Mo Farsi

Reign

4 hours ago, Pasta88 said:

I’ll never blame a player for choosing a country they are eligible to represent under the current rules.

I will blame the eligibility rules though. It will always be a farce that players can represent countries they didn’t grow up playing the sport in. Farsi should never have been eligible for Algeria and on the flip side, players like LDF, Tomori, etc. should never be eligible to represent us. But alas, Fifa hasn’t put me in charge yet. Any day now…

Tomori is a tricky case, he was born in Canada but moved to England before turning 1.  Same for our very own JD, but in the opposite sense with the US.  So we can say they picked the countries they grew up in.  But where do we draw the line?  How about a kid who moves at 13 like Liam Millar?  Or another who moves at 9 for un-soccer related reasons.  I wouldn't complain if we axed the parental or g-parental link, it would probably improve the whole thing and remove a lot of the bullshit that goes with it.

Then we are left with deciding where to cutoff and limit a players eligibility for a country they only lived/developed for a short while.  Not an easy exercise.

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

Tomori is a tricky case, he was born in Canada but moved to England before turning 1.  Same for our very own JD, but in the opposite sense with the US.  So we can say they picked the countries they grew up in.  But where do we draw the line?  How about a kid who moves at 13 like Liam Millar?  Or another who moves at 9 for un-soccer related reasons.  I wouldn't complain if we axed the parental or g-parental link, it would probably improve the whole thing and remove a lot of the bullshit that goes with it.

Then we are left with deciding where to cutoff and limit a players eligibility for a country they only lived/developed for a short while.  Not an easy exercise.

Exactly. You can't just say you play where you developed. How long do you have to be playing there? 1 season of organized soccer? Playing with the neighborhood kids a few times? Playing at recess? You could have cases where a kid moves to a different country every few years. That kid isn't going to have one obvious answer for which country he "should" play for.

On 8/18/2024 at 3:31 PM, costarg said:

I’m fine with players being eligible for multiple countries if they lived parts of their childhood in two or more countries. It doesn’t even have to be strict. If you live a minimum of two years past the age of 4 in a country then you’re eligible for that country assuming you satisfy the passport requirement (which is another can of worms given how different citizenship rules can be around the globe). There I solved it.

Liam Millar is thus eligible for both England and Canada. Eustaquio with Portugal and Canada. Etc.

David is thus only eligible for Canada. Tomori is only eligible for England. If Tomori wanted to represent Canada then you may say this rule is unfair. But is it unfair that he can’t represent other countries? What if he wanted to represent Brazil because he grew up idolizing Thiago Silva? Should that be allowed?

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Looks like he has the start out wide right for Algeria today against Liberia in the AFCON qualifiers.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/sXXhw9W4c7RTBXEp/

https://www.cafonline.com/caf-africa-cup-of-nations/match-centre?competition=601&season=2024&match=2459897

Au Revoir Middle Finger GIF by CANAL+