Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Jebbison is still young and realistically 2026 is probably the best time we can bring him in

At this point it’s a head scratcher for me. He could be potentially going to back to back World Cups with Canada. 

Him holding out for England has gotta just be the hopeful financial gain, because for sporting reasons it doesn’t make sense even if he’s “betting on himself”.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

At this point it’s a head scratcher for me. He could be potentially going to back to back World Cups with Canada. 

Him holding out for England has gotta just be the hopeful financial gain, because for sporting reasons it doesn’t make sense even if he’s “betting on himself”.

Him being English and feeling English, like the rest of his family, ain't a factor then? 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Him being English and feeling English, like the rest of his family, ain't a factor then? 

No it's not. I'm not buying these takes.

He's Canadian, and the family (growing up in Toronto) is probably more Jamaican than English, he just like Arfield, was able to take advantage of his heritage for his personal sporting gain, and there is nothing wrong with that!

Daniel has lived the majority of his life in Canada (albeit short), and you'e going to tell me he feels more English than Canadian? The older he get's and the longer he's there sure, but right now I'm sure he feels Canadian.

As for the family, his father spent majority of his life in Canada, going to high school, post-secondary, and working for several years in Canada. His mother albeit born in England spent majority of her life in Canada, going to high school, post-secondary, and working for several years in Canada. Both parents I'll assume are well into their 50's.

So that "feeling ish" is nonsense, and it's just down to opportunity that still presents itself.  His story is no different from Jackson, or Hoilett. If England gave them the opportunity they too would've taken it. Jebbison is just being stroked softly by England right now till he becomes a phenom or irrelevant.

image.thumb.png.52e54f212adad2cb5f0d9b6a72109efe.png

Edited by Shway
removed not from the mother sentence

Just like Koleosho, we could bring him to the World Cup for a cap tie, but I think you could make the argument Koleosho would have an easier time getting minutes in our side than Jebbison right now. He's not ahead of David, Larin, Ugbo or Cavallini. Akinola is another competitor as well. At least with Koleosho you could fit him in on either flank.

That's not to say I wouldn't call Jebbison in a heart beat, or that John Herdman wouldn't either, but if you are Jebbison and you have even the slightest inkling you could be part of England's future generation, you're unlikely to give that up for a chance to maybe sit on the bench behind 4 other number 9s. 

I agree with Narduch. Jebbison is 3-4 years away. Once he ages out of England youth teams, he'll have a real decision to make, but not before. 

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

Has Jebbison ever mentioned anything about actually wanting to play for Canada?

I find these situations the worst, it’s not like Tomori who lived in England his whole life. Jebbison, Flores, & Mitrovic were all raised in Canada, but they all look elsewhere for success.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Just like Koleosho, we could bring him to the World Cup for a cap tie, but I think you could make the argument Koleosho would have an easier time getting minutes in our side than Jebbison right now. He's not ahead of David, Larin, Ugbo or Cavallini. Akinola is another competitor as well. At least with Koleosho you could fit him in on either flank.

That's not to say I wouldn't call Jebbison in a heart beat, or that John Herdman wouldn't either, but if you are Jebbison and you have even the slightest inkling you could be part of England's future generation, you're unlikely to give that up for a chance to maybe sit on the bench behind 4 other number 9s. 

I agree with Narduch. Jebbison is 3-4 years away. Once he ages out of England youth teams, he'll have a real decision to make, but not before. 

While I agree with the competition aspect that Jebbison has, I will say he brings something different than a lot of those guys. His size and speed is the obvious.

The argument of Koleosho having an easier time getting minutes in the side, I don't agree with. 
We have a lot of wing/wide options vs number 9's. JD, and Larin aren't guys who I would classify as classic #9's. Ugbo, Cavallini, and Akinola yes. Compare Jebbison to those guys and it's different conversation. (more so Akinola vs Jebbison)

The guy who I think would have it the easiest would be Mitrovic...but that's another story. 

Edited by Shway

56 minutes ago, Shway said:

While I agree with the competition aspect that Jebbison has, I will say he brings something different than a lot of those guys. His size and speed is the obvious.

