2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

7 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

No thanks to North Van. Its impossible to get on and off the North Shore and you want people to have access. I think Bear Creek Park and Willoughby are more likely 

Average day, it is 15 minutes from Interriver to downtown - it is 2 mins from the 2nd Narrows and bypasses all the traffic coming down the cut. On a crap day it is 30. Willoughby / Bear Creek are 35 mins on a good day and over an hour on a busy day. No way they go to Surrey / Langley. 

But then again for 2026 knowing fans from all 48 teams if their teams are playing at BC Place in Vancouver or at BMO Field in Toronto, how can we be sure they won't try to rush past security to get in to the stadiums or find some type of way to sneak in? Like what happened at Copa just a few days ago in Miami...that was crazy in of that of itself 

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

I remain quite confident that affordability wont be an issue like it was for Copa.    Unless they change for 2026,  FIFA will/should have complete control over the tickets management, ticket distribution and redistribution.   And that will be a big positive.   From my experience,  this will become the one thing that we can all applaud FIFA for.  Bet you never thought that it was possible to ever say something positive about FIFA :) .   But this is one thing that they do well.

When you bought your ticket for 2022,  it was stored and visible on you account.  You could not transfer it to another person but you could only send it back to the resale market and receive only the price that you paid for it.   The tickets were accessed through a phone app and became active only when you approached the stadium and within something like 1-2 hour before kick off.  So as you approached the stadium (within a specific distance), you could see a mesg stating that you ticket for the game was now active.   Basically,  this means no Ticketmaster and hence no ticket scalping was NOT possible.   Also, the most expensive ticket was $200.  When you think about it,  that's pretty damn good!

The way I see it,  the problem for 2026 will be one of supply and demand.  You have a stadium in Toronto that seats only 45K for the WC and you have a population (within 5-7 hours driving range) of perhaps as much as 50 million people.  so that supply (45k) is way too low for that potential market and potential demand.  For that you would need something like an 70K seat stadium.  

From the bid evaluation book: image.png.4938851ddd960df9d50c7d90d35d4e1d.png

FIFA made close US$1b in revenues from hospitality and ticket revenues in Qatar. Granted there will be more matches in 2026, FIFA is projecting over $3b in revenues for hospitality and ticket sales.

In the North American bid book from 2017, they had projected ticket prices even though it is up to FIFA to decide. Add in 7 years of inflation, FIFA's projected revenues & almost 50k average attendance for Copa, it will be higher.

ee7ad250-c3ce-11ee-b987-cdb9a8c2f6c6.webp.jpg

22 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think there will be 6 teams based in Vancouver (correct if wrong) they all need their own facility. This will be fascinating to see where the will be. I think i read it needs 1 grass 1 turf. I'm saying

UBC

Killarney park

Burnaby Lake

Gates Park

?

?

I think you are confused. No chance 6 teams will be making Vancouver their home base.

The article posted above was regarding practice pitches for teams with matches in Vancouver.

Practice pitches and home base are 2 different things.

If I remember correctly, each team playing in a city needs a practice pitch within a certain amount of km from the stadium.

Home bases could be anywhere. Of the 48 countries in the tournament, there is no way that 6 of them choose to have their home base in Vancouver.

Here is the list of the home bases that countries chose for Euro 2024. As you will notice, most of them are not even in cities where matches were played.

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/news/028a-1a157427e61a-b0fd19431c40-1000--uefa-euro-2024-where-will-the-teams-be-based/

@Watchmen...home bases is where other municipalities could step up if they wanted. 

On 7/16/2024 at 9:25 PM, TGAA_Star said:

But then again for 2026 knowing fans from all 48 teams if their teams are playing at BC Place in Vancouver or at BMO Field in Toronto, how can we be sure they won't try to rush past security to get in to the stadiums or find some type of way to sneak in? Like what happened at Copa just a few days ago in Miami...that was crazy in of that of itself 

Experience clearly shows us that it is Big-Time finals matches that bear this craziness, and it makes sense for many reasons.  You need a lot of fans to show up somewhere AND then many of them choose to flaunt the rules AND for it to be pretty important to make it worthwhile.  Why bother for a group match...you can watch it for ok $$.  So you won't find enough co-conspirators to make it worthwhile.  But buying tickets for a final is much rarer.

