Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It's lazy because Nigeria isn't struggling against those teams that are better than the concacaf ones, they're struggling against Benin and Mali and South Africa. I agree they have much more top end talent than us, but Nigeria's in-conference performances as of late should not convince you that they are a better team than us.

I am not convinced they are better than Canada, so that one is easy. You may want to put some respect on Mali, though.

On paper they are our peers, with guys who play for RB Leipzig, Monaco, Atalanta, and 3 guys at RB Salzburg, just to name a few. Like Nigeria, I am not watching these matches, but historically they are no pushovers. 

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I agree that we will probably win a trophy before Nigeria does, but I think you're slightly discrediting the talent we have in our conference- Panama just beat the US, at home, in a must win game. Jamaica is in disarray, but look how quickly we've turned things around. 

I respect Panama. Not convinced they are better than Mali. Not saying they are definitely worse, though. Panama are better than sum of their parts and are underrated (excpet by people like you and I who know this region).

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Guess my issue was more that "CAF teams are way better than CONCACAF teams" is a lazy way of looking at things, because (typically) to win in either conference, you need to pick up your points against the really poor teams, and you need to knock out certified world class teams. 

I have trouble seeing your issue, but it's all good.

But let's just put it this way, if we could give letter grades to these teams, concacaf has no "A" teams, but they have 3 to 4 "B" teams....

CAF also has no "A" teams, but they have more than double the amount of "B" teams, if that makes sense.

Not sure it has to be any more complicated than that. More than double the amount of teams that can win AFCON. At the end of the day, we both agree that Canada will likely win a trophy before Nigeria. The field is just smaller. 

13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Nigeria has Oshimen, Lookman, Bonniface, Chukwueze, Bassey, etc. I don't know enough about Nigerian ball to know if this is the generation they *have* to make it happen with, or whether they're liable to develop this level of player again and again once these guys retire from their NT. 

If that's how you define it (which is fair) then I would argue that Nigeria's generation is good but not special in the sense we may not see it again. See my other post above this one comparing with the 2013 squad. Cheers. 

15 hours ago, anthony7 said:

AFCON, dumbass. Also, the potential to make noise in 2026 and be a legitimate dark horse. You’re an idiot. A lot of those African countries would destroy Canada right now.

You just wait a gosh darn minute here, a poster doesn't call another poster a dumbass until he runs it by me, especially not to my boy @Obinna

richard pryor comedian GIF

On 7/17/2024 at 2:02 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

In L.A. with the Bournemouth first team. Not the worst sign. 

afc-bournemouth-pre-season-training-sess

Play the mighty Wrexham in Santa Barbara at the weekend (20th).  Be interesting see if he gets minutes.

They got rid of Kiefer Moore, so right now they have Solanke and Unal as first team strikers.

Got the start tonight, down 1 at half vs Wrexham

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Was just on X looking at the Bournemouth match comments and lots of folks are saying that Solanke is going to Spurs.  That would definitely help Jebbo’s chances this season.   

Wouldn't help David with a Spurs move though:(

8 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Unrelated to anything of import, but it's nice to see that Bournmouth look to have binned the worst club crest in football history, Columbus Crew excluded, for the new season.

I was very confused.... I was,like, "Whose badge is that?" Decent change. 

1 hour ago, Onelessstar said:

I was very confused.... I was,like, "Whose badge is that?" Decent change. 

Same.  I really liked the "advertised" one. 

image.png.87d9b43317fb734c0a2e68bbe09e629a.png

Not sure about the red and gold one.  Doesn't take much to beat the old one though.  Even just a simple grey B in times new roman would be an upgrade.

13 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Unrelated to anything of import, but it's nice to see that Bournmouth look to have binned the worst club crest in football history, Columbus Crew excluded, for the new season.

Ok, now that's done..... on to Burton Albion now....

Edited by Onelessstar
Typo

Great to see him back on the pitch. Hopefully his health issues are behind him. I think our best case scenario is that he see’s regular minutes, plays well, but doesn’t necessarily blow the doors off. And of course most importantly that he stays healthy. 

I’m still bullish on David-Larin as our front 2. They’ve delivered on so many occasions for us over the years and their stats speak for themselves. Tani looks like a super sub and who knows what his ceiling is. Bair got his big move, and will need to continue to produce to be in the mix. JRR also knocking on the door. Jebbison, though, could* take us to another level. If he delivers anywhere near his potential as hyped online, he’s easily a top 4 striker for us. 

It's up to you Daniel Jebbison to follow your heart. Don't forget you're born in Canada. That's your country. You'll always be one of us. Never forget from which country you came from. 

And it's up to you Jesse Marsh to go meet with Daniel Jebbison and stay in contact with him on the phone. That's one of your duty as our national team coach.

Wasn't there some media stuff that Canada had a shirt set with his name for WC22 but that he pulled out at the last minute after pressure from his agent? Wish him well but I'm done with players who want to join us as their 2nd choice. Jebbo was born and raised in Canada unlike LDF who made the early decision to play for Canada. Millar another example of a young player making the commitment early when he was with Liverpool's youth teams.  

14 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Wasn't there some media stuff that Canada had a shirt set with his name for WC22 but that he pulled out at the last minute after pressure from his agent? Wish him well but I'm done with players who want to join us as their 2nd choice. Jebbo was born and raised in Canada unlike LDF who made the early decision to play for Canada. Millar another example of a young player making the commitment early when he was with Liverpool's youth teams.  

