Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I hope this is true 

I replied to someone else’s response to this - I don’t think he is saying that he will be a January call-up, just that he will Be invited to camp.  Sort of like Flores - give them a chance to check out the setup and run shoulders with our superstars (still feels funny to say that unsarcastically).   Coming into a camp doesn’t commit them to anything but it lets both sides… hook up.   

41 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Coming into a camp doesn’t commit them to anything but it lets both sides… hook up.   

Im not 18 like Jebbison but aren’t most relationships at that age now non committal and just let both sides hook up?

48 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I replied to someone else’s response to this - I don’t think he is saying that he will be a January call-up, just that he will Be invited to camp.  Sort of like Flores - give them a chance to check out the setup and run shoulders with our superstars (still feels funny to say that unsarcastically).   Coming into a camp doesn’t commit them to anything but it lets both sides… hook up.   

I can’t imagine Jebbison being in camp in January as a training player. Sheffield United and Burton are both playing matches at that time. Hardly a viable excuse to leave your club if you’re a first team player. 

I think he can legitimately help us next window considering he's getting regular playing time in a decentish league, and will be playing in the next two months unlike our domestic guys (which is only Cav I think when it comes to forwards lol). Plus we can cap tie him and he's ours forever.

...I mostly just want to cap tie him lol.

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

I can’t imagine Jebbison being in camp in January as a training player. Sheffield United and Burton are both playing matches at that time. Hardly a viable excuse to leave your club if you’re a first team player. 

Fair enough.   I guess I was thinking of the chatter around a guy like Flores coming into a camp and thinking it might be similar - but I suppose that makes less sense when it comes to Jebbison. 

Hell, maybe we see him get a full callup Into the extended squad. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Fair enough.   I guess I was thinking of the chatter around a guy like Flores coming into a camp and thinking it might be similar - but I suppose that makes less sense when it comes to Jebbison. 

Hell, maybe we see him get a full callup Into the extended squad. 

I hope we actually get an extended squad. Everyone out here bringing 26-27 guys and Herdman is running 23 and talking about cohesion and harmony when we know the CSA doesn't want to shell out anymore plane tickets than it needs to lmao.

14 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I hope we actually get an extended squad. Everyone out here bringing 26-27 guys and Herdman is running 23 and talking about cohesion and harmony when we know the CSA doesn't want to shell out anymore plane tickets than it needs to lmao.

I think there will definitely be more than 23 this time, last camp we were in the same location and it was only 2 games. I genuinely hope the CSA doesn't try to save a few bucks here, when we're this close to world cup qualification, one can hope.

30 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I’m not sure that’s true .. unless Cristian Campagna had been paying his own way this whole time.

Speaking of which.. I wonder what’s happening with him? He’s obviously held in high regard to be given such an opportunity but doesn’t appear to be playing in NCAA this season. 

If he’s not paying his own way it tells me that Herdman likes to run with a squad that has a chance to play. He doesn’t want to call guys in just for the sake of it. It’s respectful. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I’m not sure that’s true .. unless Cristian Campagna had been paying his own way this whole time.

Speaking of which.. I wonder what’s happening with him? He’s obviously held in high regard to be given such an opportunity but doesn’t appear to be playing in NCAA this season. 

If he’s not paying his own way it tells me that Herdman likes to run with a squad that has a chance to play. He doesn’t want to call guys in just for the sake of it. It’s respectful. 

Who’s Christian Campagna ?

I don't see at all how he can help us next window, or in this WC campaign. Have you seen the level? And the rival this last time out? 

I don't mind taking extra bodies, but you are telling me we are going to continue to snub a player in Russia top flight to bring in a guy in League One? For a position we really do not need help in?

I hear they are saying his loan runs out this December and that he'll be called back to Sheffield Utd. Or that they have the right to call him back and just might, with the new manager and needing help.

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't see at all how he can help us next window, or in this WC campaign. Have you seen the level? And the rival this last time out? 

I don't mind taking extra bodies, but you are telling me we are going to continue to snub a player in Russia top flight to bring in a guy in League One? For a position we really do not need help in?

I hear they are saying his loan runs out this December and that he'll be called back to Sheffield Utd. Or that they have the right to call him back and just might, with the new manager and needing help.

Wouldn't surprise me to be honest. I want to see Ennin at some point, but Jebbison has the higher ceiling so if you can only bring 1 it has to be him. 

The player is also not the level, let's remind ourselves. Yes RPL > L1, but Jebbison is scoring and his club is winning, while Ennin isn't scoring and his club isn't winning. That should be a factor.

