2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

3 hours ago, RS said:

Has someone told her that it's five fucking soccer games?

OR, has someone told her that if we were to walk away from WC 26 and scrap everything right now,  it wouldn't mean more money for  Housing and healthcare.    And, that It just means that that money will get spend elsewhere.

I agree.  I hate those kind of arguments.    Its like telling someone "well if you don't spend that money on that coffee then you could have a nicer home".   

Edited by Free kick

Bottom line is, Ontario has never hosted an Olympics, or a men's world cup, and Ottawa is the only city in Ontario to host a women's World Cup. And despite this lack of Olympics and World Cup spending, we still have housing and health care problems.

Any individuals that spend money on entertainment, or luxury items, etc, could have conceivably given that money to homeless people instead, or donated to hospitals, etc. But you don't wait until all problems are solved before you can have some fun. That's my thinking anyways, but maybe I'm a jerk. I don't have the solutions to these big problems, but I doubt avoiding hosting the World Cup would get us any closer to solving them.

And it is a shame that there isn't more lasting infrastructure coming out of this hosting. I wonder how much money has been made because of BMO field? Probably more than was originally projected, since there has been 17 years worth of jobs related to games being held there, plus construction jobs to expand and renovate it. Lots of long term benefit can be had when doing these events properly, provided it's infrastructure that is useful to the area.

2 hours ago, red card said:

90%+ of the comments to the tweet are negative at this point:

Isnt 90% of the social media negative, uninformed and basically a waste of time???  Especially reddit...I'm sure if you said you loved puppies you'd get 100 responses, 90 of which would be anti puppy or pro cat.  

Edited by Bison44

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Bottom line is, Ontario has never hosted an Olympics, or a men's world cup, and Ottawa is the only city in Ontario to host a women's World Cup. And despite this lack of Olympics and World Cup spending, we still have housing and health care problems.

Any individuals that spend money on entertainment, or luxury items, etc, could have conceivably given that money to homeless people instead, or donated to hospitals, etc. But you don't wait until all problems are solved before you can have some fun. That's my thinking anyways, but maybe I'm a jerk. I don't have the solutions to these big problems, but I doubt avoiding hosting the World Cup would get us any closer to solving them.

And it is a shame that there isn't more lasting infrastructure coming out of this hosting. I wonder how much money has been made because of BMO field? Probably more than was originally projected, since there has been 17 years worth of jobs related to games being held there, plus construction jobs to expand and renovate it. Lots of long term benefit can be had when doing these events properly, provided it's infrastructure that is useful to the area.

Yes, Toronto has never hosted an Olympics nor a World's fair.  Nor the women's world cup.  Other cities in Canada have hosted Olympics (three different cities) and world Fairs (two different cities) and the women's world cup.   Then there are several other high profile world championships in high profile events (e.g.: IIAF, FINA) that have been hosted in other cities in Canada.  And the tax payer (including the Ontario tax payer) has contributed to paying for those events.

When it comes to international events that have any kind of global exposure,  Toronto has hosted nothing else..   In that respect its behind Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary,  Edmonton and any other city in Canada that has played host to events from FIFA, FINA, IIAF etc..... The FIBA world cup in 1994 was hosted in Toronto but that was really all the doing of the Raptor and the NBA.....  There was no public dollars for that that I am aware of.   The Raptors where the new expansion club in the NBA so getting The FIBA worlds was kind important for the Raptors,  the NBA and FIBA in order to wet people basketball appetites.  There was no infrastructure improvements or requirements for that from what I could tell.  Unlike those other events that I talked about, there was no infrastructure legacy from the FIBA's.

Edited by Free kick

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

What does the government have to do with housing?

Maybe the answer is they have a little less to do with Healthcare like every other sane country on earth 

Honestly people have become so stupid in this country that I'm just counting down the days that I can just get the kids off to university and get the hell out of this miserable country 

Where are you going to move to?

12 hours ago, Free kick said:

Yes, Toronto has never hosted an Olympics nor a World's fair.  Nor the women's world cup.  Other cities in Canada have hosted Olympics (three different cities) and world Fairs (two different cities) and the women's world cup.   Then there are several other high profile world championships in high profile events (e.g.: IIAF, FINA) that have been hosted in other cities in Canada.  And the tax payer (including the Ontario tax payer) has contributed to paying for those events.

