Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

I'll admit that I am biased because I know how to watch most of the football at Jebbison's likely destinations and I know the teams a bit.  

But part of me is just cheering for him -  first they had a glut of strikers and then they recalled him from a decent loan and then him  losing a year to a blot clot.

And it would be nice if Sheffield United lost out on something big,( we are back where we started with my biases.) 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Question: on July 1st, 2025, who is closer to making the CANMNT- Jebbison or Promise David?

It all depends on how Promise acclimates to the Belgian league. I've watched the highlights of a few of his games this season in Estonia, and I wouldn't say the league is better than the CPL, probably worse. This is a bigger step in my eyes than CPL to MLS. Furthermore, USG is potentially going to be in the Champions League this year, and probably at least the Europa League. If a player was dominating in the CPL and moved, would we expect them to get minutes in either of these competitions? I think we need to temper our expectations a bit and view him breaking into the rotation by the end of the season as a great sign that he's adapting to the level. I think only next season will we potentially see him breakthrough at USG, and maybe also into the national team. Also, I don't see a world where Nigeria swoops in to get him with their current striker depth, so we don't have to rush into any kind of cap-tying acts.

4 minutes ago, AnonymousInsider said:

It all depends on how Promise acclimates to the Belgian league. I've watched the highlights of a few of his games this season in Estonia, and I wouldn't say the league is better than the CPL, probably worse. This is a bigger step in my eyes than CPL to MLS. Furthermore, USG is potentially going to be in the Champions League this year, and probably at least the Europa League. If a player was dominating in the CPL and moved, would we expect them to get minutes in either of these competitions? I think we need to temper our expectations a bit and view him breaking into the rotation by the end of the season as a great sign that he's adapting to the level. I think only next season will we potentially see him breakthrough at USG, and maybe also into the national team. Also, I don't see a world where Nigeria swoops in to get him with their current striker depth, so we don't have to rush into any kind of cap-tying acts.

I meant closer in the literal sense- when we make these striker depth charts with like 8 guys on them, who’s closest? Doubt either will supplant guys like Bair/JRR/Tani/Ugbo as our end of roster guys, but I wonder based on their upcoming season, who will be farther along in their development. Both would have to have a heck of a development spurt to be in the 2026 picture. 

I’m bearish on Jebbo since it’s been so long since he’s done much of anything, but a great season for him at Sheffield goes a longer way than a great year for David at USG, but I also give the edge to David in terms of who I think is more likely to come out of nowhere and make his mark. I think there’s a scenario where his season looks like Tani’s current season with Minnesota. Has to force himself into the rotation first though, obviously. 

9 minutes ago, AnonymousInsider said:

It depends on the club they would land at but if a player in the CPL was scoring a goal a game I would expect (generally speaking) they could feature for a club such as USG. 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I meant closer in the literal sense- when we make these striker depth charts with like 8 guys on them, who’s closest? Doubt either will supplant guys like Bair/JRR/Tani/Ugbo as our end of roster guys, but I wonder based on their upcoming season, who will be farther along in their development. Both would have to have a heck of a development spurt to be in the 2026 picture. 

I’m bearish on Jebbo since it’s been so long since he’s done much of anything, but a great season for him at Sheffield goes a longer way than a great year for David at USG, but I also give the edge to David in terms of who I think is more likely to come out of nowhere and make his mark. I think there’s a scenario where his season looks like Tani’s current season with Minnesota. Has to force himself into the rotation first though, obviously. 

I think our striker pool is getting to the point of stylistic approaches (soonish). 

David and larin are givens. Jebbo and Ugbo gives us a poacher who can run in behind, jrr can contribute to build up play, tani is athletic and seems like a hybrid of styles of Ugbo and promise. promise and bair compete for the pinch hitter big boy role.

the Dutch took depay - link up, brobbey- hold up, weghorst - pinch hitter.  3 very diverse skill sets.  Canada may likely do the same if our young guys like vilsaint, Kerr etc keep developing 

12 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I think our striker pool is getting to the point of stylistic approaches (soonish). 

David and larin are givens. Jebbo and Ugbo gives us a poacher who can run in behind, jrr can contribute to build up play, tani is athletic and seems like a hybrid of styles of Ugbo and promise. promise and bair compete for the pinch hitter big boy role.

the Dutch took depay - link up, brobbey- hold up, weghorst - pinch hitter.  3 very diverse skill sets.  Canada may likely do the same if our young guys like vilsaint, Kerr etc keep developing 

I have seen very little from Kerr this year. Thought he would play more under Herdman

49 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

I have seen very little from Kerr this year. Thought he would play more under Herdman

I thought Herdman would give alot of the young Canadians a better chance to succeed. Kerr, Franklin, JMR, Pearlman or Stefanovic. For me, from a Canadian perspective Herdman has been a huge disappointment.

7 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I thought Herdman would give alot of the young Canadians a better chance to succeed. Kerr, Franklin, JMR, Pearlman or Stefanovic. For me, from a Canadian perspective Herdman has been a huge disappointment.

Maybe they're just not ready? Last year even when scoring Kerr looked like a newborn giraffe on ice, Franklin's getting enough opportunities but seems to have taken a step back, JMR isn't separating himself from the other options and the centrebacks aren't the main issue.

3 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

With the squad they have and the payroll of TFC, a guy with Herdman’s hype should be able to do one of two things: play the vets and compete for the league or utilize a lot of young talent and develop some great players while achieving less spectacular results (or some combo of those two).  Unfortunately he seems to be doing neither.  

