Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

8 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Just so I am clear we are crediting him with a goal standing a foot from the goal line that was going in anyways?

It was actually just going wide because the keeper got a hand to it so he made a well-timed run and got the game winner.  You can see the goal as the last clip in this vid.  

On 8/6/2024 at 10:52 AM, Kadenge said:

Wasn't there some media stuff that Canada had a shirt set with his name for WC22 but that he pulled out at the last minute after pressure from his agent? Wish him well but I'm done with players who want to join us as their 2nd choice. Jebbo was born and raised in Canada unlike LDF who made the early decision to play for Canada. Millar another example of a young player making the commitment early when he was with Liverpool's youth teams.  

Said agent has an English bias it seems. I think a good agent would tell him to make the switch considering he could have already been playing international ball at a high level, which could have increased his value on the market not unlike Bombito, Cornelius, Shaff and others. This is not the Canada of ten years ago, it's a great team to be on, it's great exposure, it's a great advertisement for a player which can help facilitate a move to the next level, and I think Jebbison is starting to see that...plus his agent should also mention to him about the possibility of a lucrative MLS DP contract in his late 20s/early 30s. I am not saying he can't get it if he reps England, but if he reps us, it's pretty much guaranteed down the line. 

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Not this again. He has England in his bio and his display picture is him in an England shirt. The striker he’s replacing is on the cusp of England call ups at 26. He’s committed to that dream it seems. 

He wasn't brought in to replace Solanke.  He is still being shopped around to all and sundry in the Championship from most reports. 

He may get a chance but Bournemouth will buy someone before the window closes.  At least that is where I would put my money.

24 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He wasn't brought in to replace Solanke.  He is still being shopped around to all and sundry in the Championship from most reports. 

He may get a chance but Bournemouth will buy someone before the window closes.  At least that is where I would put my money.

That they might, but a handful of goals for Bournemouth at 21 does put him on the path towards an England call at some point. I think Solanke had one goal in his age 21 season? I don’t think he’s any closer to Canada this year than he was last, and the fact that he moved on from Sheffield probably pushes him farther from us, not closer. 

8 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

That they might, but a handful of goals for Bournemouth at 21 does put him on the path towards an England call at some point. I think Solanke had one goal in his age 21 season? I don’t think he’s any closer to Canada this year than he was last, and the fact that he moved on from Sheffield probably pushes him farther from us, not closer. 

Yeah it's a weird one with him. I am not convinced any IG follows/unfollows means anything. The deeper we get at forward, the more he'll have to do to earn a call. And the longer he waits, the deeper our pool will get - case in point is Promise David putting in work with USG in Belgium. If Santiago Lopez pops off in Liga MX, we're probably calling him in. What about Luka Kulenovic with Heracles in the Eredivisie?

Then on the flipside, the longer he waits, the longer the England dream stays alive, and the more time he has to attract their attention. Goals in the Prem would alert Englang, goals in the Championship probably wont, but they won't necessarily put him ahead of Ugbo, Tani, JRR, or Bair, who are playing at similar levels, give and take a bit.

Do you call Jebbison in November if he's on 4 Championship goals, if Ugbo is on 8? Do you call him ahead of Bair if he's scored the same number of goals or better in Ligue 1, which is a bit of a higher level? At this rate, Promise David will probably have scored more goals than Jebbison, at a level that'll likely be just as good as wherever he ends up at. 

So while he's a player we definitely want to lock down, the path to a Canadian spot isn't clear. The only thing that'd put him above the rest is EPL goals, but that would alert England as I said, so it's a strange situation. 

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah it's a weird one with him. I am not convinced any IG follows/unfollows means anything. The deeper we get at forward, the more he'll have to do to earn a call. And the longer he waits, the deeper our pool will get - case in point is Promise David putting in work with USG in Belgium. If Santiago Lopez pops off in Liga MX, we're probably calling him in. What about Luka Kulenovic with Heracles in the Eredivisie?

Then on the flipside, the longer he waits, the longer the England dream stays alive, and the more time he has to attract their attention. Goals in the Prem would alert Englang, goals in the Championship probably wont, but they won't necessarily put him ahead of Ugbo, Tani, JRR, or Bair, who are playing at similar levels, give and take a bit.

Do you call Jebbison in November if he's on 4 Championship goals, if Ugbo is on 8? Do you call him ahead of Bair if he's scored the same number of goals or better in Ligue 1, which is a bit of a higher level? At this rate, Promise David will probably have scored more goals than Jebbison, at a level that'll likely be just as good as wherever he ends up at. 

So while he's a player we definitely want to lock down, the path to a Canadian spot isn't clear. The only thing that'd put him above the rest is EPL goals, but that would alert England as I said, so it's a strange situation. 

