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Interesting that it wasn't all WC venues chosen. Orlando isn't even a host city.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/sep/20/club-world-cup-host-cities-venues-fifa-tournament

Orlando is making a big sports push. Orlando is pushing for men's and women's Rugby World Cups in 2031/2033, and rumours of a Florida Olympic bid in the 2040s. It has a new airport terminal, rail link to Miami, and enough hotel rooms to house entire countries. Easy host location for just about anything.

Edited by Mihairokov

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Interesting that it wasn't all WC venues chosen. Orlando isn't even a host city.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/sep/20/club-world-cup-host-cities-venues-fifa-tournament

I thought they had originally said that the CWC would be on the US East Coast and the Gold Cup would be on the US West Coast so they wouldn't compete with each other?? But now Seattle and Pasadena are venues for the Club World Cup???

1 hour ago, masster said:

I thought they had originally said that the CWC would be on the US East Coast and the Gold Cup would be on the US West Coast so they wouldn't compete with each other?? But now Seattle and Pasadena are venues for the Club World Cup???

I'm not sure that was ever confirmed or just rumoured.

On 9/18/2024 at 5:35 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

That would make too much sense. We need it to be temporary so it can be a complete waste of money. 

This stadium, as is, already attracts the best of what Canadian men's football has to offer.  For whatever reasons, good and bad.

Sooo....

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Are they constructing temp stands in the south vs North(more balance and closed stadium on 4 sides) because of the Argos for 1 season or lack of space btw stadium &  Food centre? Would think there's enough space.

Flipping through the rendering it looks like they are adding seats at both the north and south ends.

https://www.bmofield.com/events/fifa26?fbclid=IwAR0tdvDpVt-1ecQTZIqFm8MctRAdlvyB51PBRJwnH-_9b3wnAYN5BaLlz3U

Edited by narduch

On 9/18/2024 at 6:41 PM, Kadenge said:

I think Soccer is doing well in Canada attendance-wise.  And has been for about 10-15 years now.   When you consider that you can still get over 20K to see club matches in Van and Tor that is pretty darn good.  And for international matches, if you can get 10-15K for for an international match against a country like Panama (or any other Central American country) that's also pretty darn good.  Moreso given that its not an official match.   Nations league has not been around for long so it's not a competition with a strong name/brand recognition.     

PS.:  I follow and have been to international basketball matches in Canada.  Compared to a sport like international Basketball,  I would say the the following and traction for soccer is stronger.  

Edited by Free kick