2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

36 minutes ago, narduch said:

If you want to play Brazil or Argentina type teams you do.

Its not worth building a massive stadium to play friendlies against brazil and argentina once every couple of years. 

also look at the states. They dont even use large stadiums for their marquee friendlies (save vs mexico).  

11k vs serbia at the home of lafc

27k vs colombia at the home of la galaxy

37k vs germany at unconns 38k seat stadium

19k vs uruguay at skc home stadium

im just not seeing the use case  

Edited by king1010

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

Its not worth building a massive stadium to play friendlies against brazil and argentina once every couple of years. 

also look at the states. They dont even use large stadiums for their marquee friendlies (save vs mexico).  

11k vs serbia at the home of lafc

27k vs colombia at the home of la galaxy

37k vs germany at unconns 38k seat stadium

im just not seeing the use case  

I'm thinking more for TFC too.

Why can't they aim to be an Atlanta or Seattle?

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

I'm thinking more for TFC too.

Why can't they aim to be an Atlanta or Seattle?

To play in nfl stadiums at 50 and 60% capacity on artificial turf? 

the reason those teams have stadiums of those size is because of nfl owners/ teams in the city, not because of the Mls team. If they didnt have those relationships theyd have 30k, maybe 35k soccer specific stadiums in line with BMO. 

Edited by king1010

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

lol come on

https://worldsoccertalk.com/amp/news/seattle-sounders-explore-idea-of-new-stadium-in-suburbs-20230925-WST-458451.html

The average capacity of the 22 soccer-specific stadiums is 22,140

Yet, Sounders supporters could look at GEODIS Park as inspiration, which has a capacity of 30,000 Nashville SC fans

Sounders Eye Leaving Lumen Field For Soccer-Specific Stadium

https://frontofficesports.com/sounders-eye-leaving-lumen-field-for-soccer-specific-stadium/

Edited by king1010

BMO Field has been called Exhibition Stadium during the Pan Am Games (when it was a rugby venue) and the National Soccer Stadium during both the 2007 U-20 WC and the 2014 U-20 WWC.

Why does FIFA need to come up with another name now?

3 minutes ago, king1010 said:

https://worldsoccertalk.com/amp/news/seattle-sounders-explore-idea-of-new-stadium-in-suburbs-20230925-WST-458451.html

The average capacity of the 22 soccer-specific stadiums is 22,140

Yet, Sounders supporters could look at GEODIS Park as inspiration, which has a capacity of 30,000 Nashville SC fans

Sounders Eye Leaving Lumen Field For Soccer-Specific Stadium

https://frontofficesports.com/sounders-eye-leaving-lumen-field-for-soccer-specific-stadium/

This actually reminds me that another bad thing about Canada's World Cup bid is that we could have had a nice real soccer specific stadium for the Vancouver.

With them having to move a Champions Cup game to Starlight it really hammers home that they should try again to build their own stadium.

2 minutes ago, RS said:

BMO Field has been called Exhibition Stadium during the Pan Am Games (when it was a rugby venue) and the National Soccer Stadium during both the 2007 U-20 WC and the 2014 U-20 WWC.

Why does FIFA need to come up with another name now?

It looks like the naming scheme they decided on was CityName+Stadium.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

It looks like the naming scheme they decided on was CityName+Stadium.

I noticed that. Only BC Place and Estadio Azteca got to keep their names intact (with Vancouver and CDMX tacked on at the end, respectively).

Even KC’s Arrowhead Stadium, which doesn’t even have a corporate name, got the same boring treatment.

Not to mention that a bunch of places like “Boston” and “Dallas” aren’t even those actual cities.

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

Do they though? 

canada rarely tops 20,000 in Toronto, TFC has averaged 25k the last few years. A 29K seat stadium seems more than adequate. 

We need a stadium for big Canada games, big international games, big TFC games , later round playing games , MLS Cup if they host again one day and so in . Will they need a 45000 stadium for every game no, but when we need it we don’t have it in Toronto.

15 hours ago, SoccMan said:

On footy prime the podcast James Sharman hinted that there might be a bit of a surprise tomorrow in the 2026 World Cup FIFA schedule show regarding maybe more World Cup games in Canada than expected.

That's not a really a surprise.   The original plan calls for 10 games for Canada when the world cup was supposed to be 80 games in total.   Now that its 104 games, it shouldn't be a surprise that it turns out to be 16 games.  or something like that 

23 minutes ago, narduch said:

FIFA usually goes at least 4-5 days between using a stadium. To help protect the grass.

I guess that won't be the case here.

That should not be a problem.  I dont recall the rationale but i looked this up about a year ago and crunched the numbers and found that it was doable even with 8 games in a city

7 minutes ago, Free kick said:

That should not be a problem.  I dont recall the rationale but i looked this up about a year ago and crunched the numbers and found that it was doable even with 8 games in a city

I think its only doable if we get additional knock out games

2 hours ago, narduch said:

This actually reminds me that another bad thing about Canada's World Cup bid is that we could have had a nice real soccer specific stadium for the Vancouver.

With them having to move a Champions Cup game to Starlight it really hammers home that they should try again to build their own stadium.

If they build their own stadium, it would be in the 20-25k range. It would not have been suitable to host World Cup games.

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think it's stadium size that's holding Canada back from playing Brazil or Argentina.

Are you sure about that?

Larger stadium helps you cover the massive appearance fee.

We were rumoured to play Argentina a year or so ago already. We don't have a stadium for that. Assuming they assist in a grass field.

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

If they build their own stadium, it would be in the 20-25k range. It would not have been suitable to host World Cup games.

Build it 40-45 but permanently 30k.

Again it's sad we will host a World Cup but have no lasting infrastructure. I'm not counting a few training fields

Edited by narduch

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

Are you sure about that?

Larger stadium helps you cover the massive appearance fee.

We were rumoured to play Argentina a year or so ago already. We don't have a stadium for that. Assuming they assist in a grass field.

Yes. I don't think the turf matters to the federation, so long as they get their money.

12 minutes ago, narduch said:

Build it 40-45 but permanently 30k.

Again it's sad we will host a World Cup but have no lasting infrastructure. I'm not counting a few training fields

We're hosting specifically because we don't have to build any permanent stadiums. If we did, I don't think we'd be hosting at all. I don't think any of the cities would have stepped forward to do that.