Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

It's not beyond the Super Eagles to choke on the road to the World Cup, just like they did last time versus Ghana.

@anthony7 is just a hater at this point. Hates everything about Osorio and claims the sky is falling if we play him, but then we give him heavy minutes at the Copa America and the team gets to the semi final. So, instead of demonstrating pleasure, he chooses to criticize how we played against Peru,.

Damn bro, can you lighten up? If you cannot be thrilled right now as a Canada supporter your rooting for the wrong national team. 

10 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Admittedly I haven't seen Nigeria, but right now it looks like a real question if they will even qualify for the WC

Get a proper coach in. Then build chemistry for 2026. Look what Morocco did in 6 months. Nigeria is solid. Getting someone like Tomori makes them legit

https://www.instagram.com/eaglestracker_ng/p/C8-EdhnOB1A/?hl=en&img_index=1

Edited by anthony7

5 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Admittedly I haven't seen Nigeria, but right now it looks like a real question if they will even qualify for the WC

I have watched a bunch of the excellent attackers they have in the squad and they have some very good central midfielders.  

I would be interested to hear from someone who knows them, what is going on elsewhere.

Is it a Jamaica-like situation?

2 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

Get a proper coach in. Then build chemistry for 2026. Look what Morocco did in 6 months. Nigeria is solid. Getting someone like Tomori makes them legit

https://www.instagram.com/eaglestracker_ng/p/C8-EdhnOB1A/?hl=en&img_index=1

If FIFA throws the rules it made 3 years ago out the window and Tomori could represent someone else, are you hoping for Canada or Nigeria?

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I have watched a bunch of the excellent attackers they have in the squad and they have some very good central midfielders.  

I would be interested to hear from someone who knows them, what is going on elsewhere.

Is it a Jamaica-like situation?

Wouldn't say I am a "former" fan, but I follow them much less nowadays, and I guess they remain my default number 2 team. 

Despite not watching any of their games this cycle, I can say with confidence that Nigeria's DNA is to be direct and powerful going forward, mixed with skill and creativity in the midfield. The backline however is always the concern, not for a lack of talent but a lack of discipline. Not sure how much has changed, if anything. 

Is it a Jamaica-like situation? What do you mean by that? Are you talking about a dysfunctional FA? Are you talking about profile of the team? Are you talking about dual nationals? Nigeria always have some dual brits sprinkled in thanks to colonial links, but they aren't dependent on it like Jamaica are. The FA is not perfect, but hasn't been an issue in the way it's been for Jamaica. Style wise there are probably some similarities in how both teams traditional play, although Jamaica has never had an attacking midfielder like Jay-Jay Okocha. Then again, I am not sure Nigeria has had a player like that since, to be fair. 

Edited by Obinna

15 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

If FIFA throws the rules it made 3 years ago out the window and Tomori could represent someone else, are you hoping for Canada or Nigeria?

Obviously, Canada. He walks in as an automatic starter. Him in the mix would be excellent for the development of Cornelius & Bombito. Canada needs him significantly more than Nigeria. But if I’m looking at it from his perspective, in terms of winning, it’s a no brainer to go with Nigeria.

Edited by anthony7

Just now, anthony7 said:

Obviously, Canada. He walks in as an automatic starter. Him in the mix would be excellent for the development of Cornelius & Bombito. But if I’m looking at it from his perspective, in terms of winning, it’s no brainer to go with Nigeria.

Winning what? lol

I would put Canada's chances of lifting regional silverware ahead of Nigeria's. Concacaf is far less competitive than CAF.

Neither team is winning the world cup, so that's a wash.

Nigeria "may" qualify. Canada are qualified. 

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Wouldn't say I am a "former" fan, but I follow them much less nowadays, and I guess they remain my default number 2 team. 

Despite not watching any of their games this cycle, I can say with confidence that Nigeria's DNA is to be direct and powerful going forward, mixed with skill and creativity in the midfield. The backline however is always the concern, not for a lack of talent but a lack of discipline. Not sure how much has changed, if anything. 

Is it a Jamaica-like situation? What do you mean by that? Are you talking about a dysfunctional FA? Are you talking about profile of the team? Are you talking about dual nationals? Nigeria always have some dual brits sprinkled in thanks to colonial links, but they aren't dependent on it like Jamaica are. The FA is not perfect, but hasn't been an issue in the way it's been for Jamaica. Style wise there are probably some similarities in how both teams traditional play, although Jamaica has never had an attacking midfielder like Jay-Jay Okocha, although I am not sure Nigeria has had a player like that since, to be fair. 

I used to hate Jay-Jay but that was just because Bolton was a bogey team when we were getting relegated.  Pure class.

