USA National Team Watch

Macksam

On 3/13/2024 at 5:37 PM, Kadenge said:

No Aidan Morris. Dude was crazy to accept the call to play in the GC. What was the hurry?  He would have been a starter at DM for Canada

He got called to their U23 team, who are playing friendlies to prep for the Olympics 

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, Cowtown Kyle said:

I only saw the score but looks like they lost 5-1 at home today. Anybody know what happened?

Colombia was really clinical. They had a laid back approach for most of the match but when they created a turnover, they went full throttle. 

For the US, lot of careless passing & dribbling in their half, Turner already looks past his prime and only a handful real chances created even though Colombia tactics should have made it easier. Crowd was 75% pro-Colombian in DC.

4 hours ago, 74 Whitecap said:

I watched the game, and the xg of roughly 2 for Brazil and roughly 1 for the US passed the eye test for me. Most likely outcome was probably 2-1 Brazil, but their finishing (as you noted) was poor.  The US definitely did not create better chances overall on the match, although I thought they played well for the most part. 

Brazil was carving up the US defense fairly often in the first half until the US fell back into a defensive posture.

Like France, I don't think Brazil was going at 100%, but still I saw some signs that would be worrying to me if I was a Brazil fan, especially after the US fell back. With the ball against the packed US defense, they didn't seem to have a lot of ideas and their perimeter shooting was woeful. Without the ball, they did press, but their press seemed disjointed without proper teamwork/intensity to make it effective. Have seen much better press execution in friendlies in recent days from Argentina and the Netherlands.

And with games against Paraguay and Costa Rica in the Copa, Brazil are going to see some stacked defences, so we'll see if they do a better job breaking them down than they did vs. the US (who, to their credit, I thought were well disciplined and organized in their low block, and fairly effective on counter in both halves).

As an aside, one bad thing about the US hosting games, is it means US Soccer posts the official highlights and they are the world's worst highlight makers. They managed to show 1 of Brazil's 24 shots in their highlights for the game yesterday (the goal), but even that was better when they posted the highlights for US 1 Canada 1 in World Cup qualifying and didn't even include Canada's goal in the highlights.

OK, a 2nd aside, it was a nice play the US ran for the free kick goal, but why use that in a friendly?

Better place to talk about this.

Giving Brazil 2 xG is generous. 1.63 when their highest xG moment was Vini’s miss at the end, where had he scored VAR would’ve called it back and it would’ve 0 xG. 2-1 Brazil would’ve been a fair result. So would’ve 2-1 US. That’s just the kind of game it was. Alisson’s save on Pulisic was far and away the best chance of the game. Then I’d probably say Rodygo’s chance, Aaronson’s chance, Pulisic’s chance=Rodrygo(?)’s chance, Endrick’s in that order. Most of Brazil’s shots were either weak chances as if they were trying to make a highlight real goal or difficult angles with defenders on their hip. It wasn’t that Brazil was finishing poorly, I think it was that they settled for anything really and that’s why they had 25 shots and 13 shots off target.

Carving seems a bit harsh. US was definitely on their heels though. 

Can’t speak on France as I didn’t watch that game. Although I did hear rave reviews on Kone. I haven’t seen a ton of him so I’m pretty interested in watching him in the Copa. Seems to have that ‘it’ factor. Just so we’re clear I’m not trying to compare those games or like hype up the US in any way. I wouldn’t come to a CMNT forum to do that. I enjoy different perspectives and just want to bring that. 

But yes 100% Brazil wasn’t giving it everything. They’re not going to burn up starters in a meaningless friendly. Brazil fans do seem very critical on Vini. He’s been rather poor for them. I thought their press was ok. The biggest difference in my eyes is that the US just handled it a lot better. It’s hard to really say what you can take out of a friendly. They really do miss Neymar though. 

Highlights are more on TNT/CBS/Fox or whoever carries the game. 

TBH with you I’m just happy we did something on a free kick lord knows we’d never score that in a meaningful game anyway.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A footie fan after my own heart: let's not argue over fotmob or xG, let's watch football and call it as we see it.

