USA National Team Watch

Macksam

8 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Meanwhile Josh Sargent has finally found his scoring boots with Norwich with 4 goals in 7 games

Elsewhere, Wright has 5 goals in 4 games with Antalyaspor and Pefok has 5 goal involvements in his first 5 games with Union Berlin.

Edited by phresh

It's like wack-a-mole. Their forwards start sorting themselves out and their top-two keepers start having problems. Go figure.

If things keep going the way they are, I think they call Pefok, Sargent and Ferreira to Qatar. 3 forwards scoring lots of goals in the Bundesliga, Championship, and MLS respectively. That's probably a better situation than during most of the qualifiers.   

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like USMNT have their own dual nat chase with England. This guy looks good with 5 goals and 2 assists for Stade De Reims in Ligue 1, ahead of our own Jonathan David. Will be interesting to see if they can get him to commit.  At least its a distraction for them with Koleosho

Edited by pod818

Off topic but... the U.S. have so many guys comparable to Koleosho who aren't in contention for a roster spot - that is, youngsters getting minutes here and there for big teams. If you look at who they're actually calling up, it tends to be more established guys at lower levels.

Say what you want about Berhalter's player selection, but aside from Scally, I think you'd be hard pressed to say they're snubbing any of their genuine prospects. I guess that's why I find it strange that people are penciling Koleosho into our World Cup lineup - we just don't know enough about him. What if he ends up being our equivelant of Otasowie?

1 hour ago, pod818 said:

Looks like USMNT have their own dual nat chase with England. This guy looks good with 5 goals and 2 assists for Stade De Reims in Ligue 1, ahead of our own Jonathan David. Will be interesting to see if they can get him to commit.  At least its a distraction for them with Koleosho

Awww, I wish our NT had the depth of the US NT 🥰

7 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

….we just don't know enough about him. What if he ends up being our equivelant of Otasowie?

And that’s fine. As long as he’s a member of our program, I don’t care how “he ends up”.

You can predict the future, but you can have players committed to the program. 

1 minute ago, SoCalTransport said:

I think our starting eleven is better, but wow they have a lot of depth…I find it interesting that they’re playing Saudi Arabia though.

I think it's so impressive that our top of the roster is better than the US' just figuring in the population difference and the fact that we're behind them in terms of soccer development, but I guess that 360 mil population base to choose from definitely helps you carry a long bench.

Also Saudi Arabia and the US are public allies, so it makes sense. Both Biden and Trump, and probably every leader before them has taken favourable photo ops with Saudi government officials. I mean hell, the king could've phoned up US Soccer and said "do this or it'll be 30 cents more per gallon by thanksgiving"

1 minute ago, Corazon said:

Only 26 players?  It feels like its an unwritten rule that Canada always brings the least amount of players every International window.  Therefore; confirmed - Canada will only be bringing in 25 players 😆

We will call 26 players but 3 of them will never really be at the camp due to injury 

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think it's so impressive that our top of the roster is better than the US' just figuring in the population difference and the fact that we're behind them in terms of soccer development, but I guess that 360 mil population base to choose from definitely helps you carry a long bench.

Also Saudi Arabia and the US are public allies, so it makes sense. Both Biden and Trump, and probably every leader before them has taken favourable photo ops with Saudi government officials. I mean hell, the king could've phoned up US Soccer and said "do this or it'll be 30 cents more per gallon by thanksgiving"

I know this is not a political forum, but the green energy movement in the western world, has to be putting a strain on these oil rich countries, I think @narduch said it right though, they are probably getting a huge pay check for that game.

1 minute ago, SoCalTransport said:

I know this is not a political forum, but the green energy movement in the western world, has to be putting a strain on these oil rich countries, I think @narduch said it right though, they are probably getting a huge pay check for that game.

I think it'll take decades, if ever, for oil producers like KSA to feel any of that burn- ultimately, oil is by far king, and KSA has shown that they aren't afraid to crack down on countries, including the US, who don't kiss the ring. Besides, the two countries engage in trade, KSA buys American weapons, etc. But I am sure that the states were the ones being paid and not the other way around, but beyond that, this isn't a Can v. Iran situation where Iran is considered a "hostile nation", US & KSA are buds, as unfortunate as that may be.