When it comes to international events that have any kind of global exposure,  Toronto has hosted nothing else..   In that respect its behind Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary,  Edmonton and any other city in Canada that has played host to events from FIFA, FINA, IIAF etc..... The FIBA world cup in 1994 was hosted in Toronto but that was really all the doing of the Raptor and the NBA.....  There was no public dollars for that that I am aware of.   The Raptors where the new expansion club in the NBA so getting The FIBA worlds was kind important for the Raptors,  the NBA and FIBA in order to wet people basketball appetites.  There was no infrastructure improvements or requirements for that from what I could tell.  Unlike those other events that I talked about, there was no infrastructure legacy from the FIBA's.

You get the 2024 Candidates Tournament, to choose the challenger for the chess world championship., so stop bitching already. 

These Torontonians don't appreciate what they have and are looking over the fence at their friendly Canadian neighbours. 

I think George Chuvalo was from Toronto too.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You get the 2024 Candidates Tournament, to choose the challenger for the chess world championship., so stop bitching already. 

These Torontonians don't appreciate what they have and are looking over the fence at their friendly Canadian neighbours. 

I think George Chuvalo was from Toronto too.

And not even a mention of Wrestlemania 6 and 18.

People can be disappointed but permanent upgrades to BMO field that managed to coincide with FIFA requirements would not have been politically palatable or worthwhile.

You'd be talking about amounts like $100 million more in public spending for capacity increases that would rarely be necessary. Other useful improvements like safe standing modifications aren't needed by FIFA and MLSE ought to take those on.

The costs for hosting a few games are enormous as we see and Toronto's involvement only could have happened without inflating them with unnecessary spending.

16 minutes ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

People can be disappointed but permanent upgrades to BMO field that managed to coincide with FIFA requirements would not have been politically palatable or worthwhile.

You'd be talking about amounts like $100 million more in public spending for capacity increases that would rarely be necessary. Other useful improvements like safe standing modifications aren't needed by FIFA and MLSE ought to take those on.

The costs for hosting a few games are enormous as we see and Toronto's involvement only could have happened without inflating them with unnecessary spending.

Not sure what you are talking about.

I read it would only take a couple of million more to make the expansion permanent. Not $100 million.

They aren't making the expansion permanent because TFC (and to a lesser extent CSA) don't think they need a stadium bigger than 30k.

Which is a shame because in my opinion if TFC was better run they definitely could make use of a 45k stadium. But that's a totally different discussion really.

Edited by narduch

59 minutes ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

Toronto needs a bigger non baseball stadium and bringing BMO to 45000 seats would have been perfect . What better time for it with the hosting of World Cup matches in 2026, but this being Toronto the continuation of half ass projects continues in this supposedly world class city .

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Not sure what you are talking about.

I read it would only take a couple of million more to make the expansion permanent. Not $100 million.

They aren't making the expansion permanent because TFC (and to a lesser extent CSA) don't think they need a stadium bigger than 30k.

Which is a shame because in my opinion if TFC was better run they definitely could make use of a 45k stadium. But that's a totally different discussion really.

I'd be happy to read that information if you can find it again.

16 minutes ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

I'd be happy to read that information if you can find it again.

I will try to hunt an old article down. This is 18 month old info now.

It would only cost an extra 2-3% to make it permanent 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Looks like BMO Field will be named Toronto Stadium for the World Cup. 

They couldn't name it Dwayne DeRosario Stadium for the tournament, like how BC Place was named Christine Sinclair stadium for her final game? That would sound better, or pick some other CMNT former player.

6 hours ago, SoccMan said:

On footy prime the podcast James Sharman hinted that there might be a bit of a surprise tomorrow in the 2026 World Cup FIFA schedule show regarding maybe more World Cup games in Canada than expected.

That would make some sense, since they expanded the number of games after the original bid.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

They couldn't name it Dwayne DeRosario Stadium for the tournament, like how BC Place was named Christine Sinclair stadium for her final game? That would sound better, or pick some other CMNT former player.

Could have been worse. At least it wasn't called Toronto Rectangular Stadium.

10 hours ago, Colonel Green said:

What for?

For larger National team games.

And TFC. Especially TFC.

I thought with the addition of Messi that MLS teams were going to be more ambitious. But that's not the case with TFC at all

22 minutes ago, narduch said:

For larger National team games.

And TFC. Especially TFC.

I thought with the addition of Messi that MLS teams were going to be more ambitious. But that's not the case with TFC at all

Do they though? 

canada rarely tops 20,000 in Toronto, TFC has averaged 25k the last few years. A 29K seat stadium seems more than adequate.