2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

Rose Bowl to Shrink for World Cup
RANDY HARVEY TIMES STAFF WRITER APRIL 19, 1993

In order to transform the Rose Bowl into a more soccer-friendly stadium, seating capacity for the 1994 World Cup will be reduced by as much as 10,000, organizing committee officials said Sunday.

Although some of those seats will be devoted to media and VIPs, an undetermined number will be removed to widen the field to meet specifications of the international soccer federation (FIFA).

Because that project is scheduled to be completed by Aug. 15, David Jacobs, Rose Bowl general manager, said seating capacity for UCLA’s 1993 football season and the 1994 Rose Bowl game also will be affected.

But he said that the seating capacity will return to its present 102,083 after the last of eight World Cup games, including the final, scheduled for the Rose Bowl between June 18 and July 17, 1994.

With the guarantee that the field will be widened, FIFA officials who inspected the Rose Bowl on the first day of a five-city U.S. tour said they were satisfied with the $11.5-million stadium renovation that was completed before the last football season at the city of Pasadena’s expense.

Before Sunday, FIFA President Joao Havelange of Brazil had not seen the Rose Bowl since the soccer final of the 1984 Summer Olympics. But one of his traveling companions, FIFA Vice President Guillermo Canedo of Mexico, expressed his approval as a spectator during the last Super Bowl.

“This visit, in a sense, was a formality,” said Alan Rothenberg, chairman of the organizing committee.

Of the other four stadiums on this tour, only RFK at Washington is as prepared as the Rose Bowl. Refurbishing of the Citrus Bowl at Orlando, Fla., began recently, but officials for Stanford Stadium at Palo Alto and Foxboro Stadium at Foxboro, Mass., are still in the planning stages. FIFA inspected the other five venues on a previous tour.

40 minutes ago, gator said:

I am on page 5 right now.   First thing i noted thats really new here is the point that a final desision is to be announced by FIFA in May 2022.  All indications prior to this was that the final decsions on the host coties would be made early in April 2022.  So i wonder if this the decision on all the venues?  Or just the canadian venues. 

also of note, it states:  “…. Up to 10 different countries would compete in Toronto, including Canada, which automatically qualifies as a host country. There would also likely be pre-competition matches involving several countries…..”

Edited by Free kick

Timelines listed in that report:

Estimated Timeline
• Council authority to accept FIFA's selection of Toronto as a Host City - April 2022 • FIFA announcement - May 2022
• Return to Council with details on government funding arrangements, planning and
governance - June 2022
• Establishment of a FIFA Local Entity
• Establishment of a City of Toronto internal secretariat, working groups, and
community advisory groups
• Development of Multi Party Agreement between all three orders of government and
CSA
• Further FIFA negotiations
• Provide update to Council through the 2023 budget process
• Finalize a National Safety and Security Plan
• Sign Multi-Party Agreement
• Receive written funding commitments from Province and Federal governments if
needed separate from MPA
• Provide update to Council through the 2024 budget process
• Capital construction at Stadium commences
• Provide update to Council through the 2025 budget process
• Capital construction at Training Sites and BMO Field commences
• Temporary seating expansion installation commences at Stadium (impacts on
Exhibition Place service capacity until post-World Cup)
• Provide update to Council through the 2026 budget process
• Event execution • Project close out
Toronto's Participation in the FIFA World Cup 2026
P

How it should be as far as venues or what I would do for the 2026 FIFA World Cup:

(Canada venues)

- BMO Field (Toronto, Ontario)

- Commonwealth Stadium (Edmonton, Alberta)

(Mexico venues)

- Estadio Azteca (Mexico City, Mexico)

- Estadio BBVA Bancomer (Monterrey, Mexico)

- Estadio Akron (Guadalajara, Mexico)

USA venues (10 cities)

1- MetLife Stadium (New York/New Jersey)

2- Hard Rock Stadium (Miami)

3- Cowboys Stadium (Arlington, Texas)

4- SoFi Stadium (Los Angeles)

5- Foxboro/Patriots Stadium (Boston)

6- Arrowhead (Kansas City)

7- Mercedes Benz Stadium (Atlanta)

8- Mile High Stadium (Denver)

9- FedEx Field (Washington DC...capital)

10- Lumen Field (Seattle)

16 minutes ago, Vasi said:

It also states that "temporary stands" will be installed. I would have loved to see a permanent expansion to 40k. But I understand it would cost more. 