Jamaica just seems to be a lot less than the sum of the parts and I have seen the player do extremely well elsewhere.  Nigeria is at a higher level or at least been there for longer but seem to never pull the talent together completely. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Winning what? lol

I would put Canada's chances of lifting regional silverware ahead of Nigeria's. Concacaf is far less competitive than CAF.

Neither team is winning the world cup, so that's a wash.

Nigeria "may" qualify. Canada are qualified. 

AFCON, dumbass. Also, the potential to make noise in 2026 and be a legitimate dark horse. You’re an idiot. A lot of those African countries would destroy Canada right now.

Edited by anthony7

1 minute ago, anthony7 said:

AFCON, dumbass. Also, the potential to make noise in 2026 and be a legitimate dark horse.

read my post again slowly. 

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I used to hate Jay-Jay but that was just because Bolton was a bogey team when we were getting relegated.  Pure class.

Jamaica just seem to be a lot less than the sum of the parts and I have seen the player do extremely well.  Nigeria is at a higher level or at least been there for longer but seem to never pull the talent together completely. 

There have been times in history it's came together. The AFCON title in 2013 for instance, with John Obi Mikel at the centre of it all. Then, historically you have the duals with Argentina over the years, with Nigeria being their bogey team (speaking of bogey teams). 

But yes, given the sheer about of talent Nigeria produces they underachieve. Just a theory, but I think a lack of "unity" is something that's hampered them. That's a wider issue when it comes to Nigeria that spills into the football, I think. 

On the opposite side of the spectrum would be a team like Iceland. Small and humble, but homogeneus with most/all players developing in the Icelandic system, then getting exported to the continent. Nigeria is a massively populated country with 3 major ethnic groups (and hundreds of smaller ones) and they don't always get along, let's put it that way.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

read my post again slowly. 

There have been times in history it's came together. The AFCON title in 2013 for instance, with John Obi Mikel at the centre of it all. Then, historically you have the duals with Argentina over the years, with Nigeria being their bogey team (speaking of bogey teams). 

But yes, given the sheer about of talent Nigeria produces they underachieve. Just a theory, but I think a lack of "unity" is something that's hampered them. That's a wider issue when it comes to Nigeria that spills into the football, I think. 

On the opposite side of the spectrum would be a team like Iceland. Small and humble, but homogeneus with most/all players developing in the Icelandic system, then getting exported to the continent. Nigeria is a massively populated country with 3 major ethnic groups (and hundreds of smaller ones) and they don't always get along, let's put it that way.

Teams in AFCON are way better than teams in CONCACAF. You’re a complete idiot. The competition just doesn’t get the respect it deserves at this time.

41 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's not beyond the Super Eagles to choke on the road to the World Cup, just like they did last time versus Ghana.

@anthony7 is just a hater at this point. Hates everything about Osorio and claims the sky is falling if we play him, but then we give him heavy minutes at the Copa America and the team gets to the semi final. So, instead of demonstrating pleasure, he chooses to criticize how we played against Peru,.

Damn bro, can you lighten up? If you cannot be thrilled right now as a Canada supporter your rooting for the wrong national team. 

Guy was a passenger overall throughout this tournament. The stats backed it up against Venezuela. The issue is this fraud is getting picked over someone like Choinere who is more than deserving of the opportunity. Guys like Choinere & Ahmed are rotting on the bench time after time. While this fraud plays. You literally saw Tuesday night, when both of them came on, better chances were created.

You need to shut your dumbass up because it’s your way of thinking as to why this country can’t take that next step in development.

Edited by anthony7

Just now, anthony7 said:

Guy was a passenger overall throughout this tournament. The issue is this fraud is getting picked over someone like Choinere who is more than deserving of the opportunity. Guys like Choinere & Ahmed are rotting on the bench time after time. While this fraud plays. You literally saw Tuesday night, when both of them came on, better chances were created.

You need to shut your dumbass up because it’s your way of thinking as to why this country can’t take that next step in development.

I thought Oso had a decent tournament, nothing amazing but played solid games enough.

On a side note I think you can get through whatever is going on in your life. This ain’t the place to vent though

54 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Didn't you hear? Osorio will likely be out of the picture by 2026. We'll be world beaters!

Hey, at least will have better chance of being successful. 👍

20 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

Teams in AFCON are way better than teams in CONCACAF. You’re a complete idiot. The competition just doesn’t get the respect it deserves at this time.

It's an interesting question.  

Not sure anyone would argue that CAF doesn't have massively more depth.  They have a lot more decently sized countries for one. 

Top end is where you can argue.