The argument of Koleosho having an easier time getting minutes in the side, I don't agree with. 
We have a lot of wing/wide options vs number 9's. JD, and Larin aren't guys who I would classify as classic #9's. Ugbo, Cavallini, and Akinola yes. Compare Jebbison to those guys and it's different conversation. (more so Akinola vs Jebbison)

The guy who I think would have it the easiest would be Mitrovic...but that's another story. 

Agreed on Jebbison having different attributes.

Yes, David and Larin aren't pure 9s, but I see them in our "9 pool", along with Ugbo and Cavallini, who better fit the definition of 9. For all intents and purposes, I think it's fair to say Jebbison would be no. 5 in that group, no? Potentially he's 6 behind Akinola. Either way, perhaps we should look past the fact David and Larin aren't real 9s, because for Canada they play as 9s. They seldom play elsewhere. Maybe that changes in the future, but for this conversation I am just considering the present.

As for Koleosho, the wing options are Davies, Buchanan, Millar, and Richie on occasion. There's also Corbeanu and Nelson, though it's arguable whether either has the ceiling Koleosho has. Despite that, I am happy to call him the no. 7 winger option. The way I see it though, there's always two wingers (or wingbacks I guess) on the field, but when it comes to 9s, there's sometimes just one. That alone would limit the chances Jebbison has in comparison to Koleosho, I think.

Who's to say though, I suppose. I could just be splitting hairs comparing the two.

Perhaps more importantly, he's regularly playing youth games England, one of the best national sides in the world, unlike Koleosho. As much as I want to lock down Jebbison asap, I don't see why he'd throw in the towel with England, even with Qatar looming. It's not like he's going to play much, if at all.

He'd be giving up a lot potential possibility if he were to ditch England, whereas Koleosho doesn't really lose anything, if you know what I mean. And if Jebbison is ultimately going to play for us anyway (because let's face it, he's probably not good enough for England), what's the difference between committing now versus 3 years down the road? An extra world cup (where he won't play)?

I personally feel urgency to get him in, but I totally get why Jebbison wouldn't feel that way. I don't think it has anything to do with feeling English or Canadian or whatever. I think he's just doing the "smart" thing by seeing where his development goes. He's still just 19.

Edited by Obinna

It's better for Jebbo's soccer career to stay with England's youth teams at this point. More exposure playing vs Euro youth teams and more scouting eyes on him. I'm sure JH has spoken to him. If Ugbo is barely getting mins (other than the last game) it's unlikely he jumps ahead. Obviously this could change if Jebbo starts scoring & playing  consistently in Sept but time is short. 25 spots are probably spoken for (barring injuries) with the 26th a wild card selection.

4 hours ago, Shway said:

No it's not. I'm not buying these takes.

He's Canadian, and the family (growing up in Toronto) is probably more Jamaican than English, he just like Arfield, was able to take advantage of his heritage for his personal sporting gain, and there is nothing wrong with that!

Daniel has lived the majority of his life in Canada (albeit short), and you'e going to tell me he feels more English than Canadian? The older he get's and the longer he's there sure, but right now I'm sure he feels Canadian.

As for the family, his father spent majority of his life in Canada, going to high school, post-secondary, and working for several years in Canada. His mother albeit born in England spent majority of her life in Canada, going to high school, post-secondary, and working for several years in Canada. Both parents I'll assume are well into their 50's.

So that "feeling ish" is nonsense, and it's just down to opportunity that still presents itself.  His story is no different from Jackson, or Hoilett. If England gave them the opportunity they too would've taken it. Jebbison is just being stroked softly by England right now till he becomes a phenom or irrelevant.

image.thumb.png.52e54f212adad2cb5f0d9b6a72109efe.png

Maybe I'm confusing players, but wasn't it Jebbison with older brothers playing lower league in England? Or am I confused? 

That made me think his bonds with English football are stronger than what you're saying. 

From a cash standpoint right now England youth is more valuable then Canadian senior team.

it pains me to say it but a former England youth player will always have doors open because of the pedigree of what that player once was, it’s not the same for even a senior player for us. For the most part English youth players will have careers at any level I’d think…

8 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Did his profile ever have the Canadian flag? I don’t remember it being there 

pretty sure that it was fairly recently, yes.  However he did just post an image of himself in the England jersey, so it'd be kinda weird to boast being Canadian and wearing the three lions.  If i'm put myself in his shoes, I'd do the same, even if it was just temporary.