Theo Corbeanu

jordan

Ends 1-1. As I say, only watched from about 10 min before he came on. 

Take back all my snarky remarks about the coach, he played Theo, give him credit. He put him into a defensive formation that needed a lot of discipline in a critical match with a man down, and gave him 30 minutes, subbing out a Uruguayan international. 

Theo did not look out of place. Las Palmas even 11 v 11 are a possession team, García Pimienta the coach was at Barça B for years, and has an attractive positional possession style. So Theo was put in to chase a lot of balls he was not going to get to, in his own half, and to hold position and keep the threats minimized, which was the case for the entire Granada team.

Considering Granada was playing with 10 and had 4-5 new players, they did quite well. 

He was a bit slow getting to his mark a few times, getting used to that quicker pace of a higher level. He had a counter where he centered, and on the replay I see it was a good cross, looking for two Granada attackers in the box, and a defender headed long well. Then another when he held and found another mid attacking into his channel, and that was a good attacking play. He misjudged a few headers. Had a long ball across the middle late from his wing in his own half, which was a no-no, it was intercepted and gave Las Palmas an attacking play. 

I think he did lose his mark on the Las Palmas goal. Not overstating, but the fullback went to cover wide and the mid Theo was covering broke into the hole, broke the offside, and centred far post for the header. I think in a defensive shell a man down, the fullbacks should stay in close to the CBs and the mids should be the ones covering the wider play. So I'd argue Theo did not have to be there, but he was and could have done better. As could have the FB and the defenders on the goal scorer.

Amazing that he got his debut after 1 training session in an important moment of the match as well when the team was up 1-0 and a man down.  I do have to say he looked nervous throughout, had a couple good moments but also a couple of “no-no” moments which UT put it above.  

Hopefully he can build on this and he should.  Looked like he was missing understanding with all the players and what was being asked of him but that’s natural considering his arrival only 2 days ago.  

1 hour ago, Footyeh said:

Amazing that he got his debut after 1 training session in an important moment of the match as well when the team was up 1-0 and a man down.  I do have to say he looked nervous throughout, had a couple good moments but also a couple of “no-no” moments which UT put it above.  

Hopefully he can build on this and he should.  Looked like he was missing understanding with all the players and what was being asked of him but that’s natural considering his arrival only 2 days ago.  

Sorry I don't entire agree with this part, though I know what you mean. To me he looked surprisingly integrated into the squad, positionally was disciplined, worked with the RB and the other mid to cover the rival's attack. Had a few steals even. His teammates found him, no one was gesticulating at him oddly. He was even speaking with fellow player Uzuni on the pitch. Found time in a defensive set-up to get forward on the counter a couple times. He seem to have been told to be on the right of the midfield and defend like hell, but get forward when possible, becoming the 2nd striker, and he did that. Only on one play lost his mark, they scored. They had 4 shots to Las Palmas' 17, 28% possession, gave up 9 corners. And were playing with a man down since m 24, so for me it should not be over thought. 

I realise I was harsh too, and someone could criticize me for it, but he showed his coach he is definitely material they can work with. 

For Granada, they may actually gain a point on rivals as those immediately above--Cadiz, Celta, Sevilla-- could easily lose tomorrow.

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Las Palmas get one back. You could say the guy who got the assist, who broke the offside, was Theo's man. If you think he should have been on the back line, but it is fair to say he missed his mark. 

He's on the right side middle in a 4-4-1.

That’s the way I saw it. Tough ask to play your first minutes on a new team at this level while down a player. 

I thought he had some good play, a few defensive plays and a couple of nice passes. Apart from the goal, he did not look out of place, which is great.

Listened to the coach's press conference, and all he said was that the new players had to come on in hard circumstances. That the Las Palmas goal came from a missed adjustment without naming names. They were more concerned about the 1st half red, arguable (the VAR assistant apparently argued against it, citing the rulebook), the goal they had called offside 2nd half, when the VAR lines were run in an unusual manner. 

Next Sunday at Barcelona, 9pm.

On 2/2/2024 at 4:45 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

We are talking about partially two different things, I think. No matter how strong a starting 11 is, your supporters were crying out for some depth in attack and it didn't really come.    

I watched the game against Man U.  They pulled Bellegarde, not sure he -  a central midfielder - is your solution, if someone goes down again.  Which over half a season, is certainly in the realm of possibilities.  Best of luck, in hoping that doesn't happen. 

