Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

9 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

How's he been? Haven't watched much CPL this year.

It feels like CPL is his level which has disappointed many who wrote in this thread, as I think they had unreasonably high expectations for him; many expected him to be dominant and simply a class above.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

6 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

How's he been? Haven't watched much CPL this year.

It depends on your expectations. If you were disappointed that he was even loaned to CPL in the first place and expected him to dominate the league, you would not be happy. If you were expecting someone playing their first pro minutes then his performance is probably more positive.

Personally, I didn't rate him but there were some moments where you could see his talent. He had a good showing against the Whitecaps and his ball that unlocked Aird leading to the Warschewski goal against Forge were the highlights. Outside of that it was a very rough showing. If we were to compare his loan spell with a previous loan spell in Jean-Aniel Assi it would be comparable in that there are flashes of a good player there but would argue neither lived up to the hype.

He's not Jose Hernandez level bad where people were audibly groaning when he entered the pitch, so there's that.

I would not be losing my shit if his loan was extended but I'd much rather see his minutes go to Mael Henry, who was very impressive last year in a similar role and more productive on the score sheet. Also excited to see what Myroniuk and Chanda can do for the club.

Edited by shermanator

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

It depends on your expectations. If you were disappointed that he was even loaned to CPL in the first place and expected him to dominate the league, you would not be happy. If you were expecting someone playing their first pro minutes then his performance is probably more positive.

Personally, I didn't rate him but there were some moments where you could see his talent. He had a good showing against the Whitecaps and his ball that unlocked Aird leading to the Warschewski goal against Forge were the highlights. Outside of that it was a very rough showing. If we were to compare his loan spell with a previous loan spell in Jean-Aniel Assi it would be comparable in that there are flashes of a good player there but would argue neither lived up to the hype.

He's not Jose Hernandez level bad where people were audibly groaning when he entered the pitch, so there's that.

I would not be losing my shit if his loan was extended but I'd much rather see his minutes go to Mael Henry, who was very impressive last year in a similar role and more productive on the score sheet. Also excited to see what Myroniuk and Chanda can do for the club.

Thank you for an honest review. Only watched a couple minutes of him this year and I just expected more. He is still very young so who knows. I am glad he is finally getting minutes.

But it puts into perspective of our hopes for LDF, McGill and JKL. Until they play in competitive games, it is so hard to understand their actual level. I am so happy that JKL is actually get League 2 minutes coming up. The other two need loans too

Edited by blueseeka

On 6/30/2024 at 7:16 PM, shermanator said:

You've probably watched more than me, but from what I have seen I wouldn't describe his showings as "rough".

Everything else in this post is very fair. You're first paragraph sums it up nicely. 

Personally, I am not very surprised nor am I disappointed per se. He is clearly talented, but this whole saga speaks to the value of first team football. It's all well and good to be in a top system like Sporting, but first team ball is different, even if the level is technically lower. 

21 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I think the thing people forget is that depending on the level and team system it may be hard for him to make plays…

he’s likely go attacking ideas that his teammates can’t fathom…. Sometimes you can’t produce because your teammates can’t match your playable or rhythm. 

Exactly this. It's not a video game. If he was a striker who finishes off plays, it's a little different. For a young, creative midfielder, you don't just walk into the team and expect to be on the same page. The other thing too is that he was on loan, so he was not their property. No real incentive to build the team around him, or anything like that. 

Overall I would describe the loan as a positive experience for him, just looking from the outside.