Im afraid this will look like a Frankenstein stadium.

There is also ref to capital construction at BMO field in 2024 & 2025, so perhaps it's a combo? A CP24 article mentioned the city would be spending over $60M on capital improvements to BMO field. 

On 4/6/2022 at 5:28 PM, Vasi said:

It also states that "temporary stands" will be installed. I would have loved to see a permanent expansion to 40k. But I understand it would cost more. 

Im afraid this will look like a Frankenstein stadium.

Its was announced during the FIFA visit that it would be temporary stands.  But yes,  i agree, the news that it will be temporary stands rather than a real upgrade was disappointing,

Edited by Free kick

On 4/1/2022 at 5:47 AM, mrstepp817 said:

There's no doubt BMO will host, it'll cost the least to get the stadium up to par...I didnt realize the washrooms were an issue, but it makes sense sense the stadium was built to seat 25k...when they expanded the stadium originally did they add washrooms at all???

My first visit to BMO was the Jamaica game. I can attest the washrooms are severely lacking. The line at the half had to be 100 meters long. 

I was actually surprised how utilitarian and bare bones BMO is. Reminded me of old Winnipeg Stadium. Looks ok on tv at least. 

14 hours ago, Free kick said:

Its was announced during the FIFA visit that it would be temporary stands.  But yes,  i agree, the news that it will be temporary stands rather than a real upgrade was disappointing,

I don't think it has been stated that there will be no permanent new seating upgrades. The language has been fairly ambiguous. I am sure it depends on how much funding they can get. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a mix of some new permanent seating increases along with temporary stands to meet the FIFA minimums.

If they miss out on this chance to increase the size of the stadium that will be a huge disappointment.

10 hours ago, trueviking said:

My first visit to BMO was the Jamaica game. I can attest the washrooms are severely lacking. The line at the half had to be 100 meters long. 

I was actually surprised how utilitarian and bare bones BMO is. Reminded me of old Winnipeg Stadium. Looks ok on tv at least. 

100% it's a glorified college stadium. Remember they built BMO on a whim, with the expectation that it would NOT be as successful as it was. Or else they would've invested more money on the infrastructure. 

I've been to Saputo, Tim Hortons, Commonwealth, TD Place, and BC Place! All but BC place give me a low-budget vibe. 
It's just BMO pitch is the best in the country. 

With the temporary upgrades that will be done to BMO....it's not going to be a good representation of our country. Especially as the "marquee" stadium. 

Edited by Shway

17 minutes ago, Shway said:

100% it's a glorified college stadium. Remember they built BMO on a whim, with the expectation that it would be as successful as it was. Or else they would've invested more money on the infrastructure. 

I've been to Saputo, Tim Hortons, Commonwealth, TD Place, and BC Place! All but BC place give me a low-budget vibe. 
It's just BMO pitch is the best in the country. 

With the temporary upgrades that will be done to BMO....it's not going to be a good representation of our country. Especially as the "marquee" stadium. 

Thats the thing, BMO is supposed to be Canada's marquee stadium...this is the perfect chance to really put something into it and make it functionally and aesthically pleasing

It makes sense TFC don't want to expand the stadium. They can barely get 21k now.

I'm actually surprised they retain so many season ticket holders considering the secondary market is dead.

Abd while we are complaining about the current situation at BMO Field: the middle concourse on the East side is too packed at half time. It's borderline dangerous 

27 minutes ago, narduch said:

It makes sense TFC don't want to expand the stadium. They can barely get 21k now.

I'm actually surprised they retain so many season ticket holders considering the secondary market is dead.

Abd while we are complaining about the current situation at BMO Field: the middle concourse on the East side is too packed at half time. It's borderline dangerous 

Lets not get crazy...2014-2019 its been between 22-27k.  If the team is halfway decent they should draw 21-25k.  

