Theo Corbeanu

jordan

46 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Looks like a bad result but Villarreal B promoted to Spanish 2nd division this spring, they're the only B team in 2nd tier Spain. 

It was just a Wolves training game. No subs and all starters were the guys that didn't get much gametime during the preseason. Basically their under 23 squad

8 hours ago, blueseeka said:

It was just a Wolves training game. No subs and all starters were the guys that didn't get much gametime during the preseason. Basically their under 23 squad

Still, it's EPL players vs a Liga B squad just promoted, the entire A team of Villarreal, including many B players was away at Reims. So it's a poor result, and more so since La Liga pre-season started later than theirs. 

Upward and onward. Wolves still have a couple more pre-season games left vs Sporting and Farense. Hopefully, Corbeanu can continue getting playing time and stick with the club.

The commentators in the last game seemed to think he might stick with Wolves until January before potentially going out on loan. Definitely something to keep an eye on. 

Wolves agree transfer for forward as Raul Jimenez gives injury update
Planetnewspost July 28 2022

Corbeanu set for loan move

Wolverhampton Wanderers have agreed to loan forward Theo Corbeanu to Blackpool for the upcoming Championship season, BirminghamLive understands.

Canada international Corbeanu, 20, has just returned from Spain where he was part of Wolves’ 10-day training camp at the Melia Villaitana resort in Benidorm. The livewire forward featured in Wolves’ friendlies with Alaves, Levante, Besiktas and Villarreal B.

However, Bruno Lage doesn’t currently see Corbeanu in the first team picture at Wolves and a loan move to the Tangerines has been agreed. Corbeanu’s move to Blackpool should be concluded swiftly and he could be involved in their Championship opener with Stoke City at the weekend.

A loan switch to Blackpool represents a step up for Corbeanu, who spent last season in League One with Sheffield Wednesday and MK Dons respectively. Corbeanu spent the first half of the campaign on loan at Hillsborough before Wolves recalled him in January and sent him to the high-flying Dons.

Corbeanu managed three goals and three assists in 29 appearances in League One. He will now get to test himself under Michael Appleton at Bloomfield Road.

Blackpool set to sign Wolves and Canada forward Theo Corbeanu on season-long loan
The Seasiders are set to bring in another Premier League addition
LancsLive July 28 2022

Blackpool are set to sign Wolves forward Theo Corbeanu on a season-long loan, Lancs Live understands.

Michael Appleton has been keen to bring in fresh faces in the front three with Corbeanu adept in any of the three positions across the frontline. The Seasiders initially enquired about the availability of the 20-year-old Canadian a few weeks ago it's understood as they weighed up their recruitment options and now they have been able to secure his services following spells at Sheffield Wednesday and MK Dons last campaign.

Corbeanu will have a medical with Blackpool on Thursday ahead of the switch.

A standout performer in MK's play-off semi final second leg against Wycombe Wanderers, Corbeanu is highly rated at Molineux and it's understood he wants a chance out on loan in order to secure his place in Canada's World Cup squad for Qatar 2022. An exciting talent to watch on the ball, Corbeanu will add competition for places in the forward line which is much needed heading into the Championship season opener against Reading on Saturday.

The Seasiders have continued to track the progress of Manchester City winger Morgan Rogers and it is unclear what Corbeanu's arrival means for that situation. Corbeanu will join Lewis Fiorini and Rhys Williams in the group of Premier League loanees Blackpool have acquired so far this summer.

5 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Blackpool set to sign Wolves and Canada forward Theo Corbeanu on season-long loan
The Seasiders are set to bring in another Premier League addition
LancsLive July 28 2022

Blackpool are set to sign Wolves forward Theo Corbeanu on a season-long loan, Lancs Live understands.

Michael Appleton has been keen to bring in fresh faces in the front three with Corbeanu adept in any of the three positions across the frontline. The Seasiders initially enquired about the availability of the 20-year-old Canadian a few weeks ago it's understood as they weighed up their recruitment options and now they have been able to secure his services following spells at Sheffield Wednesday and MK Dons last campaign.

Corbeanu will have a medical with Blackpool on Thursday ahead of the switch.

A standout performer in MK's play-off semi final second leg against Wycombe Wanderers, Corbeanu is highly rated at Molineux and it's understood he wants a chance out on loan in order to secure his place in Canada's World Cup squad for Qatar 2022. An exciting talent to watch on the ball, Corbeanu will add competition for places in the forward line which is much needed heading into the Championship season opener against Reading on Saturday.

The Seasiders have continued to track the progress of Manchester City winger Morgan Rogers and it is unclear what Corbeanu's arrival means for that situation. Corbeanu will join Lewis Fiorini and Rhys Williams in the group of Premier League loanees Blackpool have acquired so far this summer.

He'll get his chance to earn a spot. If he's producing in the Championship that will definitely put him in the conversation.

Theo Corbeanu player profile as Wolves forward set for medical ahead of Blackpool move
The Seasiders are set to sign the 20-year-old on a season-long loan from Wolves
LancsLive July 28 2022

Theo Corbeanu will have a medical with Blackpool today ahead of a season-long loan switch from Wolves.

The 20-year-old forward, who can play across all three front positions, will provide much needed final third competition for places in Michael Appleton's aggressive 4-3-3 system. Having spent time on loan at Sheffield Wednesday and MK Dons in League One last season, Corbeanu sees a switch to Bloomfield Road as the ideal opportunity to cement his place in the Canada squad ahead of the 2022 Qatar World Cup, it's understood.

Corbeanu's grounding at Wolves in the youth setup following his switch from Canadian side Toronto FC in 2018 was under the tutelage of experienced U23 coach James Collins, who worked closely with former Seasiders Head Coach Neil Critchley in the Crewe Alexandra youth system.