Who amongst us (maybe I’m just speaking for myself) hasn’t followed/unfollowed people on social media at 21 for trivial reasons? He’s still a kid, I don’t read too much into that, especially considering that he is still proudly repping England in his photo and bio/ 

I think player camps are always comparing the player to others who were in their situation at their age. To us, he’s been hovering around the premier league for 4 years without much to show, but to his agent and/or advisors, he’s in a similar camp as a player like Solanke, and not too far off from Harry Kane (4 goals in 19 in his age 20 season before breaking out at 21), and others who at 24, 25, were among the best strikers in England. Someone could easily tell him that look, if you can score like 5 goals for Bournemouth or get loaned out to the championship and light it up for double digits, guys like that often follow that up with massive age 22 seasons, get called for England at 23, and by the 2030 World Cup, you may be starting for a team we believe can win it all. Every player at this stage and his age has probably gotten told they’re the next international superstar since they’ve been 11 years old, so whereas we see him as a guy who’s good enough for us but maybe just not quite England level, he could very well still think he’s a future £100M man with a 30 goal season in his boots. 

They might also tell him that he is years behind unseating Jonathan David for Canada, and those Canadians seem married to starting Larin until the wheels fall off, there’s that Oluwaseyi guy that their scouts are in love with- you pick them and all that changes for you is you can’t play for England ever again. 

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This will be difficult with Bournemouth in the Premier League.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Solanke was a regular - games and scorer-  (and under Southgate at the beginning) with their u21s before he got his solo call to the senior squad. 

Honestly Jebbison needs to get there (only ever played for the u20s) before I would be that worried.

A good year in the Championship will get him there but one preseason goal does not a summer make. 

7 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Solanke was a regular - games and scorer-  (and under Southgate at the beginning) with their u21s before he got his solo call to the senior squad. 

Honestly Jebbison needs to get there (only ever played for the u20s) before I would be that worried.

A good year in the Championship will get him there but one preseason goal does not a summer make. 

Assuming he does go on loan to the Championship, what do you think the chances are that he outscores the like of Ugbo? 

And would you say his goals in the Championship should be held in higher esteem than Promise David's in Belgium? Both are dual nationals and if both are scoring at the same rate, do we want to prioritize David over Jebbision? I don't see a world where we call both for the same window. 

6 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He’s certainly not a lock, but he’s close enough for an agent to get in his ear and tell him that he’s still on track to be an England regular. Same agent could also be telling him England has a veritable shot of raising the World Cup- they say all sorts of things. Just don’t think he’s far enough out of the England picture that makes us an attractive backup, unless he’s like LDF and has some special place for us in his heart which hasn’t seem to have been the case thus far. 

30 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He’s certainly not a lock, but he’s close enough for an agent to get in his ear and tell him that he’s still on track to be an England regular. Same agent could also be telling him England has a veritable shot of raising the World Cup- they say all sorts of things. Just don’t think he’s far enough out of the England picture that makes us an attractive backup, unless he’s like LDF and has some special place for us in his heart which hasn’t seem to have been the case thus far. 

We don't know what he feels.

LDF may have the feels but he also was/is playing in a position of great need and could legitmately be promised playing time very soon. 

Bit more complicated at striker (in a great way for us).

41 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Assuming he does go on loan to the Championship, what do you think the chances are that he outscores the like of Ugbo? 

And would you say his goals in the Championship should be held in higher esteem than Promise David's in Belgium? Both are dual nationals and if both are scoring at the same rate, do we want to prioritize David over Jebbision? I don't see a world where we call both for the same window. 

If Jebbison is scoring even close to the goals of Ugbo and similar to Promise David I’d give Jenni the edge for his age alone. Just turned 21 so the potential there can’t be ignored. Don’t get me wrong Promise David looks very promising (hehe) too and he seems to be a late bloomer but two years makes a big difference

47 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Tough one honestly.

I have seen more of Jebbison and I personally cheer him on for a bit of a redemption arc after his struggle last year.

And after Tomori I would like to take things away from England. (Even if they couldn't care less) 

But none of those are really the best reasons. 

As far as him scoring in the Championship, honestly comes down to the team.  I think he has a whole lot of the tools (pace, power and I can't remember him fluffing good looks at goal) to take chances if he is given the them. 

28 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Assuming Jebbison did commit, who gets dropped in September? JRR/Tani? 

Especially with Arfifa on fire now too!

Rich Problems:

Jonathan David

Cyle Larin

Tani Oluwaseyi

Theo Bair

Daniel Jebbison

Jacen Russell-Rowe

Ike Ugbo

Promise David

Stephen Afrifa

Lucas Cavallini