Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

Jebbo has been out of the game for almost a whole season. It's going to take him sometime to get back to a level where he can perform well for his club or for Canada if he switches. He has good height, but looked wafer thin vs the West Ham CBs. Needs 10/15 games of regular playing time, score a couple goals &  get stronger before he can make a contribution. Striker is one position where we currently have a few options.

9 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Jebbo has been out of the game for almost a whole season. It's going to take him sometime to get back to a level where he can perform well for his club or for Canada if he switches. He has good height, but looked wafer thin vs the West Ham CBs. Needs 10/15 games of regular playing time, score a couple goals &  get stronger before he can make a contribution. Striker is one position where we currently have a few options.

I rather see Promise before Daniel at this time.

We don't have a striker of his stature, and he's been active and doing well.

44 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I thought he looked fine.  He held the ball up and brought some of his guys into the game.  No joy in one on one but they had the best of the play when he was on.

Evanlison is older, more experienced and played smarter at times so there was a difference, though one of the CB was changed as well.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

52 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Bair is not tiny, from my recollection. 

And has 2 starts in a better league. 

While you're right, but 2 inches is a big deal and we've barely seen Bair.

I just want to increase the odds of a real big man playing with David (especially in a 442), as I think Larins time as the guy is waning.

15 minutes ago, Shway said:

While you're right, but 2 inches is a big deal and we've barely seen Bair.

I just want to increase the odds of a real big man playing with David (especially in a 442), as I think Larins time as the guy is waning.

Maybe.

But I think the little man - big man 442 is mostly a thing of the past - EdYAtV1XoAAwuTJ.png

But if we are looking for that profile - Bair deserves the real shot first.  Considering his higher club level and time with our team.

If we are looking to cap-tie someone new and bring them in, Jebbison is a better player and younger than Promise. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Maybe.

But I think the little man - big man 442 is mostly a thing of the past - EdYAtV1XoAAwuTJ.png

But if we are looking for that profile - Bair deserves the real shot first.  Considering his higher club level and time with our team.

If we are looking to cap-tie someone new and bring them in, Jebbison is a better player and younger than Promise. 

Laughing at the pic.  Agree with the rest.   

It’s very common for players to not play for a national team based on club commitments such as a new transfer or regaining your spot in the depth chart after an injury.  It’s very logical why he isn’t with England or Canada atm. Not to mention a merit based argument.  

However, I do think a 21 year old striker getting prem sub minutes could make an impact for us. Maybe not for 90 or as a starter but there’s an argument he could be our best striker on the bench and now it’s just a matter of match rhythm. I’m expecting (well…. 35% hopeful) to see DJ on the October roster. 

In the Marsch interview in JM's thread posted by @Joe MacCarthyhe said that Jebbo will go with the England U21 team for now and they will speak after this window ..which sounds like he may commit. But @Olympique_de_Marseille posted that Jebbo was not on the U21 squad.  Unless he has been added now that his move to Watford has been confirmed?

Edited by Kadenge

7 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Maybe.

I disagree with the little man big man in a 442. IMO the 442 is a thing of the past in its own self...off the top of my head, I can't think of any club or country that deploys it. You'll rarely see two 6 foot something guys leading the line, because there less nimble or quick with their feet, but correct me if I'm wrong. 

And while you're right about Bair getting the "real shot first" as I was someone advocating for him a lot when guys were saying the SPL was shit ....Tani came in and got more minutes than him. We talk about England bias, but what makes Daniel Jebbison a better player than Promise David? I'm curious to know what your analysis is.

Lastly, 21 vs 23 isn't a massive age gap either. Form is everything for me, and I feel like with all the talent we have on the "same" level our squad should reflect that.

42 minutes ago, Shway said:

I disagree with the little man big man in a 442. IMO the 442 is a thing of the past in its own self...off the top of my head, I can't think of any club or country that deploys it.

The back 3 had also all but disappeared from pro soccer, only to have a massive successful reemergence in the 201x.

Nothing in soccer is constant, it's all fluid and evolving.  A lot like rock-paper-scissors.    

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

In the Marsch interview in JM's thread posted by @Joe MacCarthyhe said that Jebbo will go with the England U21 team for now and they will speak after this window ..which sounds like he may commit. But @Olympique_de_Marseille posted that Jebbo was not on the U21 squad.  Unless he has been added now that his move to Watford has been confirmed?

Sounds like he’s going to commit, shortly.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

, but what makes Daniel Jebbison a better player than Promise David?

Watching them both play.

21 to 23 are some important years and Jebbison knows how to play forward in ways David doesn't, with 2 less years of development. 

The little man-big man was mostly a joke for the Gervais-Merchant reference but teams play 442.

Villa played it against both West Ham and Lille that I remember of the top of my head and their lineups show a far number of other times.   

Newcastle played Isak and Wilson up front at times with Gordon/Murphy/Almiron/Barnes on the wings. 

Interesting recent article looking at it a different way.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5238298/2024/02/11/how-4-4-2-is-used-in-modern-football/

The 4-4-2 is dead. Long live the 4-4-2

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Not sure, why this conversation happened but.... I saw a couple games Promise played in earlier this year. He is huge but lacks any polish. He obviously has a talent for finding the back of the net. But damn, he looks like Bambi trying to run without falling down. He just doesn't look coordinated.

Obviously, USG sees a huge upside for him and I would be thrilled to see him commit.

Be nice to see a quote from Marsch on him because I haven't read anything on whether he has any interest in Canada