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Lets not get crazy...2014-2019 its been between 22-27k.  If the team is halfway decent they should draw 21-25k.  

I'm not disagreeing with your point.

I just think there is no impetus for TFC to expand the stadium based on current demand.

7 hours ago, narduch said:

Yea because they are charging stupid prices for seasons. 
One championship season and they doubled the prices. 

I remember having 2 seasons seats for $950 in section 121. The year before they won.
They called me this year with the hoopla of Insigne and was offering me section 221 for $1260 a seat or something stupid. 

I get there's inflation, but yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa no thanks. 

The girl goes, you can even sell the tickets that you don't want to go for at a higher price and make your money back. 
Encouraging scalping ffs. 

Edited by Shway
A. SEAT...forgot the most important thing.

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yea because they are charging stupid prices for seasons. 
One championship season and they doubled the prices. 

I remember having 2 seasons seats for $950 in section 121. The year before they won.
They called me this year with the hoopla of Insigne and was offering me section 221 for $1260 or something stupid. 

I get there's inflation, but yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa no thanks. 

The girl goes, you can even sell the tickets that you don't want to go for at a higher price and make your money back. 
Encouraging scalping ffs. 

The thing is you actually can't sell your tickets for more than you paid anymore. Maybe that will change in July.

I keep my south end seasons because they are still affordable. 

Been trying to get a 2nd pair in an area where we can sit if we feel like it and it is just too cost prohibitive.

There is some talk on line that next week the final decision will be made on the host cities for Canada. In other words one last chance for Vancouver to get back involved 

As I've stated before. In a country that is in such desperate need of stadiums I have no idea how you can let a world cup come and go and not use it as an opportunity to build at least 1 stadium. It's just mind blowing to me

Twitter thread from BC Legislative Reporter:

Vancouver likely to be back in the running for a spot - should find out in the next week.
10 games in Canada. All three potential host cities want 4-5 games. Math does not work all three cities to get 4 games. Toronto and Vancouver may be favourites of FIFA.

BC Place is expected to have grass as part of bid.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Also, as far as I can tell, TFC report turnstile counts instead of reporting tickets distributed like most teams do.  So on many days the announced attendance is, say, 23 000, but there are very few tickets left for sale on the website.  It just means a bunch of people (presumably seasons ticket holders) sat that one out.

On 3/29/2022 at 8:35 PM, Ansem said:

Re: Edmonton 

If they are guaranteed 5 games and Vancouver comes back in the fold, that's 6 stadiums between Canada & Mexico to the 10 US stadiums.

Montagliani said many times that FIFA had last say on the World Cup. This could have FIFA possibly override the greedy 60-10-10 formula imposed by the USSF.

5 games makes more senses for governments to justify the spending than 2 or 3 games. When there was a bunch of cities, Quebec and BC were out - terms made little sense and small amount of games wouldn't justify the investment. Here we're seeing that for Alberta, 5 makes sense.

I'm all for it if this means sharing games 50-15-15. Despite what the bid book says, FIFA has last say on everything and it voted for a North American bid. 60-10-10 isn't that

I wonder if Canada’s recent success makes them a bit more inclined to lean in our favour.  In the last few years we have started a new pro league, won the Olympic women’s gold medal, and qualified for the WC for the first time in 36 years (with a globallly recognized superstar).  They may want to promote the game in the US (as a massive global market). It there has never been a better time to help Canada make a quantum leap into a true footy nation.  If throwing a couple of extra games our way at the minor expense of a greedy US “partner” in the bid, I think it could happen.  

28 minutes ago, ardsa said:

Twitter thread from BC Legislative Reporter:

Vancouver likely to be back in the running for a spot - should find out in the next week.
10 games in Canada. All three potential host cities want 4-5 games. Math does not work all three cities to get 4 games. Toronto and Vancouver may be favourites of FIFA.

BC Place is expected to have grass as part of bid.

If Vancouver gets back in, I suspect it's probably because FIFA don't want Edmonton.