Theo Corbeanu

jordan

All best wishes, being somewhere permanent he should get his chance.  Hopefully he can make things happen and keep them up.  

The only shame is that Wolves didn't think he could help them, in a presently, very, very thin attack.  £750,000 is not going to do much to solve their financial woes.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

It is a weird sentiment though.  Corbeanu is the same player he was 2 weeks ago.  Same as Larin, we all knew his capabilities, all watch him closely, but it seemed like once he got into a LaLiga side everyone else thought he had made a huge jump in skill/abilities.  Same with Tajon, he may be with Inter, but he is still the same guy who didnt light up the jupiter league and yet shows such special talent in WCQ against top national teams.  Its like we have a lazy or biased way of looking at players.  Put up pictures of Tajon with Brugge, CMNT and Inter jerseys on and people will give him wildly different skill ratings mainly based on the jersey.  

As for Theo, I dont get to see him much at all, but if he did OK in Championship with Blackpool, and in the Swiss league, why wouldnt he be good enough to get some games in a bottom LaLiga team??  Like UT said, mb some of the doors are opening for CDN, people are actually looking at our guys without negative sterotypes attached to them.  

We were just undervalued for years, now we're like those mid range Hondurans or Panamanians who found their way into top leagues. Every week they hear "canadiense" now, in LaLiga, it's not something that phases anyone. It's like weren't good enough to deserve anything more than less than what we were worth. No more.

Was just going to add, it really is hard to figure: Chinese owned team, the new sporting director Tognozzi is just 36 and was head of scouting at Juventus after 6 years, earlier had been at Zenith and other clubs (not a former player). The coach is from Uruguay, also young, no experience in Europe. I have no clue how that all adds up, but someone got convinced about some report from the Swiss league. Odd.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

30 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

All best wishes, being somewhere permanent he should get his chance.  Hopefully he can make things happen and keep them up.  

The only shame is that Wolves didn't think he could help them, in a presently, very, very thin attack.  £750,000 is not going to do much to solve their financial woes.  

Did you see that transfer fee somewhere, I haven't seen anything?

I speculated that the sale would be between a million and 1.5, you are saying it was lower?

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Did you see that transfer fee somewhere, I haven't seen anything?

I speculated that the sale would be between a million and 1.5, you are saying it was lower?

It was from a Wolverhampton local paper, could be wrong, I guess. 

Edit: Found the source https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2024/02/01/wolves-striker-set-to-leave-for-spain-on-deadline-day/

I doubt even £1.5 mil does them that much good. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It was from a Wolverhampton local paper, could be wrong, I guess. 

Edit: Found the source https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2024/02/01/wolves-striker-set-to-leave-for-spain-on-deadline-day/

I doubt even £1.5 mil does them that much good. 

About 900,000 euros. 

Millar was sold to Basel for 1.3 million pounds. 

I guess these are the quantities we might expect.

Official Statement | Theo Corbeanu, new Granada CF player
February 1 2024

Granada Club de Fútbol and Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club have reached an agreement for the transfer of Theo Corbeanu to the Nasrid team.

Theodor Alexander Corbeanu (Ontario, Canada, 2002) trained in the youth ranks of Toronto FC from where he was signed by the Wolves U-18 team and then made the jump to the U-21 team. From the English team he has been on loan on different occasions to teams such as Sheff Wed, MK Dons, Blackpool, the German Arminia Bielefeld or the Swiss Grasshoppers. In this campaign he has played 18 games, scoring one goal and giving one assist.

Furthermore, although he began playing with the youth teams of the Romanian national team, he finally debuted with the senior team of his country of birth, Canada, with whom he has played seven games.

The Club welcomes Corbeanu as a new red-and-white footballer and wishes him the best of luck on his arrival at the entity.

oBpDFTa.png

10 hours ago, narduch said:

Is his nickname the Bear?

Most comments think it's ridiculous. I do a bit too. Mind you, typical fanbase with no clue criticizing signings with no basis.

Does he speak Romanian? Being very Latin based, he should catch Spanish quickly. 

Btw, they call themselves "nazarí", Nasrid, in reference to the last Islamic dynasty in Spain, which fell in Granada in 1492.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Him and Mitrovic spear to still be close. They travelled together over new years. Mitrovic went to Hellas Verona who is just above the relegation zone in Italy. They were even sold for roughly the same price.

I'm not over the fact he doesn't play for us, but incredible that 2 young guys were developed in Hamilton that are now both in top 4 leagues. 

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This guy Jozwiak from Charlotte they signed, is he any good?

Like, is he better than Shaffelburg?

I mean, is JavierF maybe right?

Supposedly Theo is to compete with him for the spot.

Shaffelburg is a pretty good comparison as far as style of play. By DP standards he was pretty underwhelming.

Looks like Granada are in big trouble in the table and they’ve made several signings this window. 

18 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

That’s fair- I just feel like other young players a lot more highly- Brym, Bombito, JRR; different positions for sure, but I was always disappointed in how few appearances TC got. He has improved over the last year, so maybe if Herdman was still the coach he’d be calling him up next window, but I figured he wasn’t too sold on him. 

Herdman convinced Corbeanu to switch so he was sold on him.  It was just a numbers game though; it's hard to find a spot for him on the team with how Herdman built squads. To make the team Herdman would have had to drop one of Tajon, Laryea, or Hoilett and that wasn't happening.

Now though I can see Hoilett being dropped for Theo.

15 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It’s a little surprising the way they handled him and how little they got. Did he ever get a shot in preseason even?

A 21 year old being dubbed one of the best players for his club in Switzerland must have some sell on clauses attached. Otherwise that is a really low transfer fee for a player like this.