Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

I don't have any into but I always assumed we would have to wait until he is about 25 years old before he ever decided to play for us.

I think it will happened before then.
He’ll miss this WC, but the next one he won’t want to. 

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

I think it will happened before then.
He’ll miss this WC, but the next one he won’t want to. 

I hope he chooses Canada, obviously.  Go back 3-4 years we’d all be crying if he didn’t pick us.  If he goes to England, good luck I guess, we’ll move forward here 

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

I don't have any into but I always assumed we would have to wait until he is about 25 years old before he ever decided to play for us.

I always thought this way too. After watching him today it's clear he's developed physically and looks more like a man than before. Given his run of form and Cav's recent decline in form, the door is open for Jebbison if he's interested. I've always thought that perhaps a lack of guaranteed playing time might have had him waiting for 2026 cycle before deciding, but maybe if Herdman can offer him a role he'd reconsider

51 minutes ago, frmr said:

How so? He could potentially be in the World Cup squad this year if he was to stake his place. How is that a head scratcher?

He’s made zero indication he wants to leave the England youth system (which he is active in) and it’s clear he is focusing on his club career.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

He has an opportunity to play in 2 WCs with Canada ( assuming we  qualify for Qatar) before he turns 25. That would be a massive missed opportunity for him and his career. There is no guaranty he will make the England team just because he is on the their youth teams. Now does Herdman think he can make our 2022 squad???  That could be what's holding Jebbo back

44 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

He’s made zero indication he wants to leave the England youth system (which he is active in) and it’s clear he is focusing on his club career.

You talk to him often, do you? I can't imagine how surprised you would have been when Ugbo joined us if you think Jebbison joining is a head scratcher.

11 minutes ago, frmr said:

You talk to him often, do you? I can't imagine how surprised you would have been when Ugbo joined us if you think Jebbison joining is a head scratcher.

I just don’t get the confidence he wants to join the camp now.  I clearly have no additionally knowledge beyond him going to a number of England camps and a great run of recent form that may give him the confidence he still has a chance to play for England.  Are we to believe he has no interest in playing for England?  That’s what I don’t get.

I was very surprised by Ugbo - not sure I get the comparison.

6 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I just don’t get the confidence he wants to join the camp now.  I clearly have no additionally knowledge beyond him going to a number of England camps and a great run of recent form that may give him the confidence he still has a chance to play for England.  Are we to believe he has no interest in playing for England?  That’s what I don’t get.

I was very surprised by Ugbo - not sure I get the comparison.

I have no idea what his goals are, all I know is that he has a chance to play in a World Cup with his birth country this year and I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he chose to try to do so. I also wouldn’t be surprised if he delays his decision or tries for England. None of these decisions are head scratchers. 

The Ugbo comparison was just to say that we have no idea what is going through players’ minds and just because there is “no indication” of something to the general public, doesn’t mean it’s not a possibility.

24 minutes ago, frmr said:

Ugbo comparison is terrible for so many reasons. The biggest surprise there was the fact that he was actually eligible. Had we known that I don’t think the surprise would have been quite so big.

6 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Ugbo comparison is terrible for so many reasons. The biggest surprise there was the fact that he was actually eligible. Had we known that I don’t think the surprise would have been quite so big.

It's not a direct comparison. It's just to say we don't know what players are thinking, and just because someone doesn't say they want to do X, it doesn't mean it's not a possibility.

20 hours ago, narduch said:

You really think he is going to wait until he is 25 when we make the World Cup and give him a call if England does not?

28 minutes ago, Macksam said:

You really think he is going to wait until he is 25 when we make the World Cup and give him a call if England does not?

I wouldn’t be surprised if he held out until 2024/5, I can really see it going either way.  

He has the guarantee Canada will play in the WC in 2026, plus the dream of playing for England (and the additonal club $$$ that comes with being even a few time capped England player brings) is still very live.

8 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he held out until 2024/5, I can really see it going either way.  

He has the guarantee Canada will play in the WC in 2026, plus the dream of playing for England (and the additonal club $$$ that comes with being even a few time capped England player brings) is still very live.

Maybe..let’s say for arguments sake he’s legitimately got a chance to play for England.  Another big advantage to committing there is that you have a tournament every 2 years.  Lots of qualifying games.  Obviously tough line up to crack 

2 hours ago, trc2014 said:

I'm not intimately aware of what this entails. Do prem players that play for the English national team get a bonus from their respective clubs or are you just suggesting he would get paid more from his club due to his increased marketability as an English national team player? 

13 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I'm not intimately aware of what this entails. Do prem players that play for the English national team get a bonus from their respective clubs or are you just suggesting he would get paid more from his club due to his increased marketability as an English national team player? 

I don’t have facts on this but I thought I had heard even a few time capped top 10 national team player has significantly more value than a country in 40-50 range.  Happy to be told this is not the true though.  I think I heard it in reference to Tomori’s decision to stay with England rather than be a much more established Canada player.

Edited by trc2014