Theo Corbeanu

jordan

10 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

There is no way this guy is not invested in the team. He has been sharing things all afternoon on Instagram. The only thing I don't know isnif Millar can't get onto the field then how does Corbeanu?

This. I think it was the right decision for him (as well as for the CMNT) to stay with MKDons. A solid string of club starts and he may be better able to get minutes next window

That is how I see it as well. Millar can't get consistent minutes with this squad (because of the depth) so I think currently Theo slots behind him in the depth chart.

I don't like the blanket assessments to callups. Each case is unique. I am sure the conversation between Herdman, Theo and club were that he was better served starting 4 games for Dons then probably not seeing anytime for CAD. Ideally League 1 wouldn't be playing games in a FIFA window but it is what it is. 

The most important thing for these young players is establishing themselves and breaking into starting lineups for their clubs. Theo is doing exactly that. He is 19. Onward and upward. 

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, and Herdman is smart enough to play the long game.  Theo will be back. Maybe even in March if Davies is still out.  Given what we have seen so far, and the level he is playing at, we will see lots of him in the years to come. 

Nations League..we have 4 games in June.  It will be interesting to see the roster for that one. 

3 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Nations League..we have 4 games in June.  It will be interesting to see the roster for that one. 

I know it is a bit premature, but with the end of this WCQ campaign now in sight, I am going to seriously enjoy this iteration of the NL.   Roster selection, the chance to continue prepping for Qatar, whether or not we capture any dual targets - it will be crazy interesting.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

On 1/31/2022 at 9:05 AM, dyslexic nam said:

I know it is a bit premature, but with the end of this WCQ campaign now in sight, I am going to seriously enjoy this iteration of the NL.   Roster selection, the chance to continue prepping for Qatar, whether or not we capture any dual targets - it will be crazy interesting.  

Plus we should be a top pot team. That will be a nice feeling.

Corbeanu focused article in the Athletic. Juicy tidbits are:

Corbeanu chants: “Theo, Theo, Theo, he’s better than Cristiano.”  “He goes left, he goes right, makes defenders look shite, he’s the Canadian magnifico.”

Judging on the song and on the fact there were five Canadian flags in the away end for the latter’s match away to Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday, he is making an impact.

Corbeanu was described as a “raw, undiluted attacking talent” at Wednesday, where he had such an impact on supporters that they sang his name for almost 30 minutes non-stop away to Crewe Alexandra in December.

Canada:  “The whole country is behind it — my friends from high school, my parents’ friends, my old team-mates, it’s crazy back home. I always slip back into fan mode. I was watching (the win over the US) with my mum and my brother, we were crazy after the goals. The goal right now, 100%, is to earn a place back in the squad. 

Canada v Romania: “It was tough (to switch), but I always wanted to play for Canada. At under-15 level, I had a showcase where the MLS academies came together and they made a roster from that tournament. I wasn’t picked. I was broken at the time — angry, frustrated, everything. Romania wasn’t a fall-back plan but I wanted to play for a nation and, having Romanian descent, I was able to get selected for one of the camps."

League vs u23 football (or can be CPL vs MLSNP): Physicality and passion are the biggest differences (in League One). You’ve got players like (Wednesday playmaker) Barry Bannan, who could still play in the Premier League with that ability and talent. It’s desire, to win the ball back, to play for results. Mistakes are allowed in the under-23s — they’re almost encouraged, because you’re developing and preparing for league football. You need to get results. In the last game against Wycombe, I didn’t have my best game, but I had a play that defined the game. I wanted more, but I helped the team get three points. That wasn’t going through my head this time last year, for the 23s.

https://theathletic.com/3100240/2022/02/03/theo-corbeanus-aiming-big-promotion-with-mk-dons-playing-at-the-world-cup-with-canada-making-the-grade-at-wolves/

Edited by red card

7 minutes ago, red card said:

Corbeanu focused article in the Athletic. Juicy tidbits are:

Corbeanu chants: “Theo, Theo, Theo, he’s better than Cristiano.”  “He goes left, he goes right, makes defenders look shite, he’s the Canadian magnifico.”

