Theo Corbeanu

jordan

1 hour ago, scullion44 said:

Granada just sacked their manager.

Took bad, he's a smart guy. Young with a good upside. And if Weissman had scored a 94th minute penalty they would have won so obviously wouldn't have fired him. Meaning it came down to that?

Granada has a rather inconsistent Chinese ownership group a lot of fans want out. They have an excellent roster, maybe better than last year's. Spanish 2nd division is killer competitive, many favourites to promote are sitting at the bottom after 6 fixtures, Almeria, Elche, Granada, the biggest budgets, also Deportivo. 10-12 have legit aspirations to promote. So you need consistency, look at the long term, not get nervous. 

It also means Theo will have to start again in terms of winning over his coach. 

8 hours ago, blueseeka said:

He was on teams that didn't stop for the international break. It is hard to call a guy to the team and risk him losing even more playing time

I just looked at the schedule when he was playing for Grasshopper.

First, they had no games from Oct. 7 to 18, 2023. He could have made the Japan friendly on Oct 13. 

Second, they had no games from Nov. 12 to 26, 2023 (save for a club friendly against Wil on Nov. 17). He could have made both Jamaica games on Nov. 18 and 21. 

Edit: I need to correct the second part of my post. I don't know if he was available for Jamaica, as he did pick up an injury in early November. That said, he played in Grasshopper's game on Nov. 26, so he may have been healthy enough for the second leg vs Jamaica. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

14 hours ago, blueseeka said:

I watched it. It was another Corbeanu crazy game.

Came on at 69' game tied 1-1

77' Good Corbeanu - comes flying into a cross for a shot on goal. Uzuni scores on rebound. 2-1 Granada

90'+1 Bad Corbeanu - wild slide tackle while defending outside box. Slid cleats up. He gets a yellow and Malaga gets a dangerous free kick. Free kick results in corner which Malaga scores 2-2

90'+6 Good Corbeanu- takes the corner for Granada. Ball lands perfect in box and defender takes down Granada player which results in penalty. Granada misses penalty

Game ends 2-2

I have always thought he is the best corner kicker in the CMNT system. Just can't be consistent enough to earn a callup or playing time

I rewatched his time this morning. I agree with you but maybe you're a bit harsh on the downsides. Like Granada gave up lots of corners and free kicks with yellows too that we're not his doing. Also you're right his free kicks have pace and are nicely placed. 

He defends with discipline, is in walls, in the box, double teams. 

Their second goal comes off his lovely first time centre back in off a cross. Which was actually going in from a tight angle. Defense clears right into the attacker Uzuni who scored.

In any case if they'd won the coach would surely have moved him up the pecking order, now it'll be his fourth coach in 8 months. 

2 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I just looked at the schedule when he was playing for Grasshopper.

First, they had no games from Oct. 7 to 18, 2023. He could have made the Japan friendly on Oct 13. 

Second, they had no games from Nov. 12 to 26, 2023 (save for a club friendly against Wil on Nov. 17). He could have made both Jamaica games on Nov. 18 and 21. 

Edit: I need to correct the second part of my post. I don't know if he was available for Jamaica, as he did pick up an injury in early November. That said, he played in Grasshopper's game on Nov. 26, so he may have been healthy enough for the second leg vs Jamaica. 

We did not call him in as a Liga player, getting minutes, and scoring as well.

Meanwhile the guy right in front of him in the same position at Granada, Pellistri, not only was called in by Uruguay, but started and had a big role for them at Copa. Pellistri had two goals to Theo's one at Granada with over triple the minutes. He's now at Panathinaikos.

There are biases in the Canadian programme, that is my simplistic explanation.

51 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Meanwhile the guy right in front of him in the same position at Granada, Pellistri, not only was called in by Uruguay, but started and had a big role for them at Copa. Pellistri had two goals to Theo's one at Granada with over triple the minutes. He's now at Panathinaikos.

I have no doubt Jesse has a look at Theo soon.  JH had a special way of picking his squad.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's a pretty broad statement. It could be true but I don't see much reason to believe that. Herdman and his staff certainly didn't value him as much as many of us thought he deserved. That could be for a number of reasons though, whether that's chemistry related or a personality clash with the staff, who knows.

Could easily be that they just didn't think he was ready or didn't give enough effort defensively or something. Which I think at some points was probably true. I haven't seen him in a while so maybe he's improved that aspect of his game, which it sounds like from comments here he has. 

Hopefully he can get back into the squad and we can see how he fits in Marsch's system. He seems like the type of player who could excel with his ability to play direct.

I have loved things Theo does since I watched him as a Wolves youf but this is going a little overboard. 

If there biases, then multiple coaches/managers at a number of clubs have the same biases.  Corbeanu has not started regularly for a while. 

If we want talk bias.  Saying a player is "scoring" when he picked up a single consolation goal in 5-1 loss, after not featuring in almost half the games available, is really biased wording. 

Playing on a top flight (even our pet top flights) team does not warrant an automatic call up if you are not playing regular minutes (Special circumstance like a proven Canadian player like Buchanan aside.) 

And now he is not in the top flight and still not starting. 

18 minutes ago, costarg said:

I have no doubt Jesse has a look at Theo soon.  JH had a special way of picking his squad.

Sorry (again have followed the kid for a while) but to be realistic and actually look at the reality of the situation. 

It would be a little "special" to pick a player who has been an unused sub in half his games on midtable club in a second tier league. Don't you think?

Again I really hope Theo finds the situation and form that will show the talent he clearly has but he's not being excluded on merit currently. 

There is no doubt that JH wanted players on the squad who displayed a certain personality trait and I don't think Theo was a fit. Cornelius was  part of the WC/WCQ squads but rarely (away to Jamaica) started or got mins and it may have been for the same reasons as Theo.

