Theo Corbeanu

jordan

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

He's on the bench for the season closer this evening at Girona. I had planned to go but since I saw he was not playing lately, decided to pass on the trip up. 

A bit contradictory from the coach Sandoval, who said yesterday he'd take u-19s and 2nd team players and give them minutes, but the line-up for tonight has a lot of the regulars they have failed with since January. The team also has 5-6 injuries and even then Theo is not playing. He has not made a decent case for himself these last months. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Granada getting pounded 5-0, all 5 subs on, no Corbeanu. I think I hate Granada more than any other team we have players with. What a trash club

They got a red so probably opted to not add an attacker for the last subs. Then he'd promised he'd play academy kids today. 

Sorry but Theo has to do more in training and when he plays to merit minutes. I'm a bit worried. I also hope he gets his Spanish up during the offseason because if he doesn't he's a fool.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They got a red so probably opted to not add an attacker for the last subs. Then he'd promised he'd play academy kids today. 

Sorry but Theo has to do more in training and when he plays to merit minutes. I'm a bit worried. I also hope he gets his Spanish up during the offseason because if he doesn't he's a fool.

Curious have you spoken to Theo recently?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Weren't we talking about how good his Spanish was just a few months ago. There was an interview when he first joined where he was speaking pretty good Spanish (for someone who JUST arrived in Spain). Admittedly, I could not suss out any fine details he may have been lacking, as I am not really conversational (let alone fluent) like yourself.

Are you saying now that his Spanish is a factor holding him back?

Edit -  to add....let's put things in perspective with Theo....he's a 22 year old attacker who was purpetually on loan from Wolves....a very average EPL club......and in all of those loans he was inconsistent.....aside from the last one.....playing with a Grasshopper side that struggled.

I think he's done well to even get 9 games with a relegated La Liga side. 

Now he hopefully gets a full season of playing regularly in La Liga 2, a level which we can realistically expect him to start games....if not shine in them.  

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

When you say he needs to do more in training, what are you basing that off of?

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

When you say he needs to do more in training, what are you basing that off of?

Nothing more than the few minutes. I don't know. If the coach was rotating and he's not in the rotation  it's a poor sign. 

Then his both starts he was subbed off at the half. That usually means something is wrong. If he was executing they wouldn't do it as it's unusual. 

This is why I believe he should work on his Spanish and assimilate into the group asap.

@Obinna where did you see him speaking Spanish? When they changed the coach I watched a long clip of training and he didn't seem to understand him.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Nothing more than the few minutes. I don't know. If the coach was rotating and he's not in the rotation  it's a poor sign. 

Then his both starts he was subbed off at the half. That usually means something is wrong. If he was executing they wouldn't do it as it's unusual. 

This is why I believe he should work on his Spanish and assimilate into the group asap.

@Obinna where did you see him speaking Spanish? When they changed the coach I watched a long clip of training and he didn't seem to understand him.

Now looking back, it's a shorter soundbite than I remembered, and anyone who speaks a Romance language (like him) could probably practice saying that and do decently with the pronouncation.

In retrospect, we probably we shouldn't assume his Spanish is great just based on that alone.

Not saying it isn't - I don't know. 

13 hours ago, Obinna said:

Weren't we talking about how good his Spanish was just a few months ago. There was an interview when he first joined where he was speaking pretty good Spanish (for someone who JUST arrived in Spain). Admittedly, I could not suss out any fine details he may have been lacking, as I am not really conversational (let alone fluent) like yourself.

Are you saying now that his Spanish is a factor holding him back?

Edit -  to add....let's put things in perspective with Theo....he's a 22 year old attacker who was purpetually on loan from Wolves....a very average EPL club......and in all of those loans he was inconsistent.....aside from the last one.....playing with a Grasshopper side that struggled.

I think he's done well to even get 9 games with a relegated La Liga side. 

Now he hopefully gets a full season of playing regularly in La Liga 2, a level which we can realistically expect him to start games....if not shine in them.  

You're right, his Spanish sounds good in that video. 

So if the language is not a problem, I hope he can work out the rest over the preseason.

Granada end up last in the league, after Almería run up the score on Cádiz 6-1 this afternoon, the other relegated teams. So they are even on points but head to head they lose out and are last. Very poor season. 

Most of the year those really watching were saying that Almería, which had not won a match, was the best worst team in the top leagues. Truth is they competed well. Granada had defending, especially, that was really second tier and did not give themselves a chance in so many games. 

They are rumouring for the coaching job Guille Abascal, a 35-year-old coach who was at Spartak Moscow recently, and I think was an assistant at Basel when Liam Millar was there, also head coached Lugano and was the youngest head coach of the top 30 leagues in Europe. The Swiss connection sounds like it could be a good fit for Theo.

22 hours ago, pod818 said:

7-0 now

probably a good thing he stayed on the bench

Dovbyk and Tsyhankov look fantastic and have been great all year. Ukraine could make some noise at Euros if they stay on form. These are the kind of guys MLS should target. 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Mattd97 said:
On 2/2/2024 at 8:39 AM, Mattd97 said:

excited to watch him dominate for 3 weeks and then never see the pitch again

⬆️

@Unnamed Trialist will talk about how he should have played better, and while maybe he could have done more with the recent starts, I still maintain that his production wasn't terrible vis-a-vis his 195 total minutes (especially for a guy who for whatever reason never seems to get called). 

Regardless, it appears he's going to end up in Segunda -- a shame. He really does need to make the most of that experience now.

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

18 hours ago, Soro17 said:

Dovbyk and Tsyhankov look fantastic and have been great all year. Ukraine could make some noise at Euros if they stay on form. These are the kind of guys MLS should target. 

I think they are both young enough to keep transferring up in Europe. But if you mean MLS should have been looking at guys like that before they went to Girona, sure. 

As long as a player feels going to MLS isn't a dead end, that they can still go back to Europe, then great. 

2 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

@Unnamed Trialist 

Regardless, it appears he's going to end up in Segunda -- a shame. He really does need to make the most of that experience now.

If he can get consistent playing time as a starter and under a coach that can develop his game further, it may be a blessing. Segunda is a decent level for a player that has yet to establish himself as a starter for any team.

Just now, Kadenge said:

If he can get consistent playing time as a starter and under a coach that can develop his game further, it may be a blessing. Segunda is a decent level for a player that has yet to establish himself as a starter for any team.

Added to the club's ambition to get back up. Segunda is very competitive, I'd say more than Championship this year and many, but they should be one of 6-7 promotion candidates.