Lowell Wright

Bdog

Posted (edited)

I really think this was a case of the "freshman 15" and it's all on him. While he was with York he was likely living at home and getting his meals made for him. He moved to Vancouver and he was on his own for the first time, just like a freshman. It's typical for someone on their own for the first time to gain weight. Instead of 15 it looks like he gained more than that. Maybe 30 or so, I don't know. You can blame York, Whitecaps, his parents or his school, but ultimately if he wants to be a pro he should know how to use a scale and have a general idea of which foods are healthy and which are not.

Edited by Kent

Yeah, I tend to put the blame on him as opposed to any single club.  Players that have gotten to this level don’t just randomly happen - they have pretty much always been playing footy at the highest levels they can compete at - and to play in those environments you have to put the work in.   He was at the TFC academy, Sigma, York, etc.   That is an elite training stream (in a Canadian context) where you know what is required to play at the top level.  And just like Ayo, if you don’t have the discipline to train hard enough to stay lean and efficient, that is on you.   No one playing at this level gets to stay there by being talented but lazy.   

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I hope he figures out his food discipline issues.

One story I heard is they put him on  strict diet at Vancouver and he was sneaking out at night to get McDonalds. He won't get far if he can't rein that in.

Was it the same as the Marlon Brando rumour: that he had canoe-fuls of cheeseburgers paddled to him when Coppola put him on a diet during Apocolypse Now filming? 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Why not, trials don’t hurt and I mean it could go well and he figures it out. This isnt a talent issue.

Hoping for the best for the guy, but I am deeply skeptical. I sat a few seats away from him at a VFC match and he seems like a nice kid but he evidently doesn't have the cut or attitude of a pro atm.

What I find way more interesting is just how amazing that list of potential clubs is, that the kind of guy who might have just disappeared already even five or ten years ago now is seen as some amazing unrealized "Canadian" product. He can thank the likes of Kone, Bair, Cornelius, etc. for that, I guess.

4 minutes ago, nolando said:

Hoping for the best for the guy, but I am deeply skeptical. I sat a few seats away from him at a VFC match and he seems like a nice kid but he evidently doesn't have the cut or attitude of a pro atm.

What I find way more interesting is just how amazing that list of potential clubs is, that the kind of guy who might have just disappeared already even five or ten years ago now is seen as some amazing unrealized "Canadian" product. He can thank the likes of Kone, Bair, Cornelius, etc. for that, I guess.

If diets his main issue at 21 I’m not worried that club can’t support him with that and I’m sure he’s learned from his mistakes with Vancouver.

54 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I hope he figures out his food discipline issues.

One story I heard is they put him on  strict diet at Vancouver and he was sneaking out at night to get McDonalds. He won't get far if he can't rein that in.

Not too smart. He can just have it delivered to his home now, thus lowering the chances of getting caught.

54 minutes ago, RS said:

Not too smart. He can just have it delivered to his home now, thus lowering the chances of getting caught.

He was probably in a billet or shared apartment paid for by the club.

In any case, diet is also cultural, and it could also be a question of physiology, as he's heavy set. They have him at 6 feet and 185 pounds, it is not terrible. Luis Suárez was an inch shorter and 5 pounds lighter, though I think he's lost more recently.

I did not realize Lowell just turns 21 next month, he's younger than I thought.

I've mocked York for "not developing him properly", but it was at least somewhat tongue-in-cheek (ie for once it wasn't the Whitecaps fault on development, though some here definitely still tried).

In all honesty, it's disappointing it didn't work out with Vancouver. I think we'd all like to see a pathway continue to develop between the CPL and MLS, and this seemed like a great opportunity for that. Hope he does learn from it.

10 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I've mocked York for "not developing him properly", but it was at least somewhat tongue-in-cheek (ie for once it wasn't the Whitecaps fault on development, though some here definitely still tried).

In all honesty, it's disappointing it didn't work out with Vancouver. I think we'd all like to see a pathway continue to develop between the CPL and MLS, and this seemed like a great opportunity for that. Hope he does learn from it.

He wasn’t overweight at York ?

4 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

He wasn’t overweight at York ?