What is sad is that not only fans don't want to do it, it makes them panic when they see anyone giving a confident opinion about what they saw on the pitch. 

I mean, I appreciate FotMob and xG but they can’t just be used in a vacuum. FotMob is pretty good over an entire season of giving a general idea of how someone performed, as long as they were a starter. It’s definitely flawed but man is it so nice to be able to keep up with games that you can’t watch. XG is pretty useless IMO without xGot. But yes, the eye test trumps them all.

1 hour ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Better place to talk about this.

Giving Brazil 2 xG is generous. 1.63 when their highest xG moment was Vini’s miss at the end, where had he scored VAR would’ve called it back and it would’ve 0 xG. 2-1 Brazil would’ve been a fair result. So would’ve 2-1 US. That’s just the kind of game it was. Alisson’s save on Pulisic was far and away the best chance of the game. Then I’d probably say Rodygo’s chance, Aaronson’s chance, Pulisic’s chance=Rodrygo(?)’s chance, Endrick’s in that order. Most of Brazil’s shots were either weak chances as if they were trying to make a highlight real goal or difficult angles with defenders on their hip. It wasn’t that Brazil was finishing poorly, I think it was that they settled for anything really and that’s why they had 25 shots and 13 shots off target.

Carving seems a bit harsh. US was definitely on their heels though. 

Can’t speak on France as I didn’t watch that game. Although I did hear rave reviews on Kone. I haven’t seen a ton of him so I’m pretty interested in watching him in the Copa. Seems to have that ‘it’ factor. Just so we’re clear I’m not trying to compare those games or like hype up the US in any way. I wouldn’t come to a CMNT forum to do that. I enjoy different perspectives and just want to bring that. 

But yes 100% Brazil wasn’t giving it everything. They’re not going to burn up starters in a meaningless friendly. Brazil fans do seem very critical on Vini. He’s been rather poor for them. I thought their press was ok. The biggest difference in my eyes is that the US just handled it a lot better. It’s hard to really say what you can take out of a friendly. They really do miss Neymar though. 

Highlights are more on TNT/CBS/Fox or whoever carries the game. 

TBH with you I’m just happy we did something on a free kick lord knows we’d never score that in a meaningful game anyway.

I mean, I appreciate FotMob and xG but they can’t just be used in a vacuum. FotMob is pretty good over an entire season of giving a general idea of how someone performed, as long as they were a starter. It’s definitely flawed but man is it so nice to be able to keep up with games that you can’t watch. XG is pretty useless IMO without xGot. But yes, the eye test trumps them all.

Well Kone "bossed " Camavinga vs France, all raves, but 44 games for Watford and they weren't seeing the transfer offers rolling in. France seemed to pressure for a result, felt like they were dominating. but fact is they let us have the ball and we ended with 48% of possession.

Then Vinicius had his best year ever and is a top 5 player in the world, but Brazil is struggling in World Cup qualifying....maybe he should step up a lot more. 

The US: well you tend to compete and some players regularly show up, but I think the no 1 factor is you're playing at home and it distorts the team's results, which drop off drastically whenever you are not in US territory. If we didn't play Gold Cup in the US your Fifa ranking would be over 20. You even get GC draws gerrymandered in your favour. Maximum Fifa points for a continental competition every 2 years at home. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well Kone "bossed " Camavinga vs France, all raves, but 44 games for Watford and they weren't seeing the transfer offers rolling in. France seemed to pressure for a result, felt like they were dominating. but fact is they let us have the ball and we ended with 48% of possession.

Then Vinicius had his best year ever and is a top 5 player in the world, but Brazil is struggling in World Cup qualifying....maybe he should step up a lot more. 

The US: well you tend to compete and some players regularly show up, but I think the no 1 factor is you're playing at home and it distorts the team's results, which drop off drastically whenever you are not in US territory. If we didn't play Gold Cup in the US your Fifa ranking would be over 20. You even get GC draws gerrymandered in your favour. Maximum Fifa points for a continental competition every 2 years at home. 

Its interesting that in the ELO rankings the USA are 24th.

That's probably more realistic. 