I don’t want this to come across as sour grapes (mainly because I have nothing against Herdman) but I think his WCQ run was a bit of catching lightning in a bottle.  His motivational tactics worked well over a limited period of time to elevate the play and cohesion of a specific group of talented young players who were hellbent on achieving a common historic goal. It seemed like the perfect marriage - on a temporary basis.  I think he has been somewhat exposed tactically and it remains to be seen if his motivational method can be sustained over the long term in a club environment. I have my doubts - but you never know.  

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

With the squad they have and the payroll of TFC, a guy with Herdman’s hype should be able to do one of two things: play the vets and compete for the league or utilize a lot of young talent and develop some great players while achieving less spectacular results (or some combo of those two).  Unfortunately he seems to be doing neither.  

I don’t want this to come across as sour grapes (mainly because I have nothing against Herdman) but I think his WCQ run was a bit of catching lightning in a bottle.  His motivational tactics worked well over a limited period of time to elevate the play and cohesion of a specific group of talented young players who were hellbent on achieving a common historic goal. It seemed like the perfect marriage - on a temporary basis.  I think he has been somewhat exposed tactically and it remains to be seen if his motivational method can be sustained over the long term in a club environment. I have my doubts - but you never know.  

I very much have my doubts of herdman in club management.  But it’s a bit ridiculous to give him half a season with a garbage squad. Imagine saying that with liverpools payroll, klopp should be competing for the title. 

I think herdman will make a fine mls manager but nothing special and likely get fired in a couple years from tfc.  

He deserves to be judged when the roster isn’t so terribly unbalanced.  

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

It's been half a season and TFC have been far better. Granted I haven't been watching much, but they were above the playoff line last I checked. That may be underachieving given their payroll, but it's a hell of a lot better than last year, with a roster that's been very poorly constructed. 

I guess I am drawing a bit of a distinction between when he came in and was the new inspiration and the current situation.  If my take on things is accurate, you would potentially see an immediate bump as his inspirational methods get guys to elevate their game and then things would move back to status quo after the shine wears off.   Because, just like we saw at the end of his Canada tenure, I think his methods have a shelf life.  

He absolutely started strong at TFC but the grind of club management is a different sort of beast requiring a sustainable method.  And after the initial push, TFC’s performances have dropped off a lot lately.  

IMG_4048.jpeg

16 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I guess I am drawing a bit of a distinction between when he came in and was the new inspiration and the current situation.  If my take on things is accurate, you would potentially see an immediate bump as his inspirational methods get guys to elevate their game and then things would move back to status quo after the shine wears off.   Because, just like we saw at the end of his Canada tenure, I think his methods have a shelf life.  

He absolutely started strong at TFC but the grind of club management is a different sort of beast requiring a sustainable method.  And after the initial push, TFC’s performances have dropped off a lot lately.  

IMG_4048.jpeg

It's fair.  Think I read a little while ago the early season was pretty "easy" with lower ranked teams as well, so that is also a factor here.

22 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I have rooted for Herdman some because he feels like a bit of nerd (a football one for sure, but still) from a hardcore football playing area.  To come up more of an academic route, having never played at any notable level can't be easy.  I can imagine him getting bullied by lots of big Geordie kids. 

He's almost 50 and should know some tactics by now.  Not sure that's the problem but see below. 

I don't follow TFC closely but they were on last night (no other football, the horror...). They just weren't working very hard for decent stretches of that game.   A lot of that has to come down to the manager's motivation. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Very good. Let's see now if he can have a good season and push into the Canadian team.

Be interesting to see where he ends up.

Ahead of him:

Solanke has been linked away, basically same places as David, unsurprisingly for a lot more money.

Enes Unal was on loan for the second half of the season but they signed him permanent.  Had an ACL injury before that and I think related to that just broke something and missed the Euros with Turkey.

Keiffer Moore probably wants to play again (was on loan at Ipswich last year)

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Skimming the articles, it's interesting to see how much interest there was in Italy and Germany and how his English experience will ultimately pan out for him. 

Have to imagine that he'll see plenty of minutes off of the bench, depending on Bournmouth's fortunes this season. 

It's also easy to picture him holding out like Junior, at least for a bit, to see if a senior England cap is even realistic anymore. We hold the wildcard, of course with '26 coming in full view and still quite a shallow bench. Larin's job is also up for the taking as fsr as I am concerned, and you'd have to think even an unproductive premier league attacker immediately joins Larin in the debate for that spot.

Posted (edited)

Just did a little stalking of the pics of Bournemouth's first day of preseason yesterday

Solanke's there and Unal is fit enough to be there. Did not see Kieffer Moore.

Generally seeing amongst Bournemouth writers that he will be loaned to the Championship (could be repeating each other) 

If you are in California later in the month, they play Wrexham and Arsenal there

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

7 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Peanuts right?

Sheffield United supporters are bitterly thrilled at the amount.

My knowledge of prem salaries is nowhere near my knowledge of North American salaries, but on the surface, giving Jebbison decent running back money seems pretty ambitious for Bournemouth. Guessing they have a plan to flip him to one of the rumoured big clubs he’s been linked to a few years down the line once he starts cooking. 

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

My knowledge of prem salaries is nowhere near my knowledge of North American salaries, but on the surface, giving Jebbison decent running back money seems pretty ambitious for Bournemouth. Guessing they have a plan to flip him to one of the rumoured big clubs he’s been linked to a few years down the line once he starts cooking. 

The 1.5m is training compensation to Sheffield United.