Theo Bair

Daniel Jebbison

Jacen Russell-Rowe

Ike Ugbo

Promise David

Stephen Afrifa

Lucas Cavallini

Etc

Might be a wild take, but Larin has to start finding the net regularly to convince me he's still number 2 on this list.  I know he works hard, is our top all-time scorer and * plays * in La Liga.  Yet, the guys behind him have all been scoring while he's been cold.  On top of all that that he doesn't compliment David and doesn't fit into the formations and style Marsch usually likes to play.  

We're just too deep at striker to ignore all this.

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

Might be a wild take, but Larin has to start finding the net regularly to convince me he's still number 2 on this list.  I know he works hard, is our top all-time scorer and * plays * in La Liga.  Yet, the guys behind him have all been scoring while he's been cold.  On top of all that that he doesn't compliment David and doesn't fit into the formations and style Marsch usually likes to play.  

I agree but both Marsch (and Herdman) seem to be insistent on making fetch happen.

I would love to see someone else partner David.

I don't think Larin has carte blanche to play indefinitely without scoring, but I also think you guys need to have some patience. All these other guys are scoring at lower levels than Larin is playing at. None of these guys have scored in their limited chances for Canada either, so hard to argue with Marsch or Herdman for that matter, who rightfully stuck my Larin in my opinion.

I would also argue that goals aside, none of these guys have yet to offer more to the team than Larin does. And for all the talk over the years that David and Larin aren't a natural pair, both are our best strikers and both have scored a lot of goals for the best Canadian generation (so far) of all time. 

2 hours ago, costarg said:

Who else on the list is scoring more regularly at a comparable level?

41 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Who else on the list is scoring more regularly at a comparable level?

Well there you go, we don't have guys at a comparable level, so kinda pointless point there huh?

But if you wanna play just to compare, I just pulled a few guys randomly.....

Cyle: 3 G from 1800 league minutes

Guys who aren't even strikers:

Tajon: 3G from 1000 minutes

Liam: 5G from 2500 minutes

Ismael 4G from 2500 minutes

Derek 2G from 1000 minutes

Moise 2G from 1500 minutes.

If that doesn't get the point across, not sure what will. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't think Larin has carte blanche to play indefinitely without scoring, but I also think you guys need to have some patience. All these other guys are scoring at lower levels than Larin is playing at. None of these guys have scored in their limited chances for Canada either, so hard to argue with Marsch or Herdman for that matter, who rightfully stuck my Larin in my opinion.

I would also argue that goals aside, none of these guys have yet to offer more to the team than Larin does. And for all the talk over the years that David and Larin aren't a natural pair, both are our best strikers and both have scored a lot of goals for the best Canadian generation (so far) of all time. 

I agree, it earned him enough until Copa.  We're on a clean and fresh slate now, we've got time before the next major tournament and hot players should be playing.  He needs to turn it around and I'm rooting for him.

Just now, costarg said:

I agree, it earned him enough until Copa.  We're on a clean and fresh slate now, we've got time before the next major tournament and hot players should be playing.  He needs to turn it around and I'm rooting for him.

I guess everyone is different, but for me that's a pretty short rope considering he scored the winning goal to qualify us for the Copa America. In the window before that, he scored in the first leg against Jamaica. Granted he only scored 3 goals in La Liga last season, but 2 of them came in 2024 and he scored another 3 goals in Copa del Rey goals.

This was his 2024 prior to Copa America:

2 La Liga goals, 3 Copa del Rey goals (they made the final), and 2 Canada goals.

As you said, these exploits were enough for him to earn it until Copa America. Was it his performance in Copa America that you take issue with? 

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I guess everyone is different, but for me that's a pretty short rope considering he scored the winning goal to qualify us for the Copa America. In the window before that, he scored in the first leg against Jamaica. Granted he only scored 3 goals in La Liga last season, but 2 of them came in 2024 and he scored another 3 goals in Copa del Rey goals.

This was his 2024 prior to Copa America:

2 La Liga goals, 3 Copa del Rey goals (they made the final), and 2 Canada goals.

As you said, these exploits were enough for him to earn it until Copa America. Was it his performance in Copa America that you take issue with? 

Sorry, making dinner and I didn't elaborate properly!  

My thought was along the lines of: if he doesn't start finishing the chances and scoring regularly in La Liga he'll lose his minutes, if/when that happens, I don't feel he can start for Canada if he isn't playing and other guys are scoring at the frequency we've been seeing.  Even taking the lower league factor into consideration.

About the stats, I went strictly with league minutes, I omitted all cup and national team goals just to do it quickly.

Edited by costarg

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

My thought was along the lines of: if he doesn't start finishing the chances and scoring regularly in La Liga he'll lose his minutes, if/when that happens, I don't feel he can start for Canada if he isn't playing and other guys are scoring at the frequency we've been seeing.  Even taking the lower league factor into consideration.

What's for dinner? 😁

Just now, MtlMario said:

What's for dinner? 😁

Doing a movie night with the daughters, setup the TV in the yard.  Turkey chili with nachos and avocados on the side.  Before you get all judgmental about using turkey, I add bacon to give it more flavor.  We actually prefer this recipe to the original! 

22 minutes ago, costarg said:

Well there you go, we don't have guys at a comparable level, so kinda pointless point there huh?

But if you wanna play just to compare, I just pulled a few guys randomly.....

Cyle: 3 G from 1800 league minutes

Guys who aren't even strikers:

Tajon: 3G from 1000 minutes

Liam: 5G from 2500 minutes

Ismael 4G from 2500 minutes

Derek 2G from 1000 minutes

Moise 2G from 1500 minutes.

If that doesn't get the point across, not sure what will. 

That's funny, all your random guys did as good or better than Larin. I wonder if I could do my own "random" pull of Canadian players and find guys that've done worse.....

1 minute ago, costarg said:

Okay I got you now. That makes a lot more sense to me! I agree it would be odd for him to hold the spot down if his goal return doesn't pick up and guys like Bair and Ugbo score buckets of goals in Ligue 1 and the Championship. 

At the same time though, if he's scoring for Canada I wonder if it even matters? Say things don't drastically improve come September but he scores against USA or Mexico, are we dropping him from the starting line up? If he then scores in October but comes in cold with his club, are we just punishing him for club form at that point?

1 minute ago, costarg said:

Doing a movie night with the daughters, setup the TV in the yard.  Turkey chili with nachos and avocados on the side.  Before you get all judgmental about using turkey, I add bacon to give it more flavor.  We actually prefer this recipe to the original! 

What movie?.............................................................. Just joking! Bon appetit.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

That's funny, all your random guys did as good or better than Larin. I wonder if I could do my own "random" pull of Canadian players and find guys that've done worse.....

Man, I got my hands full! 

----Random guys I know have scored a few recently including CB's! 

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

Well it's the standard UK footballer wide angled crotch shot so there's plenty of real estate for you to examine :)

Pst - your balls are showing. 

Bumblebee tuna. 

18 hours ago, costarg said:

About the stats, I went strictly with league minutes, I omitted all cup and national team goals just to do it quickly.

He scored vs lower level teams in Copa too. 

I think Mallorca will have better wing play and attacking mids and that should help. 

I'm pretty sure after 18 months he still can't speak Spanish so he's not going to be a fan favourite and they'll get on his case quickly. He can't even say three words to the press or fans after a game. I can understand not learning Turkish. But Spanish?