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We did just draw England at the WC. It’s not like drawing against Brazil is some impossible feat. The fact that we got demolished by Colombia the previous game is pretty par for the course. GB does just enough so his seat never gets too hot in the eyes of USSF execs.

Have the GC in Mexico. Have the NLF in Canada I don’t care. There’s 2 things I want for the GC; good grass pitches and it to be every 4 years. I want to see the best of what CONCACAF has to offer. That means not playing in cow pastures or pools and not having the best teams not playing their best players. Frankly, the US aren’t going to be the ones hurting by the loss of money.

I also don’t care about FIFA rankings. The only time it’s ever mattered for us we got #5, #18, and #21. Had we moved down to pot 3 and there was no war in Ukraine, Wales would’ve moved to pot 2. It’s not like we had an unfair seeding. Just get to the WC, that’s all that really matters.

On 6/14/2024 at 6:59 PM, DrunkOffPunch said:

We did just draw England at the WC. It’s not like drawing against Brazil is some impossible feat. The fact that we got demolished by Colombia the previous game is pretty par for the course. GB does just enough so his seat never gets too hot in the eyes of USSF execs.

Have the GC in Mexico. Have the NLF in Canada I don’t care. There’s 2 things I want for the GC; good grass pitches and it to be every 4 years. I want to see the best of what CONCACAF has to offer. That means not playing in cow pastures or pools and not having the best teams not playing their best players. Frankly, the US aren’t going to be the ones hurting by the loss of money.

I also don’t care about FIFA rankings. The only time it’s ever mattered for us we got #5, #18, and #21. Had we moved down to pot 3 and there was no war in Ukraine, Wales would’ve moved to pot 2. It’s not like we had an unfair seeding. Just get to the WC, that’s all that really matters.

The States is 4W 7L 6T playing away from US territory going back to that Northern Ireland friendly. 4 wins in 17. Playing in the US improves results, raises Fifa ranking and improves seeding, all of which feeds back into doing well in group stages because the ranking is inflated and rivals are easier. That also explains why the States can miss a WC because they couldn't beat (draw really) Trinidad and Tobago away.

I'm sure the US could step up if they had to play more outside the States, maybe like Australia playing in Asia, but it wouldn't be automatic.

I appreciate Gold Cup is really more important for the teams 9-16 in CONCACAF, as it's a tournament to aspire to… but every two years now we have Nations League may be too much.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The States is 4W 7L 6T playing away from US territory going back to that Northern Ireland friendly. 4 wins in 17. Playing in the US improves results, raises Fifa ranking and improves seeding, all of which feeds back into doing well in group stages because the ranking is inflated and rivals are easier. That also explains why the States can miss a WC because they couldn't beat (draw really) Trinidad and Tobago away.

I'm sure the US could step up if they had to play more outside the States, maybe like Australia playing in Asia, but it wouldn't be automatic.

I appreciate Gold Cup is really more important for the teams 9-16 in CONCACAF, as it's a tournament to aspire to… but every two years now we have Nations League may be too much.

There’s only been 1 WC where our fifa ranking mattered. Again, if not for the war in Ukraine, Wales would’ve have been the highest rank team in pot 3. You could’ve put the US in pot 4 and we still could’ve got the same opponents. If not for Fifa taking bribe money the US would’ve been pot 1. 

• 2 weeks later...

With Venezia's promotion to Serie A, there will be 2 more Americans in the league next season: Busio and Tessmann. I'm not really familiar with the later, but it sounds like he had a great year in Serie B. He is the highest valued player on the squad and has been linked with a few larger Serie A clubs.

Just another midfielder probably in the way of Aidan Morris becoming a regular with the USMNT.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Should they fail to get through to the knockout stages if they fail to win tonight, and bets on when the official announcement for Bethalter's sacking will take place?

Tuesday, July 2nd, 11:00 AM EDT

Edited by BearcatSA

12 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Perhaps GB steps down before he is fired. If I was the USSF, I would allow him to do  that. 

Berhalter if he was smart, immediately after the game he should have tendered in his resignation but no. So yeah he's definitely getting fired.