Judging on the song and on the fact there were five Canadian flags in the away end for the latter’s match away to Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday, he is making an impact.

Corbeanu was described as a “raw, undiluted attacking talent” at Wednesday, where he had such an impact on supporters that they sang his name for almost 30 minutes non-stop away to Crewe Alexandra in December.

Canada:  “The whole country is behind it — my friends from high school, my parents’ friends, my old team-mates, it’s crazy back home. I always slip back into fan mode. I was watching (the win over the US) with my mum and my brother, we were crazy after the goals. The goal right now, 100%, is to earn a place back in the squad. 

Canada v Romania: “It was tough (to switch), but I always wanted to play for Canada. At under-15 level, I had a showcase where the MLS academies came together and they made a roster from that tournament. I wasn’t picked. I was broken at the time — angry, frustrated, everything. Romania wasn’t a fall-back plan but I wanted to play for a nation and, having Romanian descent, I was able to get selected for one of the camps."

League vs u23 football (or can be CPL vs MLSNP): Physicality and passion are the biggest differences (in League One). You’ve got players like (Wednesday playmaker) Barry Bannan, who could still play in the Premier League with that ability and talent. It’s desire, to win the ball back, to play for results. Mistakes are allowed in the under-23s — they’re almost encouraged, because you’re developing and preparing for league football. You need to get results. In the last game against Wycombe, I didn’t have my best game, but I had a play that defined the game. I wanted more, but I helped the team get three points. That wasn’t going through my head this time last year, for the 23s.

https://theathletic.com/3100240/2022/02/03/theo-corbeanus-aiming-big-promotion-with-mk-dons-playing-at-the-world-cup-with-canada-making-the-grade-at-wolves/

A real in depth article.  Enjoyed it throughly.  Certainly showcases his passion for the national program. This part really stuck out for me.  

Hard not to think about playing in a World Cup, then?

“I think about it often, especially after these last games because it’s looking more likely. We haven’t qualified yet but it’s closer than ever, so it’s going through the back of my mind, dreaming of being in that team.

“The goal right now, 100 per cent, is to earn a place back in the squad. My performances here, the better I do the more chance I’ll have, so I’m only focusing on MK Dons. The better I do, the more likely I’ll get called up.

Yeah, that is 100% what I want from a kid who had options.  Chooses to play for use, is excited about the project, and is willing to fight like hell to be part of it.   

I totally get why he stayed where he was this window.  He probably wouldn’t have seen the field aside from some gift-minutes and instead he is solidifying a role that will see him grow all season.  Smart move by all parties to enable that to happen - all while he clearly still wants to be a part of this group.  

I am rooting for him.  

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, that is 100% what I want from a kid who had options.  Chooses to play for use, is excited about the project, and is willing to fight like hell to be part of it.   

I totally get why he stayed where he was this window.  He probably wouldn’t have seen the field aside from some gift-minutes and instead he is solidifying a role that will see him grow all season.  Smart move by all parties to enable that to happen - all while he clearly still wants to be a part of this group.  

I am rooting for him.  

I’m guessing Herdman is extremely transparent about this and gives players the option to do what’s best for them. 

go Theo!

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am rooting for him.  

100% agree - he made the smart choice to stay back and get his club games in.  He would have been lucky to get any more than a few minutes at the end of our last 3 games.

I'm excited for what the future holds for Theo. I think he will become a solid contributor for us down the road.

3 hours ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

"He HAtEs hiS NAtIOnaL TeAM"

Yeah right, sounds like he loves it more than some of the people on this forum... 

Good kid, great interview. So much potential and for everyones sake I hope he does make it to the World Cup team. 

Me too but then who do you drop to make room for him in Qatar?