Swiss games are often free on the Onefootball app.  I watched a lot of Corbeanu again.  He was better all-round player, made better decisions, as compared to the last time I got to see him and certainly when you were saying he would get minutes for Wolves.  I would not say he hit a wall, he had a injury but played 45 minutes or more in the last 4 games before his recall.  Here's hoping he gets his chances in Spain. 

Half the supporters cry every time we don't sign someone and want to ship of all our players. 

We are fine up front for the rest of the year. Better to spend money in summer when players are cheaper. 

We could have brought in a few players, but they wouldn't have played. 

Bellegarde can play wing, I think Gary made a mistake because Sarabia usually plays there and him and Cunha switch constantly. Bellegarde didn't switch. Sarabia is back and Hwang is back soon. We also have Nathan Fraser who likely get that spot with two injuries, if they happen. 

I think by hit a wall, I meant in regards to his loan. Which when Wolves were rumoured to sell, you knew his minutes would drop. 

Good result for his new club yesterday after an early red. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Listened to the coach's press conference, and all he said was that the new players had to come on in hard circumstances. That the Las Palmas goal came from a missed adjustment without naming names.

He certainly looked a little confused on thw goal. Seemed to randomly be chasing the ball

Goal is at 2:10 of video.

Other than that he looked very good. Such a hard difficult moment for him to see his first La Liga playing time, down a player. He looked great in space whenever he had a chance to run

Edited by blueseeka
tried a different video link

1 hour ago, blueseeka said:

He certainly looked a little confused on thw goal. Seemed to randomly be chasing the ball

After seeing the play, it didn't look as bad as expected.

Yes. He looked confused and was randomly chasing, but at least he applied some type of pressure. Defs should have stuck with his man. I'm more concerned by the marking in the box. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

Halfway through the second half I realized the older guy beside me was wearing a Hockey Canada centennial cap. After yapping at him all game.

He told me he was from Moncton but works in Singapore, stayed on after working all week to see the game. I said there's a Canadian at Granada, he asked who, then told me yeah, he knew who Corbeanu was. Always find there are far more Canadians into football than we realize.

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Halfway through the second half I realized the older guy beside me was wearing a Hockey Canada centennial cap. After yapping at him all game.

He told me he was from Moncton but works in Singapore, stayed on after working all week to see the game. I said there's a Canadian at Granada, he asked who, then told me yeah, he knew who Corbeanu was. Always find there are far more Canadians into football than we realize.

Yes I agree and  we had a glimpse of that during WCQ, starting with the home game vs Panama and then CR, Mexico, USA and Jamaica. TV viewership was incredible. It's unfortunate  we have not been able to build momentum. 

Edited by Kadenge

For me, Pellistri who they got on loan from Man Utd was MOTM, and he's ahead of Theo on the depth chart, clearly. He was good, incisive, had an assist and a goal I think. 

As I was saying, I was pretty sure Theo was warming up first half, down 1-0, then when Granada scored late 1st half, they came out in the 2nd and he was not warming up. Hard to tell on the other side of the field in the warm-up gear, but he is quite tall, has a long head, and does not have a defender's build. The Olympic Stadium is a shit venue for football, too far away from everything. But that is a good sign, that if they were down a goal he may have been brought on. 

They are home to Almeria next Sunday, must win vs. the bottom dweller. My only other reasonable chance to see them is last fixture of the year at Girona, which is an hour and a bit from here. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Cool looking stadium (Grenada)

Almeria up 1-0 at 20'. 
Grenada equalizes at 74'
Grenada had a penalty call overturned at 78'
Grenada 1 Almeria 1 FT

Grenada makes all five subs, no Theo
Apparently Almeria has a 27 game winless streak

I was only half watching but I guess the TV director of this game didn't like Theo as much as the guy who directed the Inter game liked Tajon.  I didn't even get a sight of Theo (not saying it didn't happen)

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They've postponed tomorrow's 2pm match at Valencia for the tragic building fire, they don't know the death count, are still looking for the missing and Valencia CF requested not to play. Until further notice. 

Sorry it was set for Granada, good of them to respect this request. Other Valencia teams did similar.

It'll probably be played first midweek of April.

Granada's next match is now next Sunday at Villarreal.

• 2 weeks later...