Theo Corbeanu

jordan

1 minute ago, ag futbol said:

Twitter chatter out of Turkey that Besiktas has interest at the recommendation of Larin / Atiba.

Lazy speculation or actual fact, it’s not clear. Wouldn’t be the worst move. I think the kid should prioritize playing time above all else, although coming into the Prem is certainly a worthwhile goal.

Probably lazy speculation - wasn’t there a similar rumour about Baldisimo too?

i personally don’t think Besiktas would be a good move for Theo. It’s a high level, very physical and they have no patience.

2 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

Twitter chatter out of Turkey that Besiktas has interest at the recommendation of Larin / Atiba.

Lazy speculation or actual fact, it’s not clear. Wouldn’t be the worst move. I think the kid should prioritize playing time above all else, although coming into the Prem is certainly a worthwhile goal.

Everybody gets a recommendation!

18 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Soon enough Atiba's masterplan will come together and Besiktas will have a full 11 of Canadians.

Besiktas: the Canadian team in the Turkish Super Lig.  🙂
In all seriousness, we should not have a whole load of players on the same club team.  Diversity is experiences are a good thing.

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

In all seriousness, we should not have a whole load of players on the same club team.  Diversity is experiences are a good thing.

Meh.. worked out pretty well for Spain from 2008 to 2012. It is especially good for us given our lack of prep time. I'd argue that the diversity of experiences has actually harmed us as we've traditionally struggled to have an identity on the pitch.

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Meh.. worked out pretty well for Spain from 2008 to 2012. It is especially good for us given our lack of prep time. I'd argue that the diversity of experiences has actually harmed us as we've traditionally struggled to have an identity on the pitch.

Yeah, that works if you are Spain and you have Barcelona or Real Madrid in your country.  We are not Spain.  I can’t think of another (semi successful) country out there that doesn’t have players scattered in different teams or leagues.  It’s just the way of global football.

15 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Has Canada ever had a shortage in the diversity of experiences department? Our players learn and play the game all over the world, whereas most top footballing nations pull from a pool of players raised in the same pyramid  

I don't know if most national teams being scattered points to that being beneficial, or if it that is just a reality of modern soccer. I think Spain is an exception that proves the rule -- part of the reason they were so dominant at international level is because they had a familiarity with each other that no other national team could match.

Besides, having 3 or 4 players from the same team isn't that many. To use Poland as an example, I think it could only be construed as beneficial to the national team when Piszczek, Blaszczykowski, and Lewandowski were all at Dortmund together.

In the end I don't think it makes any real tangible difference.

51 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Except for the back line, that's a huge advantage.  I was soo disappointed when Cornelius and Henry split up.

1 hour ago, ag futbol said:

Would really depend how close he is to a breakthrough to the first team.  I know it would still be a ways off but another year at u23 wouldn’t be bad if he had a reasonable chance of the big show after that.  

Probably not a serious link, but I wouldn't mind him going there on loan if he's not going to feature in the first team for Wolves. That said, I can see him making a couple of first team appearances before the season ends, so at that point he may be better off staying and fighting for minutes next season.

23 hours ago, ag futbol said:

To me it’s so minor it’s not even worth pointing out.

For anyone who has actually refined their technical skills to the level Corbeanu has, sometimes you just end up doing things like that without much thought. Depending on your body positioning, momentum, etc... sometimes it’s the “fancy” first touch that comes naturally. 

Now that aside, I think maybe it’s time to shed the stereotypical Canadian self effacing mentality and actually let our players go out and play, compete, and win any damn way they want to. 

This is the type of guy that never wants to see a slam dunk in a basketball game. Always a layup. :P

Edited by Hawkguy

24 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

This is the type of guy that never wants to see a slam dunk in a basketball game. Always a layup. :P

That’s how it starts. First flicks, step overs, then, before you know it, Lebron James shows up and starts disregarding people’s personal safety.

The announcer said as much.

17 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

That’s how it starts. First flicks, step overs, then, before you know it, Lebron James shows up and starts disregarding people’s personal safety.

The announcer said as much.

Lol.  

“LeBron James with no regard for human life”

The announcer may have gotten caught up in the moment.  

1 minute ago, ag futbol said:

Overuse of superlatives probably in his job description.

It’s funny how some play by play guys are completely hyperbolic (soccer as guilty as any other) while some others aren’t.  I prefer the latter - but also get a kick out of the Jack Armstrong and Matt Devlin schtick for the Raps.  

• 2 weeks later...