Ralph Priso

Shway

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2024 at 7:58 PM, BearcatSA said:

Last season, he had 26 appearances, including 11 starts and over a 1000 minutes of action.  I guess we'll have to see what he brings (or doesn't bring) to the table this season in his new surroundings.

If Laborda is starting ahead of you as a  central midfielder, you are "just a guy" at this point.

7 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

If Laborda is starting ahead of you as a  central midfielder, you are "just a guy" at this point.

Has not looked good in limited viewings this season. Had such high hopes for him. He looked great when he first came up for TFC. Never the same after that injury.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, saladroit said:

subbed off at halftime against club tijuana, calling him a passenger in midfield would be generous

Looks very poor at the moment.  Granted, Tijuana looked all-world in that first half and a number of other Caps looked like they were participating in an underwater tai chi class, but his play was particularly noticeable for the wrong reasons.

I think he is washing out at this level.

It is disappointing considering the potential he seemed to show in his earliest TFC days.  I really thought he would push on to bigger and better things.  

He just turned 22 a couple of days ago (HBD!) so there is still time to turn things around - but he is no longer a young prospect.  He has to do whatever is needed to transition into a mature pro player. 

49 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is disappointing considering the potential he seemed to show in his earliest TFC days.  I really thought he would push on to bigger and better things.  

He just turned 22 a couple of days ago (HBD!) so there is still time to turn things around - but he is no longer a young prospect.  He has to do whatever is needed to transition into a mature pro player. 

You and others were always big on him and for good reason. I was big on him as well, but I cautioned years ago that when it comes to Priso, it's not guaranteed that he will come back strong from a major injury, even with him being a young player.

It's not just "technically" being fit, it's also the disruption to the development when you are out for 6-9 months at a crucial age.

Then, we must factor in the mental hurdles these guys must get past in order to get back to their best.

A young guy can get derailed with something as minor as a coaching change, never mind a significant injury. Players need the ideal circumstances, which is sometimes down to fortune, to flourish, and injury is one of the worst things to throw that off.

I often think of Larin when it comes to this kind of fortune.

Sure, one may argue he was going to kind his way no matter what, but I think he would never have reached these heights had things not worked out in his favour.

He started as a bench player in his rookie season, behind a young Honduran DP named Rochez, but 4 or 5 games in and the Honduran suffered an injury and Larin got his chance. He scored pretty much right away, which gave him another chance the following game, which he put away again.

The rest is history. He has gone on to be one of the top CONCACAF striker exports of all time. Rochez meanwhile had to claw and scrape to forge a decent pro career, which he has done to his credit, scoring a lot of goals in the Portuguese 2nd Division and earning some Honduran caps, but he never became the star that Larin is. And considering who was the young DP back in the early Orlando days, and who was the preferred choice when both these young men started out at Orlando, you're money would have been Rochez going on to greatness, whereas Larin (a product of NCAA) would have been the gamble.

Anyway, that was long winded. I agree that Prison now has to try and claw and scrape out a good pro career.. it's a shame but that's where he is at.

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Looks very poor at the moment.  Granted, Tijuana looked all-world in that first half and a number of other Caps looked like they were participating in an underwater tai chi class, but his play was particularly noticeable for the wrong reasons.

I think Tijuana looked similar to the Whitecaps - getting themselves in to positions, but then completely flubbing the finish.

On their only goal, it was Priso who didn't track back properly and it was his man who scored.  I got the idea of trading for him earlier this year and giving him the opportunity, but it's just not working.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

the whole team was definitely lacking in that first half but priso was noticeably huffing and puffing half an hour into the game; nevermind his lack of on-ball value, even his fitness seems to be way below the baseline compared to his teammates

1 hour ago, saladroit said:

the whole team was definitely lacking in that first half but priso was noticeably huffing and puffing half an hour into the game; nevermind his lack of on-ball value, even his fitness seems to be way below the baseline compared to his teammates

I saw the exact same as you.

When I saw him come on as a sub for the Rapids in Vancouver a couple of seasons ago, I thought that he looked sharp in his overall play in his extended appearance but the very few times I have seen him with the Caps he just looks off the pace. 

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Anyway, that was long winded. I agree that Prison now has to try and claw and scrape out a good pro career.. it's a shame but that's where he is at.

There are times when spell-check makes it all wrong, and times when it makes it better (see above).

2 hours ago, GasPed said:

There are times when spell-check makes it all wrong, and times when it makes it better (see above).

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

I agree that Prison 

I was like "Geez, chill @Obinna, he's not playing that great, but prison is a stretch....'

4 hours ago, GasPed said:

The funny thing is I actually went over it once and made some edits. Kinda wish I had left the original now haha

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

The beginning of the end for Priso seemed to be those injuries he suffered a few years back at TFC.  I believe the initial injury or the reaggravated injury was on a play that was a delayed offside on a clearly offside play.

Agree.  Best move for him would be CPL, play regularly, find a coach that believes in him and try to re-find his mojo.  He missed a lot of development years and his confidence in his ability as well as his body is probably really low.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Agree.  Best move for him would be CPL, play regularly, find a coach that believes in him and try to re-find his mojo.  He missed a lot of development years and his confidence in his ability as well as his body is probably really low.

Or he's the next Bekker and he just carves himself out a career in CPL.

14 hours ago, Corazon said:

The beginning of the end for Priso seemed to be those injuries he suffered a few years back at TFC.  I believe the initial injury or the reaggravated injury was on a play that was a delayed offside on a clearly offside play.

He actually was injured further up the pitch on a nasty challenge and still ran back in an attempt to thwart a goal when the offside flag came up, he confirmed this when I asked him about it!