Top 16 finishes at the World Cup (since 1986) - CONCACAF - 15 CAF - 10

Top 8  - 3 vs. 4

Top 4 - 0 vs. 1

(The 1986 mark does cut off a few CONCACAF finishes in the last two categories but not sure they are relelvant.)

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 minute ago, Fullback said:

I thought Oso had a decent tournament, nothing amazing but played solid games enough.

On a side note I think you can get through whatever is going on in your life. This ain’t the place to vent though

Mediocre at best. 

I'm actually thrilled with how Choinere played last match. Very postitive development. He's earned more minutes in my books and I believe he's one of those who Marsch was referring to post-match when he spoke about how one or two guys may play from the start next match.

I'm also thrilled Marsch has gotten something out of Osorio. He's been helpful during this tournament and allowed us bench/rest Kone. We needed a trusted hand in that moment and Oso delivered.

In time these minutes will go to Choinere as he gains experience and trust. Osorio will be phased out in due course, father time is undefeated. 

Africa has 54 nations with teams, it’s farcical and lazy to say “they’re better than concacaf” because both our regions have a massive swing of teams.

Not to shit on Nigeria to make a point about Canada, but they’re currently fifth in their WCQ group. The teams ahead of them and their fifa rankings include: Rwanda (#131), South Africa (#59), Benin (#91), Lesotho (#141), and they are one point ahead of Zimbabwe (#129). RSA would be the 7th best team in concacaf, and all of the others would be mixed in with the smaller Caribbean nations. Canada is objectively a better team than Nigeria right now, full stop.

Hope they do turn it around though. Don’t know how close this is to a golden generation, but they have so many talented players it would be a shame for them not to make something happen at the World Cup (or even just AFCON)

20 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

Instead of just mudslinging maybe re-read what was originally said. You also don't need to attack people who you perceive to have a different opinion than you

43 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

But if I’m looking at it from his perspective, in terms of winning, it’s a no brainer to go with Nigeria.

38 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Winning what? lol

AFCON teams having more teams that are more competitive relative to CONCACAF teams is exactly what makes winning a continental competition harder for Nigeria than it does for Canada

16 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Africa has 54 nations with teams, it’s farcical and lazy to say “they’re better than concacaf” because both our regions have a massive swing of teams.

Not to shit on Nigeria to make a point about Canada, but they’re currently fifth in their WCQ group. The teams ahead of them and their fifa rankings include: Rwanda (#131), South Africa (#59), Benin (#91), Lesotho (#141), and they are one point ahead of Zimbabwe (#129). RSA would be the 7th best team in concacaf, and all of the others would be mixed in with the smaller Caribbean nations. Canada is objectively a better team than Nigeria right now, full stop.

Hope they do turn it around though. Don’t know how close this is to a golden generation, but they have so many talented players it would be a shame for them not to make something happen at the World Cup (or even just AFCON)

I get what you're saying, but does this really require nuance? It's pretty simple to say CAF is a stronger confederation than CONCACAF and leave it at that. Yes, both confederations have their share of minnows. And yes, I would say Canada is in a better place than Nigeria, even though Nigeria is stronger and deeper on paper. 

I stand by my prediction Canada wins regional silverware before Nigeria does. The field of realistic challengers for AFCON can be anyone from Egypt to Ghana to Ivory Coast to Senegal to Morocco to Cameroon.....and yes to Nigeria....they'll always be in the mix. A team like Mali could surprise as well, hell even RSA. Didn't even mention the likes of Algeria and Tunisia.

In CONCACAF you basically have USA, Mexico and Canada, with Panama as a dark horse. If you really want to stretch it you could say Costa Rica. 

Edit: I will be fair to Jamaica and add them here too, but I think they would be heavy long shots to win anything with how dysfunctional they are.

Still more top-end depth in Africa. Still more chance Canada wins anything before Nigeria, imo.

Edit: I wouldn't call this a golden generation for Nigeria. The term is getting way overused lately. What's golden about a generation that hasn't won anything? 

Also, on paper this is a talented Nigeria team, but Nigeria have always been talented on paper. I guess we can look at the pool and club affiliations and say it's particularly deep, but that's what we say about the USMNT....

Edited by Obinna

22 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

They certainly have a golden generation of attackers  

Osimhen 

Boniface
Chukwueze
Lookman
Alex Iwobi
Moffi
Taiwo Awoniyi
even Onuachu, Iheanacho, and Nathan Tella

Those are just the ones I know.

From looking, they might have less depth that we do in defence.  

13 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Osimhen 

Boniface
Chukwueze
Lookman
Alex Iwobi
Moffi
Taiwo Awoniyi

The Nigeria job would be a very attractive option right now. They got 2 years to get their shit together and get more dual nats. 2026 could be huge for them. Mourinho taking that job would have been an absolute dream for them.