When both players return from loan at season's end, will you switch your choice to Jebbison because Championship > Latvian league?

Or if Jeb is recalled early do you go with Jeb since Sheffield > NN?

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Wouldn't surprise me to be honest. I want to see Ennin at some point, but Jebbison has the higher ceiling so if you can only bring 1 it has to be him. 

The player is also not the level, let's remind ourselves. Yes RPL > L1, but Jebbison is scoring and his club is winning, while Ennin isn't scoring and his club isn't winning. That should be a factor.

When both players return from loan at season's end, will you switch your choice to Jebbison because Championship > Latvian league?

If you are arguing playing and scoring is the criteria, there are a few interesting prospects in L10 Quebec we could take a look at. 

I mean, not even Messi is scoring in Ligue 1, and is missing a lot of matches, which makes Jebbison clearly better if I understand you right.

League One is a sloppy level of football with some terrible quality, just look at the way Accrington Stanley gifted two of those goals. It was laughable. Saying Jebbison is doing well there and getting excited about him is a bit sad.

As for Ennin: has scored and played in Russia 2nd tier, and then, on a promoted team, has played as well, over 700 minutes in 9 matches (no goals though). 

Fact is, do we need new strikers? Answer is no, we do not. We are even sitting David, and Ugbo got a handful of minutes and is down in the pecking order, a guy scoring for his Belgium team. So the honest answer is: no more new strikers, we play with Larin, David and Ike. On the sides our options are Millar, or even Corbeanu. Leaving out all MLS guys as third level subs, just for argument's sake

Let's not be totally cynical--folks would like to see Jebbison in the mix for Canada. Like Flores, like Lucas Dias, who is closer to Sporting first team and a higher level than either of those. 

Now to answer the last question, if I got it right: yes, if Jebbison goes back to Sheffield Utd after the New Year and still gets minutes and is scoring, very positive sign for us. But if Ennin scores for Novgorod, what are we doing calling up a League One player over a guy scoring in Russia top flight? Being cynical, that is all, which is a bad formula for a "brotherhood" (and no, he will not return to Latvia after the loan is over, he's already had successive loans to a higher level).

(By the way, funny anecdote: a student who had visa problems came into class late this semester, from Russia, name is Polina. When I asked her where she was from, she said it was a small town I would never have heard of. Try me, I said. You guessed it, Nizhny Novgorod. I don't know about others here, but my geography of some countries is amazing just on the basis of following Canucks Abroad).

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

^^^ I get what you are saying - and was hoping to see Ennin called up before now (though the addition of Ugbo may partly explain the decision to hold off on that one).  However, Jebbison is a pretty highly rated prospect and is being productive, even if you have reservations about the level of opposition.  And if the rumours of an early recall are to be believed, he may be a Championship level striker shortly.  For me, he is probably the top dual candidate to get into a squad if he is willing (aside from maybe Ferdi) even if it is already a position of strength.   And based on the chatter and Twitter rumours, it seems like he may be closer to accepting a Canadian call than Flores or Dias - both of whom are still just playing youth footy.     

The whole Tomori situation showed that England will now cap players just for the sake of hoarding them.  Different situation because Tomori was obviously playing at a much higher level, but IMO that still changes things for us.  In the case of Jebbison, he isn’t close to an England cap, but if he is willing to accept the call from us and commit, I think I would make room on the squad and see if I could get him on the field at some point.  The only thing that would potentially change my mind is if a guy like Dias was also willing to come, was comparable in quality to our current level of play (after seeing him in camp), and we had to decide which single player we wanted to integrate into the team to avoid disrupting team chemistry.  

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you are arguing playing and scoring is the criteria, there are a few interesting prospects in L10 Quebec we could take a look at. 

I mean, not even Messi is scoring in Ligue 1, and is missing a lot of matches, which makes Jebbison clearly better if I understand you right.

League One is a sloppy level of football with some terrible quality, just look at the way Accrington Stanley gifted two of those goals. It was laughable. Saying Jebbison is doing well there and getting excited about him is a bit sad.

As for Ennin: has scored and played in Russia 2nd tier, and then, on a promoted team, has played as well, over 700 minutes in 9 matches (no goals though). 

