Vancouver Whitecaps 2021 Season

Big_M

5 hours ago, toontownman said:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2021/03/11/whitecaps-fc-name-ricardo-clark-first-team-assistant-coach

Also a great hire. Although the natural sceptic in me wonders if this is a Dos Santos hire or a Schuster hire.  Hopefully this is something Marc wanted as much as Axel and not a groomed position to put pressure on Dos Santos!

Cynically, I thought this was an "interim coach in waiting" hire but he could certainly provide Baldi with some guidance.  Still, I think this is a ownership/upper management/Axel decision instead of a move by MDS.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Bring on the #10. 

Doesn't feel right being this positive going into a season. 

It's that weird mix of...they've upgraded at a number of positions they needed to upgrade in, but not the most critical one. They've spent some money on Caicedo and Alexander. But with out that 10...man. I hope it works, or at least works well enough to get to the next transfer window.

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It's that weird mix of...they've upgraded at a number of positions they needed to upgrade in, but not the most critical one. They've spent some money on Caicedo and Alexander. But with out that 10...man. I hope it works, or at least works well enough to get to the next transfer window.

To quote Jagger and Richards:  you can't always get what you want but if you try sometmes, you just might find, you get what you need.

Edited by BearcatSA

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ruffian said:

This kind of statement about a homegrown player a lot of people are excited about could never make anyone look foolish in the future /s.

Nothing against him, just the reality for right now atleast.  Great to be excited about any young player with a deal, but I suggest to go and watch the player at training everyday and see the situation for yourselves

On 3/30/2021 at 2:24 PM, Footyeh said:

Nothing against him, just the reality for right now atleast.  Great to be excited about any young player with a deal, but I suggest to go and watch the player at training everyday and see the situation for yourselves

He’s impressed some and is in line for minutes.

56 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

He’s impressed some and is in line for minutes.

According to..who?

After watching majority of the sessions since camp opened, seeing his relationship with the staff and overall participation in the sessions.. I don't think so.  

As always, we will see.

Edited by Footyeh

1 minute ago, Footyeh said:

After watching majority of the sessions since camp opened, seeing his relationship with the staff and overall participation in the sessions.. I don't think so.  

As always, we will see.

I don’t see as much of them on Twitter but I’d seen him praised so I wouldn’t know.

Saw that Francois and Habibullah were among those making an impression, and that Shuster wanted to sign 1-2 youth players.

22 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

According to..who?

As always, we will see.

As you have watched the majority of sessions, it would be great if you could share your overall impressions including who is standing out and who is not.  And also if you could share anymore specifically on facchienieri, that would be also welcomed. 

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

As you have watched the majority of sessions, it would be great if you could share your overall impressions including who is standing out and who is not.  And also if you could share anymore specifically on facchienieri, that would be also welcomed. 

What I've heard through is that last years two homegrown signings were more club pushed and not backed by MDS.  This could obviously be false, but what I've seen in the trainings would seem to support it.  Facchienieri specifically in the first two weeks took part in the sessions as normal but was used sparingly in scrimmages.  There seemed to be a lot of shadow play work in the practices prior to all the internationals leaving.  The four CB's that got all the work were Ranko/Godoy/Cornelius/Rose.  In fact, one of the younger boys Campagna got a lot of reps both in RCB/RB.  

I'm not saying the kid isn't going to make it, just not likely he's ready yet.  Perhaps another loan will do wonders.  

As far as who's standing out, Gutierrez, Baldisimo and Cornelius were very good and the latter two displayed their form in the Olympic Qualifiers.  The academy boys that stood out were Campagna as mentioned and Habibullah.  Didn't get to see much but thought Keishan Francois was okay as well as Abraham Jones.  

14 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

What I've heard through is that last years two homegrown signings were more club pushed and not backed by MDS. 

Which one?  I can't recall but was Metcalfe the other signing with Facchienieri at the time or was it Pecile? Or Boehmer?  To whom are you referring?

Edited by BearcatSA

11 hours ago, Footyeh said:

What I've heard through is that last years two homegrown signings were more club pushed and not backed by MDS.  This could obviously be false, but what I've seen in the trainings would seem to support it.  Facchienieri specifically in the first two weeks took part in the sessions as normal but was used sparingly in scrimmages.  There seemed to be a lot of shadow play work in the practices prior to all the internationals leaving.  The four CB's that got all the work were Ranko/Godoy/Cornelius/Rose.  In fact, one of the younger boys Campagna got a lot of reps both in RCB/RB.  

I'm not saying the kid isn't going to make it, just not likely he's ready yet.  Perhaps another loan will do wonders.  

As far as who's standing out, Gutierrez, Baldisimo and Cornelius were very good and the latter two displayed their form in the Olympic Qualifiers.  The academy boys that stood out were Campagna as mentioned and Habibullah.  Didn't get to see much but thought Keishan Francois was okay as well as Abraham Jones.  

I had seen somewhere that the 2 homegrowns were signed to prevent them from leaving as they had euro passports and interest.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

I had seen somewhere that the 2 homegrowns were signed to prevent them from leaving as they had euro passports and interest.

Possibly, but my opinion is that they weren't really in demand.  I don't think anyone is lining up to take them on loan either.  I like Pecile, if I'm comparing him to Metcalfe, I'll take Pecile given he's a few years younger and arguably a better skill set in the middle.

28 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Possibly, but my opinion is that they weren't really in demand.  I don't think anyone is lining up to take them on loan either.  I like Pecile, if I'm comparing him to Metcalfe, I'll take Pecile given he's a few years younger and arguably a better skill set in the middle.

I don’t think they weren’t, you don’t pressure sign youth if there isn’t real concern.