Edited by anthony7

28 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I get what you're saying, but does this really require nuance? It's pretty simple to say CAF is a stronger confederation than CONCACAF and leave it at that. Yes, both confederations have their share of minnows. And yes, I would say Canada is in a better place than Nigeria, even though Nigeria is stronger and deeper on paper. 

I stand by my prediction Canada wins regional silverware before Nigeria does. The field of realistic challengers for AFCON can be anyone from Egypt to Ghana to Ivory Coast to Senegal to Morocco to Cameroon.....and yes to Nigeria....they'll always be in the mix. A team like Mali could surprise as well, hell even RSA. Didn't even mention the likes of Algeria and Tunisia.

In CONCACAF you basically have USA, Mexico and Canada, with Panama as a dark horse. If you really want to stretch it you could say Costa Rica. 

Edit: I will be fair to Jamaica and add them here too, but I think they would be heavy long shots to win anything with how dysfunctional they are.

Still more top-end depth in Africa. Still more chance Canada wins anything before Nigeria, imo.

Edit: I wouldn't call this a golden generation for Nigeria. The term is getting way overused lately. What's golden about a generation that hasn't won anything? 

Also, on paper this is a talented Nigeria team, but Nigeria have always been talented on paper. I guess we can look at the pool and club affiliations and say it's particularly deep, but that's what we say about the USMNT....

It's lazy because Nigeria isn't struggling against those teams that are better than the concacaf ones, they're struggling against Benin and Mali and South Africa. I agree they have much more top end talent than us, but Nigeria's in-conference performances as of late should not convince you that they are a better team than us. Even during their very recent AFON finals run, they beat one single team ranked higher than Canada- CIV, who then beat them in the finals and dropped points against weaker teams. 

I agree that we will probably win a trophy before Nigeria does, but I think you're slightly discrediting the talent we have in our conference- Panama just beat the US, at home, in a must win game. Jamaica is in disarray, but look how quickly we've turned things around. 

Guess my issue was more that "CAF teams are way better than CONCACAF teams" is a lazy way of looking at things, because (typically) to win in either conference, you need to pick up your points against the really poor teams, and you need to knock out certified world class teams. 

RE: golden generation, my definition is "assembly of talent that a country hasn't seen in a generation, and isn't guaranteed to replenish itself once these guys retire". Canada has a golden generation because we've never had these sorts of players before, and while I do think our days of being 94th ranked, losing to Bonnaire are behind us, we still don't know what the post-Davies era for Canada will look like, or whether we're going to be able to produce this level of talent to replace these guys down the line (probably a question for 2032 at the earliest anyways). Nigeria has Oshimen, Lookman, Bonniface, Chukwueze, Bassey, etc. I don't know enough about Nigerian ball to know if this is the generation they *have* to make it happen with, or whether they're liable to develop this level of player again and again once these guys retire from their NT. 

5 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Osimhen 

Boniface
Chukwueze
Lookman
Alex Iwobi
Moffi
Taiwo Awoniyi

Nigeria are always top-heavy, kind of like we've been in recent years. The depth is particular impressive at the moment.

Re defense:

If you're looking at the most recent roster, note that Eustaquio's Porto teammate Sansui is not there. He's a good player. Ola Aina you may know from Forest is another one. Veterans Omeruo (Kasimpasa) and Troost-Ekong (PAOK) are not included. Then you have guys at teams like Empoli, Cardiff, Luton, Gent and Hoffenheim I am either unfamiliar with or barely familiar with, so I can't give commentary, but those first four all would all likely make a Canadian best 18. None of them are in the most recent selection.

To bring it back to the attack, if I compare with the 2013 AFCON winning team, Ahmed Musa was in his prime tearing up Russia with CSKA Moscow and playing in Champions League. Emmanuel Emenike the same for Spartak Moscow. Victor Moses was a squad player for Chelsea, not dissimilar to how Chukwuesze is a squad player for Milan right now. Brown Ideye was scoring tons of goals for a strong Dynamo Kyiv and was also playing Champions League. Ike Uche was the main goal threat at Villarreal and he was coming off the bench. 

It would be disingenuious to claim any of them were Victor Osimhen level or status, but after that I question if there's much difference. Victor Boniface had himself a season at Bayer Leverkusen, Lookman was pretty awesome with Atalanta, Moffi had another productive season at Nice. Tella (who I am not familiar with at all) looks to have logged good stats with Bayer Leverkusen. Man-mountain Paul Onuachu tore up Turkey with Fenerbahce. ...

Anyway, if we are comparing the strike forces between now and back then, and if we remove Victor Osimhen, it's pretty comparable on paper I would say.