Fact is, do we need new strikers? Answer is no, we do not. We are even sitting David, and Ugbo got a handful of minutes and is down in the pecking order, a guy scoring for his Belgium team. So the honest answer is: no more new strikers, we play with Larin, David and Ike. On the sides our options are Millar, or even Corbeanu. Leaving out all MLS guys as third level subs, just for argument's sake

Let's not be totally cynical--folks would like to see Jebbison in the mix for Canada. Like Flores, like Lucas Dias, who is closer to Sporting first team and a higher level than either of those. 

Now to answer the last question, if I got it right: yes, if Jebbison goes back to Sheffield Utd after the New Year and still gets minutes and is scoring, very positive sign for us. But if Ennin scores for Novgorod, what are we doing calling up a League One player over a guy scoring in Russia top flight? Being cynical, that is all, which is a bad formula for a "brotherhood" (and no, he will not return to Latvia after the loan is over, he's already had successive loans to a higher level).

(By the way, funny anecdote: a student who had visa problems came into class late this semester, from Russia, name is Polina. When I asked her where she was from, she said it was a small town I would never have heard of. Try me, I said. You guessed it, Nizhny Novgorod. I don't know about others here, but my geography of some countries is amazing just on the basis of following Canucks Abroad).

That is pretty funny. I do have a Geography degree, so I am wired that way to know about obscure cities and towns, so I tend to ask forigners where they are from out of curiosity, but definitelty following Canucks Abroad has added to that!

As for Ennin versus Jebbison. I know what you are saying. We don't need another striker at the moment. I just think in a hypothetical situation where you call one or the other you gotta lean Jebbison.

I get that League One is sloppy and all, but goal scoring for forwards matters. You can't take that to the extreme and select the leading scorer of L1O, obviously. You also have to give Ennin the benefit of the doubt (to an extent) despite the lack of production, because Russia is indeed a better level. For me, when I take both of those into account, then factor in Jebbion's ceiling, I lean that way, but you can argue it the other way as you've done and it is fair enough!

The good news is we can have this debate. There was a time where both HAD to be in the side no matter what, but not anymore....

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I had a similar incident with a guy I was working with from Ukraine years ago.  He said I bet you've never heard of my hometown of Donetsk.  And we ended up talking about Shaktar and he was thrilled.  

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Strongly disagree that Dias is at a higher level. I’ve watched Dias a few times now and he looks perfectly at his level in U19 football. I do not believe he is anywhere near the Sporting first team (what is that statement based on?) and do not believe you’ll see him with the first team anytime soon. Unlike Jebbison who is firmly entrenched in the England youth setup I don’t believe Dias is anywhere in the conversation for a Portugal call. Would Dias be a regular contributor  in League one - not in my opinion. 
and sure Ennin is playing in a good league but he’s on one of the worst teams in the RPL and has no goals with 2 assists in over 600 minutes. If Jebbison is in the same spot 5 years from now that will be a massive disappointment 

Edited by Floortom

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

Ennin is never gonna be goalscorer, but he brings a ballwinning-playmaking combination we don't get from anyone else. If he ever does get involved, it might be as more of a winger.

With what he's shown in RPL, I would hope he doesn't end up back in Latvia...

26 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

So he’s good ?

Well, didnt stick with Van, went to NCAA..sooooo.....not yet?!?   Not sure why he keeps showing up in camps...why not call a extra defender who might actually use this cycle, rather than a college kid who isnt on the radar eh??  He has to have a connection or he is physically close to the camps and can hop on his bike and pedal down to the pitch.  

3 hours ago, Floortom said:

Strongly disagree that Dias is at a higher level. I’ve watched Dias a few times now and he looks perfectly at his level in U19 football. I do not believe he is anywhere near the Sporting first team (what is that statement based on?) and do not believe you’ll see him with the first team anytime soon. Unlike Jebbison who is firmly entrenched in the England youth setup I don’t believe Dias is anywhere in the conversation for a Portugal call. Would Dias be a regular contributor  in League one - not in my opinion. 
and sure Ennin is playing in a good league but he’s on one of the worst teams in the RPL and has no goals with 2 assists in over 600 minutes. If Jebbison is in the same spot 5 years from now that will be a massive disappointment 

Well I assume you know more about how Sporting works than I do. 

What I will say is that those u-19s are doing well in Youth League. And most teams with some sense of player development would be giving some of those u-19s some minutes training with the first team, and even getting them a call-up, and even minutes like in a Cup match, or late when a game is wrapped up. 

There are two guys, maybe three, on Sporting, who are U-19 age, with some first team minutes. Dias's teammate Esteves, the right back, has played with the first team I think. I don't think it is that far-fetched.

On 11/28/2021 at 3:14 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

To be honest, I googled it.