Lowell Wright

Bdog

He may have had an injury that caused him to reduce his exercise for a while, but my theory is still that he left his home (remember, he was just 18 when he moved to Vancouver) and gained the freshman 15, perhaps twice. Just might not have been ready for leaving home, and didn't have the responsibility to eat properly now that it was up to him to stock the fridge.

I hope he turns it around though, because he did have huge potential. But it will take a lot of work for him to turn that potential into something special.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
15 hours ago, VinceA said:

Got a hat-trick tonight.

Not sure what to make of Wright's chances at this point. He has a very powerful shot and can get it on target quickly and from range. His footwork is above average. But, he remains very heavy and appears out of shape even at the end of the MLSNP season when you would presume they have had six months of daily training.

He's been given starts for most of the season (when healthy) including regular starts later in the season ahead of Gloire Amanda. Curious to see what the Whitecaps do with him.  

2 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Not sure what to make of Wright's chances at this point. He has a very powerful shot and can get it on target quickly and from range. His footwork is above average. But, he remains very heavy and appears out of shape even at the end of the MLSNP season when you would presume they have had six months of daily training.

He's been given starts for most of the season (when healthy) including regular starts later in the season ahead of Gloire Amanda. Curious to see what the Whitecaps do with him.  

Think you stick with him, see it through he can play.

• 7 months later...

He thought he was a guy. 

He's in the same boat as Akinola for me, and it sucks because they have their fate in their hands...just put the food down, lose f#%^****## weight, and the promise will return. 

It'll be interesting to see if a CPL opportunity returns, and how he'll do as the league has gotten better since he left. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, narduch said:

Lol. I think you mean the Whitecaps?

Agreed,

I have a feeling he was on his own and definitely not guided on how to be a pro.

Anytime a player loses his fitness in this fashion you have to look to the club, he didn’t have this problem at York.

@Footyeh any insight ?

Edited by Dominic94

10 hours ago, Shway said:

He thought he was a guy. 

He's in the same boat as Akinola for me, and it sucks because they have their fate in their hands...just put the food down, lose f#%^****## weight, and the promise will return. 

It'll be interesting to see if a CPL opportunity returns, and how he'll do as the league has gotten better since he left. 

100% same boat as Akinola. It’s too bad because both had immense potential with their physical attributes. 

Is something wrong with Wright from a health perspective though? I find it very hard to believe that a teenager could blow up that much whilst playing professional soccer even if they were trying. 

3 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

No I was putting this on the whitecaps.

I know, you're just wrong. The Whitecaps don't have a history of players showing up out of shape. This is on York for failing to prepare a young player to step up to the next level.

Maybe it's mainly on the young guy himself? If you want to be a pro athlete it's probably best to avoid having a waistline that resembles the Michelin man. He's still young enough to turn it around but it's really up to him in the first instance to get back to being the sort of player that a CanPL or MLS club would want to have around.

18 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I know, you're just wrong. The Whitecaps don't have a history of players showing up out of shape. This is on York for failing to prepare a young player to step up to the next level.

He started gaining while he was in Vancouver under their watch, guy wasn’t at home anymore. It’s up to the Whitecaps to insulate their youth.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

He started gaining while he was in Vancouver under their watch, guy wasn’t at home anymore. It’s up to the Whitecaps to insulate their youth.

He didn't put that much weight on after just arriving in Vancouver. Whitecaps would have given him a dietary plan. Everyone else including other youths were capable of sticking to it. York just didn't train him on being a professional.

Uhhh…. Maybe it’s on him.  I find it quite interesting to watch a debate over who to blame for someone’s own problem. He’s the professional.  He needs to take personal responsibility for his own situation.  Perhaps either or both clubs could have done better to help him but frankly, we have no idea what they did good or bad.  We do know by his weight gain that unless he has a freak medical condition, he certainly didn’t live up to his own part of being a professional.