“He’s athletic, tall, can head it, can defend, can dribble past people and score, he can shoot, he can pass, he’s both footed, he’s got a bit of everything," Collins told Birmingham Live of Corbeanu's talents.

“Theo can be anything he wants to be,” Collins continues. “He’s an outstanding prospect. But, and there’s always a but with these players, he’s got to learn to play within the system and play with the others, adapt his game for different scenarios and situations.

“He’s got to keep improving and he knows that, he’s another good kid who wants to learn - but I think Theo can be as good as he wants to be.”

Learning those elements of the game was fundamental to his progress as a player and loan spells at Sheffield Wednesday and MK Dons last season have provided the perfect platform for him to harness those skills. Originally a goalkeeper during his foundation years as a child, Corbeanu quickly made a career for himself in more advanced areas with Collins believing a wide position in a front three is the best area for him to play.

Corbeanu initially represented Romania at youth international level but left in 2019 in order to maintain his eligibility for the senior Canadian national side. That move proved smart with a first call-up in 2020, albeit he had to withdraw due to club commitments. Called up again in March 2021 ahead of pivotal World Cup qualifiers, he scored four minutes into his international debut in a 5-1 victory over Bermuda.

Part of the final squad for the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup, Corbeanu tended to play a bench role for his country despite scoring in the opening group game as Canada made it all the way to the semi-finals before narrowly losing out to Mexico. He was latterly named Canada Soccer Youth Player of the year during that same campaign.

Blackpool fans know all too well the joys of a wide player in advanced positions getting you off your feet with Josh Bowler providing moments of magic. Corbeanu's arrival will only excite and entertain the masses further and whilst his three assists and three goals over 29 League One appearances isn't particularly inspiring - at his age, this feels like the perfect progression step under a Head Coach who knows how to get the very best out of young forwards.

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

“Theo can be anything he wants to be,” Collins continues. “He’s an outstanding prospect. But, and there’s always a but with these players, he’s got to learn to play within the system and play with the others, adapt his game for different scenarios and situations.

“He’s got to keep improving and he knows that, he’s another good kid who wants to learn - but I think Theo can be as good as he wants to be.”

I think that says it all and is probably the reason he didn’t see as much of the field as we would have liked last year in League One.  The good thing is he has the tools.  The other part can be taught.

I know little about Blackpool, but on the surface this move appears to be a good one. Many of us called for his next loan to be the Championship and he's gotten that, despite an up-and-down season in League One. The Championship is the level where players doing well should be in contnention for a Canadian national team call, so I wonder if this could give him the inside track for a September camp call. It's in Europe as well, so you'd have to think it's now or never for Corbeanu if he wants to make the World Cup squad. Having featured in zero WCQ games (preliminary rounds aside), I had been already assuming he was going to miss out, but could he still have a puncher's chance at this Qatar thing?

The September window is a interesting one to me as part of me wants the squad to be best possible and get the boys prepared for the WC but another part of me wants it to have all the fringe players who are fighting for a spot like Corbeanu, Kolesoho, Kone, Mitrovic, Brym, Smith and Waterman.

Seasiders Confirm Signing of Theo Corbeanu
Blackpool FC blackpoolfc.co.uk July 28 2022

Blackpool Football Club is pleased to confirm the loan signing of Theo Corbeanu from Premier League side Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The 20-year-old Canada international, capped six times for his country, joins the Seasiders for the duration of the 2022/23 Sky Bet Championship season.

An exciting attacking player, Corbeanu made his league debut for Wolves against Tottenham Hotspur in May 2021 and spent last season on loan with Sheffield Wednesday and MK Dons, helping the latter to reach the play-offs in the second half of the campaign.

Recently back from a 10-day training camp with the Wolves first-team squad, Corbeanu has agreed a new contract at Molineux prior to arriving at Bloomfield Road.

On joining Blackpool, Theo Corbeanu said:

“This is a Club with a lot of history and big ambitions. I’m really excited to get started here. I spoke to Connor Ronan, a team-mate of mine at Wolves, about making this move and he had only good things to say about the Club.

“I’m now looking forward to playing here in front of all the fans, trying to make a name for myself and helping Blackpool get in a good position for the season.”  

Head Coach Michael Appleton added:  

“We are delighted to have Theo on board. He’s a player that I’ve personally tried to sign a couple of times over the last 18 months or so. He’s got clear quality and he can play on either side, so he gives us options. Theo’s also got aspirations of playing in the World Cup with Canada and doing well with them. He’s very direct, sees a pass and has an eye for goal. We’re all looking forward to working with him.”   

So this is his 4th team in 2 years, right?  Am I the only one getting a little concerned?  Doesn't sound like he really tore it up in League 1.  I don't mind the low numbers so much, but it irks me when I see a young guy getting shovelled off to different teams over and over.  Especially when none of the borrowers seem to be pushing to retain the player.   

1 minute ago, costarg said:

So this is his 4th team in 2 years, right?  Am I the only one getting a little concerned?  Doesn't sound like he really tore it up in League 1.  I don't mind the low numbers so much, but it irks me when I see a young guy getting shovelled off to different teams over and over.  Especially when none of the borrowers seem to be pushing to retain the player.   

Its pretty common for EPL teams to do that with younger players.

Ugbo has quite a list of clubs too.

15 minutes ago, costarg said:

None of the borrowers ever had the option of retaining the player. Wolves are not looking to sell.

I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the articles you guys just posted, but a bit earlier I read (on twitter, I think) that along with announcing the loan, Wolves signed him to a new 4 year contract.  Anyone else see that anywhere?

That would be a great endorsement of what they think his potential is, if it's true.