Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

I guess my copy / paste of the cons that @dyslexic nam posted upon news of his loan to Cavalry didn't hit....

After what was, quite frankly, a disappointing stint in CPL, Dias has a chance to get some confidence back at the level he was previously at. Maybe the Portuguese 3rd division better suits his playing style, or maybe it further exposes that he isn't anywhere near the level of the first team, and the national team.

At this point, it's time for him to show that he's worth the hype. 

1 minute ago, shermanator said:

I guess my copy / paste of the cons that @dyslexic nam posted upon news of his loan to Cavalry didn't hit....

After what was, quite frankly, a disappointing stint in CPL, Dias has a chance to get some confidence back at the level he was previously at. Maybe the Portuguese 3rd division better suits his playing style, or maybe it further exposes that he isn't anywhere near the level of the first team, and the national team.

At this point, it's time for him to show that he's worth the hype. 

I thought he would have more of an impact in CPL but it goes to show that the transition to a fully pro league from a youth structure can be challenging regardless of the league level. 

I do hope he can find his groove back in Portugal.  I think we have seen a few examples where people just need to get into the right environment for them and they can flourish.   

13 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

If he is still on the books at Sporting, why not play for Sporting B? They seem to play in the same league as 1.º de Dezembro...

Seems like Sporting don't see him as part of the future, so why give him minutes over someone they do rate?

It's been obvious for over a year now that he had no future with Sporting.

1 Dezembro is the club in Sintra that Alex Bunbury invested in 6 years ago. The idea was to help them build infrastructure, training facilities, so that now it has a pro structure. No idea if they are still involved, if it is a controlling interest. The other Canadian investor involved acc reports was Rajat Opal of Gazoo.

As I don't think they've focused on Canadians, I am not sure it is an especially Canadian angle in this case.

4 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Their "stadium" apparently has capacity of 1000....

They were supposed to reno the stadium, didn't get to it, or maybe the Canadian and other investment did not arrive, and I think as recently as last year or previously were playing over a 100 km away, because the existing facility did not meet Portugal pro standards you'd need for 3rd tier.

Sintra is the site of the former royal palace, a typical tourist visit in the hills, with a population base as it has a large surface area, so it's a shame they can't even attend to the local fanbase.