My understanding is that it was the transition between clubs when put on the weight.

To be clear, I think Wright is responsible for his own demise here. Just a young player (hopefully) learning a valuable lesson about professionalism.

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

My understanding is that it was the transition between clubs when put on the weight.

To be clear, I think Wright is responsible for his own demise here. Just a young player (hopefully) learning a valuable lesson about professionalism.

He ate the food, but for me there’s a collective failure between all parties because he should have learned at York, but Vancouver and him never should have allowed it to get this bad. 

you’d think he would have been taught then and he’d have been monitored better at York. But then what the heck happened in Vancouver ? 

anyways he can bounce back.

1 minute ago, Dominic94 said:

He ate the food, but for me there’s a collective failure between all parties because he should have learned at York, but Vancouver and him never should have allowed it to get this bad. 

you’d think he would have been taught then and he’d have been monitored better at York. But then what the heck happened in Vancouver ? 

anyways he can bounce back.

If the player is (allegedly) sneaking out to get McDonald's, I don't know how you can blame that on the Whitecaps. This is on the player.

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

If the player is (allegedly) sneaking out to get McDonald's, I don't know how you can blame that on the Whitecaps. This is on the player.

For me it’s why wasn’t he held accountable sooner ? Like how was sense not knocked into him ?

13 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Like how was sense not knocked into him ?

Maybe they don't wanna deal with him when he's hangry?  Gotta pay someone a lot to deal with that shit at this level.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

For me it’s why wasn’t he held accountable sooner ? Like how was sense not knocked into him ?

He spent a significant amount of time not playing, especially initially. How much sooner did you want them to hold him accountable? What additional punishments would you put in place? I mean hell, you're on here now still trying to make excuses for him and blaming someone else for his mistakes.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

He spent a significant amount of time not playing, especially initially. How much sooner did you want them to hold him accountable? What additional punishments would you put in place? I mean hell, you're on here now still trying to make excuses for him and blaming someone else for his mistakes.

He wasn’t overweight when he got here ?  At the beginning… 

Looking toward the future, I thought I'd share my thoughts about all the different possibilities that have been floated:

Sogndal: Not a fan as it would be essentially a lateral move from the CPL. He might as well come home to help build the league until he get a transfer and hopefully help a CPL club make some money out of it...

Livingston: See above.

Dundee: Probably the best option IMO. Canadian players here and there have become something of a fixture in Scotland and there is some solid success stories like Bair and Johnston. Moreover, it would probably be less of a culture shock then most of the other European options. It would also be a decent jump from the CPL and even if he doesn't move further upward it's a high enough level that his playing there would contribute to further normalize Canadians playing in good leagues across the world and build the CPL's reputation

The one caveat to this is that I am not a fan of how things are turning out with Loturi, as we keep hearing that he is progressing really well in Ross County but no serious noises about an upward transfer and he is slowly and surely approaching his prime... However, there could be a bazillion explanation for it that wouldn't make Wright at Dundee less of a good idea.

Rosenborg: Basically a less ideal version of Ross United (with less of a track record of Canadians thriving there) at a similar level, although Jayden Nelson could be a good mentor for him there.

Amiens: See above without the bit about Jayden Nelson and at a somewhat lower level. The one caveat is that if he happens to be fluent in French he could have a significant advantage over other newcomers and even some not-so-newcomers. 

Villareal B: The high risks high rewards options. As much as I'd love to hear they are seeing him as a prospect for their top team he would probably just be another young player in a big club's system that they have not intention of actually using but want to sell for as high as they can. However, not all those players are created equals. Being seen by Villareal as just another player to make the numbers for their B team before he is shipped to some low level league somewhere is very different from being seen as an investment they hope to get a sizable return on by selling him to a club in a top ten league or a flagship club from another top flight in Europe.

Back to the CPL: Would be better then Sogndal or Livingston but definitely a disappointment at this stage. I want him to move upward compared to where he played before!

So overall in term of how preferable those options would be I'd say:

I. Dundee

II. Rosenborg

III. Villareal B

IV. Amiens

V. Back to the CPL

VI. Livingston

VII. Sogndal.

Edited by phil03