Plus, lack of crowds to to get in lends itself to normal ticketing procedures carrying the day.

I think reasonable ticketing approaches take care of most, if not all, of the problem.  If not...well, then no event is safe, anywhere.  

5 hours ago, eramosat said:

Experience clearly shows us that it is Big-Time finals matches that bear this craziness, and it makes sense for many reasons.  You need a lot of fans to show up somewhere AND then many of them choose to flaunt the rules AND for it to be pretty important to make it worthwhile.  Why bother for a group match...you can watch it for ok $$.  So you won't find enough co-conspirators to make it worthwhile.  But buying tickets for a final is much rarer.

Plus, lack of crowds to to get in lends itself to normal ticketing procedures carrying the day.

I think reasonable ticketing approaches take care of most, if not all, of the problem.  If not...well, then no event is safe, anywhere.  

Exactly but you know as well as I do that even group matches at BC Place or BMO Field during 26 will cost a fortune because how often is it that we get a World Cup in our backyard 

Shifting away from their long term hospitality provider Match, FIFA has selected On Location as the hospitality provider for 2026. On Location is the hospitality provider for Paris. Milan & Los Angeles Olympics, Super Bowls, NCAA Final 4, Ryder Cup & Coachella. On Location is part of Endeavour who own WWE/UFC but was originally launched by the NFL.

MLS/SUM will get to dip their hands into the World Cup money pie as On Location has selected them as sales agents in US & Canada.  Packages will be the first way to buy match tickets as they'll be available by year-end. They're forecasting 1m tickets to be sold via these packages. FIFA estimates about 20-30% of the over US$3b projected ticket revenue will be via hospitality packages. 

In Qatar, the hospitality packages ranged from $950 to $2.6m for a 40 person suite at Lusail. Sales were projected to be $500m. FIFA netted $243m just from selling the rights. Top buyers that were mix of individuals/coporates were from Mexico & USA. In contrast, hospitality packages for WWC AUS/NZL only produced $1.3m.

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/soccer/2024/fifa-world-cup-2026-on-location-hospitality-provider-1234789928/

Edited by red card

On 7/19/2024 at 12:52 PM, red card said:

Shifting away from their long term hospitality provider Match, FIFA has selected On Location as the hospitality provider for 2026. On Location is the hospitality provider for Paris. Milan & Los Angeles Olympics, Super Bowls, NCAA Final 4, Ryder Cup & Coachella. On Location is part of Endeavour who own WWE/UFC but was originally launched by the NFL.

MLS/SUM will get to dip their hands into the World Cup money pie as On Location has selected them as sales agents in US & Canada.  Packages will be the first way to buy match tickets as they'll be available by year-end. They're forecasting 1m tickets to be sold via these packages. FIFA estimates about 20-30% of the over US$3b projected ticket revenue will be via hospitality packages. 

In Qatar, the hospitality packages ranged from $950 to $2.6m for a 40 person suite at Lusail. Sales were projected to be $500m. FIFA netted $243m just from selling the rights. Top buyers that were mix of individuals/coporates were from Mexico & USA. In contrast, hospitality packages for WWC AUS/NZL only produced $1.3m.

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/soccer/2024/fifa-world-cup-2026-on-location-hospitality-provider-1234789928/

But then how about for locals who live in the country? So what if you're a local and you happen to live in Vancouver or live in Toronto and you want a package like this, I wonder then if it ends up being more expensive or more cheaper if you are a local for 2026?

3 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

A good start would be installing the new grass a lot earlier than 2 days before the first game.🤨

I just don't think they can make it work without proper drainage, sunlight and regular care that a real grass field gets.

I hope I'm wrong

On 7/25/2024 at 6:20 AM, narduch said:

I just don't think they can make it work without proper drainage, sunlight and regular care that a real grass field gets.

I hope I'm wrong

Fifa will have them do it about 4-6 weeks in advance, I think the BC Lions and the Whitecaps have to clear out for a long period to let them. And then, they'll do friendly matches on them to test them. 