I don’t remember that but it’s plausible. English players are comically overrated/overpaid so from an agents perspective him becoming an England u21 player will add big $. Regardless though, him playing for Canada is going to happen.

2 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

Great to see him back on the pitch. Hopefully his health issues are behind him. I think our best case scenario is that he see’s regular minutes, plays well, but doesn’t necessarily blow the doors off. And of course most importantly that he stays healthy. 

I’m still bullish on David-Larin as our front 2. They’ve delivered on so many occasions for us over the years and their stats speak for themselves. Tani looks like a super sub and who knows what his ceiling is. Bair got his big move, and will need to continue to produce to be in the mix. JRR also knocking on the door. Jebbison, though, could* take us to another level. If he delivers anywhere near his potential as hyped online, he’s easily a top 4 striker for us. 

We need to stop with that IMO, it worked a little during WCQ in 2021 to early 2022 but it was pretty much nullified by every team since then, and we played our best game in a 4-3-3 with one striker against Uruguay, and if the correct striker was actually on, we would have won that game clean by 70th minute. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I don’t remember that but it’s plausible. English players are comically overrated/overpaid so from an agents perspective him becoming an England u21 player will add big $. Regardless though, him playing for Canada is going to happen.

They are overpaid and therefore overated by silly sites because the league with the most money in the world requires a certain number of homegrown players to field a full squad. So they are paid a premium for.  Not really comical at all if you look at the basic business of it.

As far as the England u21s go 

The age cut off for the 2025 u21 Euros is Jan 1 2002.  Jebbison makes that.

The 2 true strikers that have been getting games recently do as well, so they provide a decent idea of what he would need to do to be in consideration. 

- Jay Stanfield - Fulham player, played most minutes on loan last season with Birmingham in the Championship, scoring 12 goal and adding a couple assists. 

- Liam Delap - New Ipswich player in the Premier League, was a Man City player who last played most of the season (decent injury in the middle) on loan at Hull.  Provided 8 goals and couple assists. 

18 hours ago, Macksam said:

We need to stop with that IMO, it worked a little during WCQ in 2021 to early 2022 but it was pretty much nullified by every team since then, and we played our best game in a 4-3-3 with one striker against Uruguay, and if the correct striker was actually on, we would have won that game clean by 70th minute. 

If this were a club team where players could be transferred in/out to fit a coaches preferred tactical identity, maybe it makes sense to break up the Larin-David partnership. The reality is, they have been two of our best players since pre-2022 and I have yet to see evidence that we’re better off dropping one, or playing one out of position. We don’t have the top end quality or depth in midfield beyond Eustaquio-Kone to justify dropping a striker for an additional midfielder. We also have that same issue in the wide attacking spaces (aside from Davies/Laryea overlaps). 

The other thing to keep in mind is that a formation is generally just a starting point. Most modern teams make tactical adjustments throughout a match and allow for fluidity, particularly in attacking patterns or pressing situations. I think we have enough data under Marsch to see that his preferred formation has a fixed back 4 with two central midfielders. The other positions are about pressing, which is why we look often looked like a 4-2-4. Now, the emergence of Cornelius-Bombito really gives us the defensive base for additional flexibility. In the Herdman-era, we were so top heavy that we needed to almost play three CB’s by default to protect their faults, particularly Victoria’s lack of pace. 

Of course we all see the missed chances or sloppy touches and demand for better. If they were more clinical in those moments, they’d be playing for top European clubs. They’re still two of our best players and, IMO, the player pool has yet to push them out of the starting 11.

Edited by FC_Hali

On 8/7/2024 at 7:21 AM, FC_Hali said:

If this were a club team where players could be transferred in/out to fit a coaches preferred tactical identity, maybe it makes sense to break up the Larin-David partnership. The reality is, they have been two of our best players since pre-2022 and I have yet to see evidence that we’re better off dropping one, or playing one out of position. We don’t have the top end quality or depth in midfield beyond Eustaquio-Kone to justify dropping a striker for an additional midfielder. We also have that same issue in the wide attacking spaces (aside from Davies/Laryea overlaps). 

How about the fact the partnership hasn't produced much lately outside of one give and go against TNT? Speaking of that match, Larin was completely invisible up until that point. I understand that for some forwards, patience is the name of the game and coasting through a match, waiting for and burying that one opportunity is all that's needed to call it a day, but if the results aren't there, you need to switch it up.

We actually do have the top-end quality depth to drop a striker considering our width is our biggest strength so playing with two traditional wingers is a pretty good alternative for us to try, and again, we played our best game of the tournament against Uruguay when doing this. Also, Staq wasn't even apart of that starting midfield so while I agree our midfield depth is not great, it's getting better and we have options to work with. 

Servicing our forwards has been the issue of late and if we are better off in a formation that allows us to service one striker six quality chances a match in lieu of a lineup where two strikers get serviced combined maybe one half chance, which tends to be an ugly opportunity against the run of play, we should go with the former. Also, this is not a slight against Larin, I think either him or JD would have put that Uruguay game beyond reach if they were given those opportunities, but again, they need to be given those opportunities and it is not happening when they are both on the field. 

Edited by Macksam