USA National Team Watch

Macksam

2 hours ago, narduch said:

The game wasn't a sell out.

And had a lot of Morroccan fans. Another key point was that of their last 7 home games, 4 of them were played in Ohio, and tickets were obviously overpriced. So the novelty has worn off especially for those small towns.

4 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Puli-slip doing his best to piss off his own fans for calling out American fans for low attendance last night… when US fed charges $100 + for most tickets to a friendly.  Our guys are so likeable compared to this bunch of entitled brats.  

I thought that callout could be directed to the federation for putting the game there...again.

3 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Puli-slip doing his best to piss off his own fans for calling out American fans for low attendance last night… when US fed charges $100 + for most tickets to a friendly.  Our guys are so likeable compared to this bunch of entitled brats.  

Not defending the attitude of the usa players (real or perceived), but want to point out that Moroccan fans paid the same price for those tickets as American fans, so to suggest the price is the culprit is a red hearing on the face of it.

But maybe Moroccans living in the USA have more disposable income than American soccer fans, or maybe the costs was worth it given the rare opportunity to see their team in North America, or maybe American fans are flooded with opportunities to see their team and don't see value at those prices, or perhaps a combination of all of these.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Not defending the attitude of the usa players (real or perceived), but want to point out that Moroccan fans paid the same price for those tickets as American fans, so to suggest the price is the culprit is a red hearing on the face of it.

But maybe Moroccans living in the USA have more disposable income than American soccer fans, or maybe the costs was worth it given the rare opportunity to see their team in North America, or maybe American fans are flooded with opportunities to see their team and don't see value at those prices, or perhaps a combination of all of these.

I think the ‘once in a lifetime’ opportunity is what would bring Moroccan fans out to the game at any cost. 
But I’m with the US fans on this one and celebrate their ‘boycott’.  There’s a huge difference between a qualifier and a friendly. The US Fed should stop trying to rip off the public to stuff their own pockets.  I’m worried that Canada will start to follow suit.  They should keep ticket prices for friendlies low enough to get new fans (kids and families) on board.  Use corporate sponsorships to stuff your own pockets.

Agree Moroccan fans living in the US are going to pay whatever price to see their team...but the US has played four times in Ohio since Oct....twice in Columbus and twice in Cincy....many US fans simply aren't going to pay that price for a friendly especially in this economy....its on the USSF for being greedy and going to the well one too many times....I imagine KC will have a strong crowd.....big name opponent and they haven't played in KC since the Gold Cup

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

I think the ‘once in a lifetime’ opportunity is what would bring Moroccan fans out to the game at any cost. 
But I’m with the US fans on this one and celebrate their ‘boycott’.  There’s a huge difference between a qualifier and a friendly. The US Fed should stop trying to rip off the public to stuff their own pockets.  I’m worried that Canada will start to follow suit.  They should keep ticket prices for friendlies low enough to get new fans (kids and families) on board.  Use corporate sponsorships to stuff your own pockets.

Agree and that's totally fair now that you've fleshed it out further. I think the USSF mispriced this one.

I do wonder if they have a behind the scenes commitment to play in that stadium? Why not play elsewhere at a fraction of the cost and double the capacity? That stadium has been getting a lot of games.

Even if the game was cheaper though, wouldn't you just get even more Morrocan fans who are desperate to see their team? From that perspective the price wouldn't have made a difference, know what I meam? Maybe USA fans would have snapped those up at cheaper prices, but I doubt it.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Agree and that's totally fair now that you've fleshed it out further. I think the USSF mispriced this one.

I do wonder if they have a behind the scenes commitment to play in that stadium? Why not play elsewhere at a fraction of the cost and double the capacity? That stadium has been getting a lot of games.

Even if the game was cheaper though, wouldn't you just get even more Morrocan fans who are desperate to see their team? From that perspective the price wouldn't have made a difference, know what I meam? Maybe USA fans would have snapped those up at cheaper prices, but I doubt it.

There were over 6k empty seats. USSF has been over pricing games for a long time. 

Pulisic is calling out USSF pricing, location choices, and a lack of fan support. 

These comments can be carried over to Canada's matches vs Panama & Curacao given the ticket sales as of now. -_-

Pulisic: “Fans need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and prioritize debt elimination so they can attend USMNT games,” 

“Millennials are constantly getting into debt from their student loans to ivy league schools to their avocado toast to their useless expenditures for boutique coffee. What we are seeing is their inability to save for necessary expenditures like tickets to a meaningless game against Morocco on a Wednesday night.”