Thankfully, FIFA will get it right and we'll just tag along at BC Place.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/27/2024 at 6:22 PM, Kadenge said:

How did BMO field fair after the massive rain storm we had in TO about 10 days ago? 

I have heard nothing about BMO field.  But several areas in downtown were severely impacted.  Like Union station.

PS.:  I believe that the Argos have played a home game at BMO recently.  Didn't hear of any issues

Edited by Free kick

USMNT reportedly hiring Mauricio Pochettino as next head coach ahead of 2026 World Cup (msn.com)

Quote: "U.S. Soccer is set to hire Mauricio Pochettino as the next head coach of the U.S. men’s national team, according to multiple reports late Wednesday and early Thursday.

Pochettino, who departed Chelsea earlier this summer, would succeed Gregg Berhalter, who was fired last month after an earlier-than-expected Copa América exit."

Real Madrid veteran superstar dreams of playing in the 2026 FIFA World Cup – report - Yahoo Sports

quote: "In a few weeks, Real Madrid captain Luka Modric will turn 39 years old and then go on to become the oldest footballer to have played for the Spanish capital club, beating past Ferenc Puskas’ record.

Despite being at an age when most footballers have already retired, Modric continues to go strong, playing at one of the biggest clubs in the world week in and week out while also representing the Croatian national team.

No plans of slowing down
Following the culmination of the UEFA Euro 2024 this summer, there were murmurs about Luka Modric stepping down from national team duty with Croatia and retiring.

However, according to AS, the Real Madrid captain has no plans of slowing down as far as international commitments are concerned"

Need a U.S. visa? You better have at least 677 days, some World Cup fans are learning | Connecticut Public (ctpublic.org)

This is an issue that could rear its ugly head for 2026.  Especially given that we are dealing with three different countries,  3 different governments.   Three different host.   And a likely need for visitors to be able to cross borders to follow their national team's games.

Edited by Free kick

On 7/16/2024 at 12:56 PM, Watchmen said:

I was past both parks on a bike ride about 3 weeks ago and didn't connect with this article. Memorial South especially is one a lot of Vancouverites don't know well. I didn't. Has a nice cricket oval with a short track around it, maybe a 300 m track and the pitch would be slightly shorter. They have field turf facilities as well, baseball. A lovely park.

They say they'll need to close parts of it for 18 months, which has led to neighbourhood protests. But to me that suggests some really positive improvements, of certain quality, even if imposed by the province and city over the heads of the parks board.

On 8/27/2024 at 4:55 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was past both parks on a bike ride about 3 weeks ago and didn't connect with this article. Memorial South especially is one a lot of Vancouverites don't know well. I didn't. Has a nice cricket oval with a short track around it, maybe a 300 m track and the pitch would be slightly shorter. They have field turf facilities as well, baseball. A lovely park.

They say they'll need to close parts of it for 18 months, which has led to neighbourhood protests. But to me that suggests some really positive improvements, of certain quality, even if imposed by the province and city over the heads of the parks board.

Both of these parks used to be venues for the annual KDS (Sikh Temple) sports tournament. I played at both as a kid during those tournaments. With the massive shift of the local Punjabi population from South Van to Surrey over the past 30 years, I don't believe that the tournament is still a thing. It may have been replaced/superseded by something hosted by one of the many Fraser Valley temples.

2026 projected line up has some crazy twists with our new depth. 

Crépeau st clairswirdeski 

aj Laryrea

bombito JKL miller 

cornelius LDF

davies Adekugbe

sigur staq

Kone choinierie

oso 

Buchanan shaf 

millar ali corbeanu 

David Larin jebbison bair 

we can argue how well youngsters will develop or who’s worthy of a spot but the above leaves off koleosho…. Afrifra, Tani, waterman, piette, saliba, Nelson, brym, promise, jrr, ugbo, McGill, Gavran, combria, sirios, Lopez, jmr, Kennedy, hiebert, holliet, paton, Edward’s, zbg, zator, Mcnaughton.  All of whom have been with or called for to be part of cmnt (combria excluded but I’m excited he’s on the bench in eredivisie).  

I can’t stop being amazed by how much higher our floor climber from 2018-2022 and again from 2022-2026.