It's undeniably strange, especially when you add that context of Pellistri.

People can point to Theo and say, "Oh, but he's not getting enough minutes." But then you have other guys who have a few good MLS games, and bang, they're in the conversation for our squad.

I know we need to be humble and accept that MLS is still a good level to select from, but I cannot understand how a guy with LaLiga and EPL experience at just 22 years old cannot even crack a 20-something man roster. 

This is exactly what I was hoping he could avoid after going to Segunda. Riding pine on a Div. 2 team, even  as good as the league is. People see Div. 2, him not starting, and overlook his quality. But when he comes on, you notice him almost every time. 

I truly believe a Canada call may even help him get more club minutes. If Marsch shows belief in him, maybe the new club manager will, too. But the more he stays on the bench and not getting called, the worse his confidence will become and the less effective he will be. He has the tools. He just needs a chance. 

2 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

It's undeniably strange, especially when you add that context of Pellistri.

People can point to Theo and say, "Oh, but he's not getting enough minutes." But then you have other guys who have a few good MLS games, and bang, they're in the conversation for our squad.

I know we need to be humble and accept that MLS is still a good level to select from, but I cannot understand how a guy with LaLiga and EPL experience at just 22 years old cannot even crack a 20-something man roster. 

This is exactly what I was hoping he could avoid after going to Segunda. Riding pine on a Div. 2 team, even  as good as the league is. People see Div. 2, him not starting, and overlook his quality. But when he comes on, you notice him almost every time. 

I truly believe a Canada call may even help him get more club minutes. If Marsch shows belief in him, maybe the new club manager will, too. But the more he stays on the bench and not getting called, the worse his confidence will become and the less effective he will be. He has the tools. He just needs a chance. 

As I have been saying, their squad could even be deeper this year than last. So really they should be a good bet for promotion, and he's on contract. So as long as he is participating, getting minutes, he has a real shot of being on a Liga team next year. I don't want to exaggerate, but they have the 2nd biggest budge in the division.

I realize he is inconsistent, has very few minutes to prove his worth, then when he gets a rare start does not fully take advantage of it. So it is obviously on him. 

I think it is dumb they fired their coach for tying Málaga, a team that has played in Europe this past decade, after they missed a penalty to win in the final minute.

13 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I think he just needs a chance. Even when he was playing a lot for his club, he wasn't called. That kind of snub doesn't really help someone's confidence. He has the tools to be a huge asset for us. There's no question about that.

You love the kid.  I have too since I watched him years ago but a lot of merit-based selection seems to go out the window with a few posters and him. 

A (maybe English) football cliche unfortunately seems to apply here - "He gets better the less he plays."

Let him sort some kind of playing situation out and really get a run playing somewhere before we get upset about him not getting a call.  

Edit: 

If you are looking at everything else (coaches, situation, etc. etc) aside from the player's form, there is a problem.  No?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I honestly think if Theo was playing in MLS with more minutes people would pay attention. But he chose a more difficult path to play at the highest level. That has to count for something.

Only our top, top guys have reached the same ranks: JDG, Larin... who else played in LaLiga? Right. Not many. 

1 minute ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I honestly think if Theo was playing in MLS with more minutes people would pay attention. But he chose a more difficult path to play at the highest level. That has to count for something.

Only our top, top guys have reached the same ranks: JDG, Larin... who else played in LaLiga? Right. Not many. 

I'm confident that with new eyes JM will call him if he gets mins even as a sub with his club.

8 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Very obvious. 

He remained on the bench 7 times in La Liga.

He did the same 10 times in the Premier League.

Neither should affect his selection for Canada.

Again other stuff, like what path he chose, should not be a reason we call a player.  It should be their form and our need. 

5 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

They don't rate Spanish footbal. It is merely ideological. Fed by hype. Which feeds salaries.

Corbeanu has the same number top league goals as Koleosho, namely one, with less top flight minutes, but we keep fawning over Luca, with an obviously amazing upside and being younger. But those are the facts. 

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He remained on the bench 7 times in La Liga.

He did the same 10 times in the Premier League.

Neither should affect his selection for Canada.

Again other stuff, like what path he chose, should not be a reason we call a player.  It should be their form and our need. 

If you're going on the is basis then there are some guys who should be getting minutes, some who shouldn't be in the national team, some who should be called in.

It's funny because I think there is bias to player(s) in the national team that you and many posters here have displayed. But time and time again he gets opportunities that no other player gets, and at the same time players come in with less opportunities and make an impression in a shorter minutes. 

At some point, our La Liga 2 or B2 players will have to get looks like our Championship players do. 

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They don't rate Spanish footbal. It is merely ideological. Fed by hype. Which feeds salaries.

Corbeanu has the same number top league goals as Koleosho, namely one, with less top flight minutes, but we keep fawning over Luca, with an obviously amazing upside and being younger. But those are the facts. 

You were fawning over Koleosho big time...

until he committed the cardinal sin in your eyes of moving to England.

Everyone is biased but you😄.

12 minutes ago, Shway said:

If you're going on the is basis then there are some guys who should be getting minutes, some who shouldn't be in the national team, some who should be called in.

It's funny because I think there is bias to player(s) in the national team that you and many posters here have displayed. But time and time again he gets opportunities that no other player gets, and at the same time players come in with less opportunities and make an impression in a shorter minutes. 

At some point, our La Liga 2 or B2 players will have to get looks like our Championship players do. 

I agree with your general point.

I would appreciate knowing who specifically you are refering to here. 

Edit: We are all going to have biases about players we see more, but I think sometimes this gets taken to really silly levels.