"They need to spend less at the grocery store and more at Ticketmaster. What are groceries right now? £50 a month delivered? Maybe they should stop driving as much and take the train to work. Maybe they should consider having their personal assistant take a pay cut. Maybe they should stop spending all their money on frappe latte’s at Starbucks so they could afford to cancel all their credit card debt. Seriously, what are their financial advisors telling them to do with their bond and security investments that they can’t pay off their bills by just cutting a television promo for a Chipotle.”

Pulisic suggests every fan earmark additional funds from their offshore accounts in tax havens for future USMNT games.

https://www.thenutmegnews.com/current/2022/6/2/christian-pulisic-blames-millennials-for-killing-usmnt-fanbase

On 6/1/2022 at 9:23 PM, Joe1973 said:

The US is definitely looking better. It's a good team if they get their chemistry right. Morocco has individual talent but the chemistry within team is crap. There is so much gripe with the coach, so against this team if we play well as a unit 3 points are attainable. Gotta neutralize Hakimi of course

I'm going to assume there might also be a disconnect between the players born and raised in Europe and those born and raised in Morocco. 

theres no such disconnect...even from those raised in morocco who are in the national team, many are now playing abroad...theres very few playing locally and they are mostly if not all backups...where its difficult is getting chemistry and a certain playing style with players coming from all over

58 minutes ago, Big_M said:

theres no such disconnect...even from those raised in morocco who are in the national team, many are now playing abroad...theres very few playing locally and they are mostly if not all backups...where its difficult is getting chemistry and a certain playing style with players coming from all over

I just watched the first half, but stylistically they seemed to mesh together well. Similar to how Mexicans all play the same way (not saying they play like Mexico, just an example). I find teams like the USA and Canada have more variety in the type of players we have, if you know what I mean.

Are speaking more in terms of things like patterns of play, for example?

36 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I just watched the first half, but stylistically they seemed to mesh together well. Similar to how Mexicans all play the same way (not saying they play like Mexico, just an example). I find teams like the USA and Canada have more variety in the type of players we have, if you know what I mean.

Are speaking more in terms of things like patterns of play, for example?

What's the breakdown exactly? A handful of guys from Netherlands, a handful from Belgium, a few from France, one from Spain? I can see them not having an overly difficult time feeling each other out. All they really need to do is tell the French guys to slow it down a little and the ones born in Spain to speed it up and voila, they should all be on the same page.

28 minutes ago, Macksam said:

What's the breakdown exactly? A handful of guys from Netherlands, a handful from Belgium, a few from France, one from Spain? I can see them not having an overly difficult time feeling each other out. All they really need to do is tell the French guys to slow it down a little and the ones born in Spain to speed it up and voila, they should all be on the same page.

More importantly than any supposed disconnection was the lack of intensity they played with, if that's the right way to call it. The parts of the game I watched they managed to contain the American's physicality and athleticism. They seem to have a very big team. Yet they seemed to be playing several gears below what the Americans were. I don't know if that's because the USA were taking it more seriously, or whether because they were the home team, or just the young age of the American players, but they seemed far more fired up than the Moroccans. I know someone mentioned the travel, so maybe there was some fatigue, but maybe through experience they also knew nothing was riding on this game, so no reason to run yourself into the ground? I don't know. Maybe it was a lack of team spirit or something, given the supposed tensions between the manager and some of the players that we've been hearing about.

And of course, maybe I am reading way into what amounted to 45 minutes of football. I only watched the first half and the stream cut out for me at certain points.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, narduch said:

Dest is being transferred to Milan.

Pepi has been loaned out to Dutch mid table side Groningen 

Saw that last night. Dest was apparently in Milan on Wednesday to sign. I heard it was a loan deal with the option to make permanent for 20M euros. The permanent deal is optional, but would be a contract that runs until 2027. 

Dest hasn't played a single minute for Barca this season, far as I can tell, so the move is necessary for him. That said, he doesn't walk into the side at Milan. I understand that former Roma right back, and Italian international (Florenzi) is the starter and is thus ahead of him, though is out injured for 8 weeks, so that's his opportunity right there to impress. The captain (Calabria) is also a right back, so that's his competition in the short term, not Florenzi. 

Pepi's loan comes with no option to buy. If he doesn't light it up at Groningen there's no chance he makes Qatar, in my opinon.

Edited by Obinna